stories relating to archived posts

highlandrover

RECORD SHOPS

I worked in The Other Record Shop (TORS) at the start of 1980 .It was like being in a sitcom.There was Billy Peg, Clayton the Punk, Spock with his embroidered jeans, the two Susans who managed the shop.I got the job on the strength of my recent LP playlist and because I'd read Playpower by Richard Neville (hippie manifesto).IOne of my jobs was to take a leather satchel full of the previous days takings to the bank and on the way back pick up coffees from The Coffee Pot for the 'two Susans'.One day the satchel was missing.I'd left it somewhere and couldn't remember whether I'd lost it before or after banking the cash.My short term memory was impaired due to indulging in too much Afghani black! .The bag turned up at The Coffee Pot and I had banked the takings but the game was up.I was fired on my 20th birthday.

Heck! I've lots of tales that relate to some of these archived posts.More later if anyone is interested.

RECORD SHOPS

I worked in The Other Record Shop (TORS) at the start of 1980 .It was like being in a sitcom.There was Billy Peg, Clayton the Punk, Spock with his embroidered jeans, the two Susans who managed the shop.I got the job on the strength of my recent LP playlist and because I'd read Playpower by Richard Neville (hippie manifesto).IOne of my jobs was to take a leather satchel full of the previous days takings to the bank and on the way back pick up coffees from The Coffee Pot for the 'two Susans'.One day the satchel was missing.I'd left it somewhere and couldn't remember whether I'd lost it before or after banking the cash.My short term memory was impaired due to indulging in too much Afghani black! .The bag turned up at The Coffee Pot and I had banked the takings but the game was up.I was fired on my 20th birthday.

Heck! I've lots of tales that relate to some of these archived posts.More later if anyone is interested.

You should wright a book, it might outsell CB's!

• 4 weeks later...

John Menzies didnt 'get' the deal whereby all record shops released singles on the same release date.The Pistols single cover for 'Holidays in the sun' was taken from a belgian tourist brochure without permission so had to be withdrawn.I read this in the NME and had noticed Menzies were already selling it with the banned cover.I phoned my brother and , realising this single could end up being worth a few bob, between us we bought the lot.Sure enough with only 4,500 released our 69p per single investment quickly was being snapped up for £2.50 .My brother was experiencing some cash flow problems so sold all his.I figured I'd make much more by holding onto mine for a bit longer.A couple of years on I'd developed into a hippy complete with long hair down my back, love beads, psychedelic t shirts , the 'full biffter'.I was listening to Jefferson Airplane, The Greatful Dead, Country Joe Macdonald and the fish etc (this was 1980 so I was deeply unfashionable and stood out like a sore thumb next to the post punk new romantics).I'd recently been fired from T.O.R.S so was short of cash so I advertised my 'Holiday in the sun' singles in NME.Nobody phoned, there were no takers.Months later I had just stumbled into my folks about 3am and, to my horror, the phone rang.I picked it up and the caller launched into a lengthy tirade against pathetic punks and their crap bands.My folks were awake and listening in wondering what one of my hippy cronies were thinking about calling in the middle of the night so I couldn't respond to the abuse I was getting and defend myself and point out that infact I was one of the only hippies north of the great glen and all I was guilty of was a bit of opportunistic capitalism (man !) I never did manage to sell the singles apart from the odd copy at the record fairs.I've still one or two warped copies in my attic.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Was 'The Hayloft' not the best per club bar in the world?

Why was it allowed to close? It should have been a listed building?

The building is still there, including the doors at each end. I am fairly sure it is currently the offices of Remax estate agents but I believe they are to relocate fairly soon.

Happy days at the Hayloft! I seem to remember it about as far back as maybe 72 or 73 but it was certainly in its heyday in the mid 70s. In terms of beer prices I can maybe remember as low as about 30p for lager but some of it could be 70s p!sh like Skol. (By the way, the cheapest lager I can remember is also on Eastgate - 2/4d in the Lochgorm in 1970!)

The Hayloft had a charisma all of its own and back in the day was a "must", especially on a Saturday night. Mind you it used to take ages to get served to the extent that the person whose round it was next often had to go up to the bar just as the previous round came back to the table (if you could get one!)

I really don't know why the Hayloft declined but, in Inverness certainly, pubs tend to be like that - they have their day and then the fashion moves on somewhere else. On the other hand Foxes and The Den seem to be exhibiting a longevity all of their own at the moment!