billy mackay

ferben1994

Just looking at this list of Championship transfers in the summer and there are not many £1M+ transfers there: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/championship/10120670/Championship-Summer-Transfers-2013.html

The majority of players moving for £1M+ have played in the Prem and are more experienced than Mackay.

January can become a bit of a seller's market though and if a club desperately wants a striker then maybe we could see something approaching £1M.

I'm thinking it is more likely we get offers around the £600-800k range and I would like to think we could refuse that. To be 2nd in the league, favourites to win one cup and in with a good chance of at least a semi-final in the other offers so much potential reward that a club who actually turned a profit, with pretty much no transfer fees in, should not be forced into selling.

• Agree 1

Yeah you would have to weigh up his potential goals and contribution to the team versus potential prize money we could miss out on. He has banged the goals in up until now and with the team around him, theres no way they will dry up before the end of the season so it will all come around again im sure. In saying that, i wouldnt be totally upset if we get the money we want for him, how often do we receive such fees? Its painful enough watching our top players going for nout every time their contract expires. Personally hope we dont get one of those offers though as this year and next is clearly our best chance winning anything and getting into europe we will probably have for years and years, lets just see what happens this season with this team if we can keep it together.

Edited by LundavraJag

I'd love to know which cup we're favourites to win, hobopete!

Aberdeen are favourites for League Cup with most bookies. Just quoting Hills prices below, but most are similar

League Cup: Aberdeen 5/4, ICT 2/1, St Johnstone 4/1, Hearts 6/1

Scottish Cup: Celtic 4/6, Aberdeen/DUFC 8/1, Rangers 9/1, ICT/St Johnstone 12/1

League: We are offered alongside Aberdeen at 2/1 in the "without Celtic" betting or 66/1 in the betting including Celtic. (Celtic are 1/500). Aberdeen and DUFC are 80/1 in the outright betting.

League: Billy Mckay favourite to finish top scorer in the Premiership at 3/1. Stokes at 5/1, May at 6/1

League: Hearts 1/7 favourites for the drop, Killie at 10/1, County at 12/1 .... Hibs at 40/1, ICT not quoted.

One final set of odds (from Paddy Power): Billy Mckay 5th favourite to win PFA player of the year: @14/1 .... behind Brown (3/1), Van Dijk (4/1), Samaras (11/2) and Commons (7/1)

I'd love to know which cup we're favourites to win, hobopete!

Whilst we may not be technically favourite with the bookies (very close though!), I would imagine most neutral observers of Scottish football would have us, at least, as equal favourites for the League Cup. Got to remember that odds move with the money going on a team and I don't imagine the Scottish league cup outright winner is a particularly big market.

Just looking at this list of Championship transfers in the summer and there are not many £1M+ transfers there: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/championship/10120670/Championship-Summer-Transfers-2013.html

Not many but a few teams have cashed in a lot and would be willing to pay for McKay, Birmingham haven't really got one goal scorer and the few goals they have scored have come across the team, if McKay went for 1 million and linked up with Shinnie, Shinnie would get more game time and I reckon they'd have a bargain

The majority of players moving for £1M+ have played in the Prem and are more experienced than Mackay.

January can become a bit of a seller's market though and if a club desperately wants a striker then maybe we could see something approaching £1M.

I'm thinking it is more likely we get offers around the £600-800k range and I would like to think we could refuse that. To be 2nd in the league, favourites to win one cup and in with a good chance of at least a semi-final in the other offers so much potential reward that a club who actually turned a profit, with pretty much no transfer fees in, should not be forced into selling.

Club could refuse offers up to £1M, providing the player and/or his agent aren't hooked on the move. If Billy ultimately wants to move to an interested party, I guess the asking price drops. The hope would be for a bidding war.....or better still, he wants to stay to make history at ICT!

I'd probably accept 500k for Mckay if he wanted to move on, its a brilliant turnover in money afterall and i wouldn't want to stand in his way of improving his career.  We have always found a better striker out there.  Stewart > Wyness > Ritchie > Hislop > Bingham > Dargo > Rooney > Mckay.  All strikers that done an excellent job for us at crucial times and somewhat irreplaceable but we managed it. 

I'd probably accept 500k for Mckay if he wanted to move on, its a brilliant turnover in money afterall and i wouldn't want to stand in his way of improving his career.  We have always found a better striker out there.  Stewart > Wyness > Ritchie > Hislop > Bingham > Dargo > Rooney > Mckay.  All strikers that done an excellent job for us at crucial times and somewhat irreplaceable but we managed it.

Remember it about £75, 000 an SPL place so I would be gutted if we let him go for that!

Remember it about £75, 000 an SPL place so I would be gutted if we let him go for that!

Unless it was changed in the re-organisation, and it is possible it was, the (approximate) £75K figure is for each position from 12th to 4th ......

Everyone gets (got?) 4% of the sponsorship pot guaranteed (48%). The other 52% is/was carved up with 0.5% of the remainder going to the team at the bottom, and each place increasing by 0.5% until you get to 4th (who get 4.5%). Each increment of 0.5% is (or was) worth about £75K.

From 4th to 3rd was a 1% difference (4.5% -> 5.5%) so would have been worth about £150K. However 3rd -> 2nd was a huge jump from 5.5% to 11% which would have been more than £400K ... it was setup so that each half of the OF got the lions share whether they finished 1st or 2nd. (the original 4% guaranteed figure + 13% to winners, 11% to runners up)

Unless it was changed in the re-organisation, and it is possible it was, the (approximate) £75K figure is for each position from 12th to 4th ......

Everyone gets (got?) 4% of the sponsorship pot guaranteed (48%). The other 52% is/was carved up with 0.5% of the remainder going to the team at the bottom, and each place increasing by 0.5% until you get to 4th (who get 4.5%). Each increment of 0.5% is (or was) worth about £75K.

From 4th to 3rd was a 1% difference (4.5% -> 5.5%) so would have been worth about £150K. However 3rd -> 2nd was a huge jump from 5.5% to 11% which would have been more than £400K ... it was setup so that each half of the OF got the lions share whether they finished 1st or 2nd. (the original 4% guaranteed figure + 13% to winners, 11% to runners up)

Thanks Scotty. Didn't know it was that much. Can't see us letting him go on the cheap then!

it was setup so that each half of the OF got the lions share whether they finished 1st or 2nd. (the original 4% guaranteed figure + 13% to winners, 11% to runners up)

I remember hearing on Sportsound last year that a lot of that 2nd place cash was quietly dispersed down the league as soon as Rangers were punted out.

On the point about how much we would accept for McKay, you often hear clubs talking about how they wouldn't stand in the way of a player who wanted to leave and I assume a club of our size has to play it that way. One of the most attractive things about ICT for potential signings must be our history of providing a stepping stone to bigger clubs.

Edited by Caley Stan

With a cup semi already garunteed, doing well in the league and another winnable cup game to get to a QF there is plenty for Billy to stay. Our captain has shown to be a leader and committed to another 3 years, Billy still has 18 months of his contract to run IIRC, I would expect Foran and the rest of the boys to persuade him (if needed) that if he stays beyond Jan he could help create history and still have the same if not better moves elsewhere in the summer - same goes for several players, they could leave for more money in the Championship in England but may never be 90 mins away from a national final again.

Surely you can't be suggesting that Hislop was a better striker than Wyness?!!

• Agree 2

There was a year between Rooney and McKay (before he was good) where we just had Tade

Surely you can't be suggesting that Hislop was a better striker than Wyness?!!

Of course not but leading upto our first division winning season Hislop was a great striker for us and more than capable of replacing Wyness.

The new SPFL format for payments is set below for top fourteen teams. The teams below this get from 1.8% for fifteenth down to 0.18% for 42nd. These percentages are the remainder of SPFL revenues after running expenses, parachute payments etc. So for every £1m of net income 1st place gets £134,000, 2nd place £96,000, 3rd place £82,000 and so on right down to £1800 for 42nd place. All this can be found in Articles of Association here http://spfl.co.uk/docs/067_324__articlesofthespfllimited_1375800575.pdf Difficult to work out the revenues of SPFL but I'd guess at around £20 m a year.

League Position

Percentage Share

13.40%

9.60%

8.25%

7.25%

6.75%

6.25%

5.75%

5.50%

5.25%

5.00%

4.75%

4.50%

2.25%

1.90%

I threw the percentages into Excel and if we are saying it was 75K per place a season or two ago that suggests the prize fund after expenses and costs was about 15m not 20m .... but again, that may have changed. Under the old system with 100% going to the SPL teams, it was £75K difference per place from 12th to 4th, £150K from 4th to 3rd, £825K from 3rd to 2nd and £300K from 2nd to 1st. 

The new system diverts 17.75% to the other 32 teams (about £2.6m based on a £15m prize pot) but the differentials are still quite large in the Premiership: The difference has dropped from 75K to £37.5K for teams finishing in the bottom 6. for 6th-5th-4th it is still £75K per spot. For 4th->3rd it is £150K, 3rd->2nd now £202K and 2nd->1st £570K

There is still a huge difference between 1st and the rest (as opposed to 1st/2nd and the rest under the old model) but other than that the overall distribution seems reasonably fair, especially to clubs in lower leagues. spreadsheet also attached so anyone who is interested can throw some numbers in and see how it calculates with differing amounts. 

post-2-0-37292300-1386085546_thumb.png

prize-fund.xlsx

The one thing not quite right with your figures Scotty is that you've omitted to account for monies earned by old SFL. With the special Rangers TV deal and the Barrs deal that must add a bit more to the overall pot

didnt add it as I had no idea of the figures ...... if someone cares to find out, then it could be added to the sheet.