ICT -V- Dundee Utd

Scotty

So our old nemesis of conceding in injury time rears it's head again. We'd have been home and dry if it hadn't been for that this season, it must be at least 10 points its cost us.

We've conceded four goals in injury time in the league this season. All were from winning positions and cost us a total of 8 points. The games were Dundee United (twice), Saint Mirren and Saint Johnstone. 

We also conceded goals against Kilmarnock and Saint Johnstone just before going into injury time. Again, these cost us two points as we were winning at the time so we've lost a total of 12 points this season by conceding goals in the 88th minute to FT.

Remember Hearts at home?

Cheers. Got my teams mixed up. Updated the original post.

• Agree 1

Late Goals Conceded/Late Substitutions

August 4th - St Mirren (A) - Andrew Shinnie OFF Liam Polworth ON (87 minutes) - St Mirren equalise 90th

October 27th - St Johnstone (H) - Andrew Shinnie OFF Gavin Morrison ON (89 minutes) - St Johnstone equalise 90th

November 10th - Hearts (H) - Andrew Shinnie OFF Gavin Morrison ON (85 minutes) - Hearts equalise 90th

December 15th - Dundee United (A) - Andrew Shinnie & Billy McKay OFF Polworth & Roberts ON (89 minutes) - DUFC equalise 90th

February 13th - Kilmarnock (H) - Andrew Shinnie OFF Daniel Devine ON (85 minutes) & Aaron Doran OFF Shane Sutherland ON (89 minutes) - Kilmarnock equalise 90th

May 11th - Dundee United (H) - Nick Ross OFF Shane Sutherland ON (87 minutes) - Dundee United win in the 90th.

Going by that, these late substitution don't help matters.  Bar the Hearts 1-1 draw and the 85th minute change in the Kilmarnock game, we've conceded five times this season having made late substitution in three minutes or less.  I wonder if these late changes do more harm than good, unsettling the team going for the final home strait.  On almost every occasion (Sutherland excluded) the change has been putting more inexperienced player on from the one that came off.  Surely the evidence shows that this is unsettling and disrupting the flow of the team and contributing to conceding late goals and thus losing points.

• Agree 1

August 4th - St Mirren (A) - Andrew Shinnie OFF Liam Polworth ON (87 minutes) - St Mirren equalise 90th

October 27th - St Johnstone (H) - Andrew Shinnie OFF Gavin Morrison ON (89 minutes) - St Johnstone equalise 90th

November 10th - Hearts (H) - Andrew Shinnie OFF Gavin Morrison ON (85 minutes) - Hearts equalise 90th

December 15th - Dundee United (A) - Andrew Shinnie & Billy McKay OFF Polworth & Roberts ON (89 minutes) - DUFC equalise 90th

February 13th - Kilmarnock (H) - Andrew Shinnie OFF Daniel Devine ON (85 minutes) & Aaron Doran OFF Shane Sutherland ON (89 minutes) - Kilmarnock equalise 90th

May 11th - Dundee United (H) - Nick Ross OFF Shane Sutherland ON (87 minutes) - Dundee United win in the 90th.

Whats really funny is, it's always shinnie apart from once that comes of then we concede  

When you are holding on to a slender one goal advantage there is a marked precedent in modern day football to make substitutions to play for time rather than any tactical reason. In all the above examples strikers are being taken off for more defensive individuals. Shinnie is usually the scapegoat as McKay is more of a "plodder" and a nuisance value. Apart from yesterday TB has the coaching manual to use as an excuse.

As I was'nt at the game what was the reason for Shane for Nick - and why not Shinnie ? Did Shane then operate in a more defensive role or a more attacking role. Did we look at going fer it or shutting up shop ?

The negativity in this thread is OTT. The players put in a massive shift yesterday. They were out on their feet at the end. We dominated most of the game. On another day we would have won by a comfortable margin. It was a bit of a freak result imo. Sometimes your luck just isn't in.

At least it's still in our own hands and we have one of the most exciting spectacles ever to look forward to. A highland derby for europe.

• Agree 1

I agree but I dunno what I would rather, County to win or lose today? I mean if County win then it's all to play for next week but it will be nervy as anything and if they lose they will try and spoil our party and will just relax, not like us who will probably be panicking. I think Motherwell will win but I'm really mixed emotions on this one, but TB said it, it's our own fault for leaving it to the last day :/

I hope they win today. Worst case scenario is neither Highland team getting into europe.

There must be some gypsy blood in yer veins DBS !!  I want Tinkerville to win today as that puts them under as much pressure as us next week. Merely spoiling the party is summat that they and their fans would relish and would go in to battle with nothing to lose. However I would prefer neither Highland club in Europe if it was'nt going to be us.

I hope they win today. Worst case scenario is neither Highland team getting into europe.

I would literally feel sick if county got into europe at our expense. 

• Agree 4

Me too, but if County don't win today, it's more up to Motherwell than us, because its going to be extremely tough in the sandpit if they o lose. If county win then they'll probs feel the pressure aswell, I bet it'll be a draw then meaning we have only Motherwell to help us, who have nothing to play for whilst StJ do. Hopefully they feel the pressure and Motherwell get something out of it. It's going to be a topsy-turvy day and very nervy but exciting I suppose :/

I've just noticed something, if County win both games, they're in Europe :-( It's out of StJ hands aswell, but it's in both us and County's. If we win were obviously in but if not it could be County's (but they have to win both games) or StJ who have to beat Motherwell and hope for the best. IMO, I think we'll just edge it

Going by that, these late substitution don't help matters.  Bar the Hearts 1-1 draw and the 85th minute change in the Kilmarnock game, we've conceded five times this season having made late substitution in three minutes or less.  I wonder if these late changes do more harm than good, unsettling the team going for the final home strait.  On almost every occasion (Sutherland excluded) the change has been putting more inexperienced player on from the one that came off.  Surely the evidence shows that this is unsettling and disrupting the flow of the team and contributing to conceding late goals and thus losing points.

St. Mirren: Goalkeeping error.

Hearts: 50-50 penalty.

DUFC away: More than dodgy penalty.

3 of the goals have absolutely nothing to do with the substitutions

OTOH, when were Pepper at Hibs and Roberts at Dungwall brought on when they scored last second equalisers?

Personally, if we didn't qualify for Europe, I would rather our friends from just up the road got the final place than St Johnstone.

I hear what you're saying but that would mean them finishing above us & personally speaking I don't want that.

• Agree 4

Ok the result was disappointing but what I really found galling was the scorer of their winning goal

The same lad if I'm not mistaken that wasn't good enough for us yet he's gone on to be one of the best young talents in the country

There's something far wrong when a lad with such talent is only given a short run out at Clach before being told NO

Maybe a review on the way we offer trials or the period of time lengthened needs addressing

Dougal