raith rovers

InvernessCT19

Not the best performance, but fair play to raith they played good footy and had some pace in their midfield / forward areas. Bad pass from foran led to their first. He had a poor first half. Their 2nd well it was scored! I thought nick Ross was through and shot for our first (mighta been doran) it came of post and hit a defender to go in. We got the equalizer through polworth. On as a sub and prob overall undeserved IMO. Vincent looks like he could be a great find, certainly vocal getting people in positions. Greenhalgh was ok but no huge runs that came to much. Williams on a sub looked very bright. All in all a good day out mainly because of the sun! Need to improve a lot but not worried, it was another 90mins under the belt. One thing is I think we may need more strength upfront. Also one of their wingers quite often ran shinnie a bit ragged for pace.

I accept the above may not be wholly accurate due to enjoying lounging in the blistering sunshine!!

Perhaps the draw flatters us a bit though there were spells where we dominated the game.  Two goals conceded as a result of giving up possession cheaply.  Foran was guilty with the first and I think it was  Meekings with the second.  Nick Ross should have pulled one back when one on one with the keeper but inexplicably chose a square pass to McKay who had a defender with him and the chance was lost.  Our first goal saw a Ross shot come back off the post hit a defender then trickle over the line.

Greenhalgh was hooked at half time for Polworth who eventually scored a screamer from outside the box to equalise.  WIlliams came on about the hour mark and was the pick of the new boys creating some real danger on the left.

Finally, this was the first game where I saw a drinks break.  About 10-15 minutes from time the game was stopped and water bottles passed round all the players on a hot and sunny afternoon.

First visit to Starks Park (and Kirkcaldy for that matter) and overall quite an enjoyable day out. The game itself we just didn't get out of the blocks quick enough, sloppy passing and the link between midfield and attack was virtually non-existent. Both goals conceded were well taken but both could have been avoided if it weren't for errors on the edge of our box. Lucky goal back before the break before we managed to actually start playing a bit of football in the second period with Polworth scoring a cracker to give us in my opinion a deserved equaliser. 

Nothing to be overly concerned about considering Raith didn't completely dominate the game and even when they were in possession they very rarely looked like scoring, especially after half time. Polworth the stand out player of the game, came on and provided us with exactly what we needed, someone to get the ball forward quickly (and actually find a man with a pass). Notable performances from Williams who provided some pace and trickery down the left towards the end, Josh Meekings who I believe will be fantastic this season and also G.Shinnie who started slowly but grew as the game went on and joined in with the attacks late on to good effect.

Three more games and two weeks before the start of the season and I can guarantee the boys will be a lot fitter and more importantly that match sharpness will have improved. Still unsure as to what our starting 11 will be this season but our strength in depth might be crucial for us this year.

Guest Mahonio

How did Dean Brill do in goal, was he at fault at their 2 goals?

By the way,Wick beat County 2-1 today lol so don't underestimate Academy on Wed guys, i'm sure Tel won't, especially if he sees their result from this afternoon.

My first visit to Starks Park also, thoroughly enjoyed with the fellow ICT fans who made the journey down.

As was said we started the game slower than a tortoise on weed. Both Raith goals was a result of wastefulness from our possession. Well taken goals from a well drilled side who contained SPL names in Joe Cardle and Calum Elliot, both of whom gave accomplished performances. Couple of very shrewd investments. We should have got back into it with Ross's chance. He should have taken it himself but squared it to Billy who lost it with a defender closing him down. The own goal was flukey but we deserved to be back into the game and were better in the 2nd half which was well rapped up with a 25 yard pile driver from Polworth. On reflection a draw was fair but i will be honest we never really looked like winning.

Early days for our new investments but at a first glimpse against decent opposition it was definitely Williams that stood out. He came on 2nd half and gave an impressive performance, beat his man on several occasions and got some good crosses in, he also teed up Foran who wasted a chance. Brill had little to do apart from picking it out of his net, he had no chance with either goals but showed good handling when tested, was also very vocal and did his best to get play going again. Vincent was solid if unspectacular. Definitely not suited to playing further forward. Seemed more comfortable in holding mid, think it was him who teed up Ross for his chance. Greenhalgh im sorry to say struggled to make an impact. Was never really in the game and when he was on the ball he either got brushed off too easily or gave it away. He isnt going to get as much time as he would in non league, needs to be quicker but its early days. 

Overall it was a decent display. They recovered well and in the end got what they deserve. I think the more these boys play together the better they will get. Still got to see Allen and Watkins in action too. Between Christie, Cooper and Polworth its nice to see youngsters getting integrated into the first team. Hope they get a chance in the league too. Plenty to look forward to.

• Agree 1

A Raith side that were trounced 0-5 by Hearts in midweek. Not the confidence booster we would have been looking for.

They will need to be a lot sharper next weekend.