Smoke Cannisters

tm4tj

How dangerous exactly are smoke bombs? I was always under the impression that they aren't actually that dangerous, unlike flares which are.

I suppose from a hamster's perspective, I'd be a bit miffed if one landed in my cage.

Edited by TheMantis

How dangerous exactly are smoke bombs?  I was always under the impression that they aren't actually that dangerous, unlike flares which are.

The problem, as I understand it, is that whilst there's perfectly "safe" smoke bombs which are cool burning and don't emit flames or sparks, there's also lots of more dodgy products out there which do.  You then have military grade stuff which are hot burning and a real fire/burn hazard and these are still available from some surplus stores.  The issue for police/authorities is that if they don't have a blanket ban on all of them then you run the risk of someone inadvertently using something dangerous and/or needing a process for checking what is being allowed in.

Aside from the fire/burn issue, none of these things are designed for use in a confined location....and whilst a football ground may not be seen as that, it doesn't offer people the ability to easily and quickly move away from the smoke if they suffer any respiratory problems.  Again, most of them are "safe" insofar as they don't emit anything noxious, but not all of them are.

Also, whilst looking into the subject earlier this season, I took a look at stadium regulations for a variety of clubs across Europe and every one I looked at listed Smoke Bombs etc as being a prohibited item.  Using Google you can turn up just as many instances of fans being arrested, imprisoned and banned from matches/stadiums abroad as you see for the UK.

Just having another Google search of the subject and it looks like dozens of cases have gone through the courts in the past 18 months....so it would seem there's a huge clampdown on their use.

Personally, as much as I quite like seeing it, it's not worth the risk....either in terms of causing harm to yourself and others, or for the consequences of being caught.

• Agree 2

That's a great answer Don, covers every aspect and well presented. I agree, they are pretty to look at but there are more issues than just being caught, so worth thinking long and hard about the consequences.

Stick to pom poms.