Pre-Season & Charlton away (merged)

caleydawson

Did anyone hear that Clach are playing Celtic in a pre season friendly?! :O

Yeh they play Celtic u21, not long after they play us so ive been told.

A clach supporting friend told me the date we are playing them is the 17th of July.We're playing them? Didn't know that but that's fine!Oh btw I subscribed to you on YouTube ;DHahah just got told tht it's Clach were playing then they play Celtic u21s sorry there haha Hahaha slow down buddy, you look like your talking to yourself. Much more of that and you'll be just like the rest of us crazies on here.

• Agree 1

If we are not planning on going far for pre season then I suggest we have pre season games against Nairn, Brora, Cove and Formartine as these are decent sides that would more than hold their own in the SFL3. I would like to see us be a bit more ambitious in the sides we play. We are normally slow starters.

I can't see us wandering too far from home for the bulk of pre-season, but if we could get a couple of games just a bit further afield then it would be good in terms of adding a little variety.

Fail to understand how games against the likes of Nairn and Clach prepare you for a new season!

It didn't seem to do much harm this season did it?

Actually we had no wins in our first 7. Was this to do with the part time opposition? Who knows. Playing a variety of teams should be the priority though, a couple hl games, a couple sfl games against challenging first division sides and a big home game would suit me nicely.

Fail to understand how games against the likes of Nairn and Clach prepare you for a new season!

It didn't seem to do much harm this season did it?

Yes it did.  5 draws and 2 defeats in the first 7 games is the sort of form that makes challenging for a European spot very challenging indeed.  It is remarkable we did as well as we did this year after that start but we shouldn't think we will go on a superb run like that in the coming season.  We need a much more solid start if we are going to be competitive next season.

You can get some understanding of new team mates against lesser opposition but to my mind it is important to get 2 or 3 tough matches against quality opposition to get into the right mindset of what is expected and to test out the new found relationships under a bit more pressure.   

It may not be so problematic this pre season as the majority of our squad know each other and we have again learned from the mistakes of previous seasons by getting players signed up early doors and we will have the best turn out ever at the start of the training sessions. If we had togetherness before then this can only get better. Playing the likes of Brora is just like a training match and allows us to have a look at newbies and to try and fit them in to the system - or hopefully systems. Those types of games are perfect at the start of the training schedule but we need two or three games against better opposition prior to the SPL as that puts us up the gears and hopefully in 4th gear and able to shift up. As I have alluded to before the concept of a trip away is not only a jolly fer the fans but also a bonding session - for both players,management and fans - anyone who went to Fleetwood will know what I mean.

Would reply to that guy but seems others already have with the point i was going to make, plus i don't know how to quote, reply or do any of that carry on, But a slow start may be down to playing teams like this. Why not play division 1 or 2 sides?

Going to the likes of Bristol and Aldershot was great fun for the fans. I‘d love another tour somewhere. However it is very pricey for the club and with funds so limited, unfortunately it may not happen again this season. As IHE alluded to, the team bonding aspect of a trip is not as important this year as most of them already know each other.

I agree with King Beastie. It‘s impossible to tell if we would have had a better start if we had tougher pre season competition. However we drew our first three games and matched Midden, Killie and Hearts so weren‘t exactly under prepared.

Edited by CapitalCaley

Confirmed fixtures (all away) - 

July 6th - Keith (3pm)

July 9th - Forres Mechanics

July 13th - Elgin City (3pm)

July 16th - Brora Rangers

July 17th - Clachnacuddin (7pm)

July 23rd - Arbroath

July 24th - Wick Academy 

Kick-off at 7.30 unless stated.

Apparently, Butcher's also looking to go down to England to play some opposition down there but nothing is yet confirmed.

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 2

Would people expect ict to come to england on the 20th or 27th assuming they do at all? Thanks, callum

I hope so, those dates would be perfect.  :-)