Football Leagues

I'd have Spain's La Liga as the best league due to the strength in depth. The worst would have to be San Marino's League! Although, with Gibraltar having recently been accepted into UEFA, they might prove to be worse at football, having a slightly smaller population than even San Marino to draw on. Their clubs will also compete in the European club competitions in time!

I see the German Bundesliga ahead. Bayern Munich's domination might say otherwise, but there was a three horse race for the Champions League qualifying spot on the last match day and even a four horse race for the Europa League. There's also much more financial fair play in the Bundesliga and the debt total is about 10% of the total in La Liga.

The worst league in relation to the population number must be the Austrian. 8 million people and a standard even below the SPL. Champions Salzburg were eliminated from the CL qualifiers by the champions of Luxemburg!!

Competition is what I look for when deciding which league is the best. La Liga is weak in that respect. the Championship is more competitive and generally a better watch than La Liga. In Spain, only two clubs have any chance of winning the league. And at the moment, one of those two is struggling to keep up with the other. Even League One; Yeovil were one of the nailed-on guaranteed favourites for relegation at the start of the season and now they find themselves one promotion away from playing at Old Trafford and Stamford Bridge. The excitement and unpredictability is what I enjoy most, rather than the snorefest that is Spanish football. German football is starting to emerge as the top game and rightly so, they've done things properly by investing in youth and grassroots and bringing through youngsters good enough to represent their country. The Premier League has a long way to go to match the German model. Clubs are so desperate for instant success that they bankroll multi-million superstar foreign transfers rather than putting that money into the youth academy side of the club and building for sustained success in the future. Look what has happened to Portsmouth just along the coast from me. Bought an FA Cup triumph and a season in Europe playing the likes of AC Milan and now just a few years on they find themselves in League Two.

As for the SPL, it's still a one-horse race without Rangers but it has allowed other clubs such as ourselves, Motherwell, St Johnstone etc to flourish and challenge at the top end of the table. Rangers will get back into the SPL and the league will be better off for it but I don't think they will find it easy to finish in the top two by the time they get back.