Targets For Next Season

Kingsmills

Given Terry Butcher's comments immediately after our defeat in Dingwall yesterday, I am assuming we will be concentrating our efforts next season on winning the League Cup which has the 'blessing' of no longer attracting a European place.

As, far as the Scottish Cup is concerned, we will be going all out to reach the semi finals but will not want to risk reaching the final as, depending on league placings and who else is in the final, being runner up could run the risk of the curse of European qualification. We certainly don't want to win the thing.

With regard to the league, this is our bread and butter and we want to to as well as we safely can. Accordingly, our aim will be to finish fifth. It would be nice to try to emulate this season'e record fourth position or even better but, depending on who reach the Scottish Cup final, fourth place can often carry with it the risk of European qualification. What a blessing for us that it didn't this season !

Come think of it, we could do worse than adopt St Mirren's season as a template for success but strive to do a little better, but not too much better, than them in the league.

• Agree 3

In part I agree with your somewhat sarcastic post, I would happily see us maintain SPL status next (and every year) with good cup runs to at least one semi or better a season and if the option was there see us win a cup (either) at the expense of finishing in the top 6.

League is over before it starts every year, we have the lowest or 2nd/3rd lowest budget every year - and will probably do so forever until the folks of Inverness get off their arses and head to Caley stadium (attractive football, scoring goals, cup runs & fighting for europe never did it this year so, we will just stick with the loyal few we have and budget on that), so should always be setting targets that are sensible & realistic targets - of which winning cups is the only silverware we can realistically achieve.

• Agree 1

In part I agree with your somewhat sarcastic post, I would happily see us maintain SPL status next (and every year) with good cup runs to at least one semi or better a season and if the option was there see us win a cup (either) at the expense of finishing in the top 6.

League is over before it starts every year, we have the lowest or 2nd/3rd lowest budget every year - and will probably do so forever until the folks of Inverness get off their arses and head to Caley stadium (attractive football, scoring goals, cup runs & fighting for europe never did it this year so, we will just stick with the loyal few we have and budget on that), so should always be setting targets that are sensible & realistic targets - of which winning cups is the only silverware we can realistically achieve.

I am sorry that you deem my post only somewhat sarcastic. I clearly didn't put enough thought or effort into it. On balance, however, my intent was to be facetious rather than sarcastic. Wholly facetious as opposed to somewhat so.

Edited by Kingsmills