ICT -V- Dundee Utd

Scotty

Feeling a bit better about yesterday given today's result.

Overall I didn't think we did badly at all and the first half we looked very bight. It is flaming frustrating that we didn't score several more considering the number of chances that we created over the piece. To say nothing for the penalty that was saved. Did seem though like a good number of our crosses never reached their intended target in the box and DU seemed to be winning almost everything in the air within the final third. In all honesty we deserved at least a draw.

I'd hoped for a stress free trip to the sandpit but it is what it is, and as other results went for us this weekend it's just between ourselves and that Perf outfit. So it's all on us, however as County have nothing to play for they could sit back and try to frustrate us, anyway that's next week!

As for staying back for the players lap of honour, well I have to admit that I didn't but it wasn't intended as some slight just didn't realise and in my depression at the end of the game all I could think about was 'sh*t it's starting to rain and I'm bloody cycling home, hmph!'

I'd also like to know the half time draw numbers (or where I can find them) as I was busy making an erse of myself on the pitch at that time.

Ok the result was disappointing but what I really found galling was the scorer of their winning goal

The same lad if I'm not mistaken that wasn't good enough for us yet he's gone on to be one of the best young talents in the country

There's something far wrong when a lad with such talent is only given a short run out at Clach before being told NO

Maybe a review on the way we offer trials or the period of time lengthened needs addressing

Dougal

BUTCHER OUT!!!!!

Ok the result was disappointing but what I really found galling was the scorer of their winning goal

The same lad if I'm not mistaken that wasn't good enough for us yet he's gone on to be one of the best young talents in the country

There's something far wrong when a lad with such talent is only given a short run out at Clach before being told NO

Maybe a review on the way we offer trials or the period of time lengthened needs addressing

Dougal

I dont think you will find that butcher thought he wasn't good enough, it was largely due to injuries and with such a small budget he decided he couldn't take a chance with him if he wasn't going to play for ages. In hindsight we passed up a great opportunity as i know Gary from school but he was released from liverpool down to injuries and so didnt have a great reputation for staying fit. But what is done is done and he will move on to better things and so will Caley Thistle in future

Dougal

BUTCHER OUT!!!!!

Grow up little boy!!!!

Unlike a fair few that could be mentioned on CTO I've never posted wanting Butcher sacked

I'm not blaming Butcher at all for the failure to give Mackay Steven a contract, I'm blaming the short sightedness of the ICT board

Dougal

FFS, are we still discussing GMS not being signed even though its well documented why -  There are probably 100's of players we 'could' have signed, if they had lower wage demands, we had higher budgets, they didn't have injury issues, would relocate to the Highlands - but we have the squad we have and perhaps they should be shown a bit more credit for what they have achieved this year.

Any chance the fans might actually look to the future instead of always dewelling on the past?

• Agree 3

Remember bdu98196, this is Dougal we are talking about. He doesn't live in the here-and-now, only in the past. And on the subject of GMS, he obviously thinks we only trial one player a decade and flipped the coin wrong when it came to the "yes/no" choice.

What a dingbat. But all the more humorous for it.

• Agree 1

Dougal

BUTCHER OUT!!!!!

Grow up little boy!!!!

Unlike a fair few that could be mentioned on CTO I've never posted wanting Butcher sacked

I'm not blaming Butcher at all for the failure to give Mackay Steven a contract, I'm blaming the short sightedness of the ICT board

Dougal

They offered him a contract - he chose to turn it down! How ffs is this the board's fault?

Should they have used duress to force him to sign?

I seem to recall that GMS was on trial with us for 1 week. We wanted to extend the trial by another week because we wanted to assess his fitness some more but he was offered a deal by Airdrie which he accepted. Not sure what else we could have done to be honest.

It would be cruelly ironic if we did miss out on bringing European football to Inverness as a result of that late drama on Saturday. An Inverness boy (Armstrong) assists a Caithness lad (GMS) to score the winner!

He did it out of respect for us having previously played here as a trialist.

He'd have shown a bit more respect for us if he'd missed. :tongueincheek:

Seriously though, I also noted his muted celebration - it was almost an apologetic acknowledgment of scoring.  That doesn't fit with showing respect as a former player if he's only played for a week as a trialist.  It may be that he turned down an offer from us and in truth, it probably was not a particularly attractive offer.  These lads need to make a living - he may have had a better offer from Utd but maybe his heart is in the Highlands and he'd like to see us do well.

Late Goals Conceded/Late Substitutions

August 4th - St Mirren (A) - Andrew Shinnie OFF Liam Polworth ON (87 minutes) - St Mirren equalise 90th

October 27th - St Johnstone (H) - Andrew Shinnie OFF Gavin Morrison ON (89 minutes) - St Johnstone equalise 90th

November 10th - Hearts (H) - Andrew Shinnie OFF Gavin Morrison ON (85 minutes) - Hearts equalise 90th

December 15th - Dundee United (A) - Andrew Shinnie & Billy McKay OFF Polworth & Roberts ON (89 minutes) - DUFC equalise 90th

February 13th - Kilmarnock (H) - Andrew Shinnie OFF Daniel Devine ON (85 minutes) & Aaron Doran OFF Shane Sutherland ON (89 minutes) - Kilmarnock equalise 90th

May 11th - Dundee United (H) - Nick Ross OFF Shane Sutherland ON (87 minutes) - Dundee United win in the 90th.

Going by that, these late substitution don't help matters.  Bar the Hearts 1-1 draw and the 85th minute change in the Kilmarnock game, we've conceded five times this season having made late substitution in three minutes or less.  I wonder if these late changes do more harm than good, unsettling the team going for the final home strait.  On almost every occasion (Sutherland excluded) the change has been putting more inexperienced player on from the one that came off.  Surely the evidence shows that this is unsettling and disrupting the flow of the team and contributing to conceding late goals and thus losing points.

St. Mirren: Goalkeeping error.

Hearts: 50-50 penalty.

DUFC away: More than dodgy penalty.

3 of the goals have absolutely nothing to do with the substitutions

OTOH, when were Pepper at Hibs and Roberts at Dungwall brought on when they scored last second equalisers?

Whether they were dodgy penalties and goalkeeping errors or not, throwing players on that late is going to knock the rhythm of the team.  This will thus allow the other teams more time on the ball and thus more attacks on goal.  It is also the case that it is often more inexperienced players coming on, and in the case of St Mirren and Dundee United, it was Polworth that was brought on, who's a more attack minded, inexperienced player.  That'd open the game up again for the opposition to have one more attack.

Pepper came on in the 79th minute and was the final change that day.  Roberts came on in the 91st minute, with County scoring in the 92nd.  He also ducked out the way of Brittain's free-kick.  That could quite easily have been another game when a late substitution could have had dire consequences.