Buying a place in the team

Yngwie

What do you make of Macclesfield's fundraising idea of selling a place in the team for £20,000?  Whoever comes up with the dosh gets 10 minutes on the pitch in a competitive first team match. Must be male and aged 18-35.

Presumably you'd have to be on the bench a few times and the manager is only going to put you on when the outcome of the game is pretty much decided? I certainly wouldn't want to be brought on by my team only to cost them the game.

It's a lot of money to pay for a gimmick, but for the lucky fan its kinda nice to think that your name will forever be in the record books (and Soccerbase!) as having played for the club.

If any 18-35 year old out there, who is not already a professional footballer, has £20k to spend on ten minutes of personal entertainment then they probably know nothing about the game as they're too busy housebreaking or drug pushing.

which in Macclesfield means they probably work for Astrazeneca.

Did former Wimbledon champion, Goran Ivanisevic, not get 5 minutes playing for his beloved team, Hajduk Split?

I believe Usain Bolt was told by Fergie at Man Utd that he could get a cameo role at some point in a testimonial or friendly. Bolt's got a very high opinion of himself as he also claims he could have been a first class cricketer!

Macclesfield Town withdraw offer of first-team appearance for cash

Macclesfield Town have withdrawn their offer of a chance to play for the club in return for payment.

A £20,000 donation could have led to a successful applicant making a 10-minute appearance in the league or cup.

However the club ended the scheme and apologised for an "error of judgement".

It added: "We now recognise that it creates a possibility of altering the outcome of a competitive fixture and clearly crosses an important line with respect to the integrity of the game."

Did former Wimbledon champion, Goran Ivanisevic, not get 5 minutes playing for his beloved team, Hajduk Split?

I believe Usain Bolt was told by Fergie at Man Utd that he could get a cameo role at some point in a testimonial or friendly. Bolt's got a very high opinion of himself as he also claims he could have been a first class cricketer!

Well there is a clip of him bowling Chris Gayle, and also hitting him for six I think.  Given his size, I can easily see him as a Joel Garner type bowler.