St Johnstone

lukemackay

It is difficult to conclude what tonight's results say about the state of Scottish football.  Both Rosenborg and Malmo are currently lying 2nd in their national leagues half way through the season and both have only had 2 defeats.  They are therefore both pretty decent opposition.  It was a great win for the Saints over two legs but there is no way Hibs should have lost by that kind of margin.  Perhaps the lesson here is that European places should be determined by league position only.

• Agree 1

The Hibs result is a huge embarrassment for Scottish football. It should be remembered that Malmo took until half-time in the 2nd leg to open the scoring in the previous round...against Drogheda United who are in a relegation battle in the League of Ireland!

St. Johnstone's result was one step forward but Hibs' effort takes us three steps back! I just heard a UK national news bulletin where the Hibs result was mentioned but not the Saints one. You could even hear the newscaster smirking as it was almost like a jokey "and finally....", item.

Apparently it's the worst (home) result in Scottish football history. A very inauspicious start to day one of the brave new era of SPFL Premiership football!

• Agree 1

The Hibs result is a huge embarrassment for Scottish football. It should be remembered that Malmo took until half-time in the 2nd leg to open the scoring in the previous round...against Drogheda United who are in a relegation battle in the League of Ireland!

St. Johnstone's result was one step forward but Hibs' effort takes us three steps back! I just heard a UK national news bulletin where the Hibs result was mentioned but not the Saints one. You could even hear the newscaster smirking as it was almost like a jokey "and finally....", item.

Apparently it's the worst (home) result in Scottish football history. A very inauspicious start to day one of the brave new era of SPFL Premiership football!

worst european defeat in scottish football. over taking the team formerly know as rangers 12-4 aggregate loss to eintracht frankfurt in 1960.

we all knew hibs were pish anyway, so why are we so shocked? st johnstone beating rosenborg is more of a shock than hibs getting pumped. that happens weekly in the spl.

sorry! spfl!

Edited by lukemackay

It is difficult to conclude what tonight's results say about the state of Scottish football.  Both Rosenborg and Malmo are currently lying 2nd in their national leagues half way through the season and both have only had 2 defeats.  They are therefore both pretty decent opposition.  It was a great win for the Saints over two legs but there is no way Hibs should have lost by that kind of margin.  Perhaps the lesson here is that European places should be determined by league position only.

That is really why it is all the more embarrassing - on paper the away teams should be on a par with fitness, confidence etc. and Hibs did also appear to prepare well for this game. I wonder how many of the 16,000 left at half time?

I bet Lawrie Reilly was squirming in heaven.

For all those who were concerned that our possible European qualification would lead to humiliation and financial difficulty interesting to note that the team that took that place instead took a significant scalp and turned a tidy profit into the bargain.

Well done the Saints, impressive job making it through its just a shame its so difficult to get all the way to the group stages. Not only do they have to go and beat Minsk, they have another round after that to get through. I cant get my head round a home score of 0-7 though, in this day and age a score like that for full time teams shouldnt be happening except maybe if they were playing a top level euro side. Was it the lack of games and summer break compared to Malmo's mid season prep? Or just proper rank football? St Johnstones seemed to cope ok! I'd feel sick watching if i was a Hibs fan.

Edited by LundavraJag

It's a shame for the Saints fans that they won't be able to travel for the next round.

The only way to get a visa for Belarus with such short notice is to travel, in person, to London and pay £300 for one.  St J and Rosenborg both had to buy visas for all their team and entourage as soon as it became possible that the winners would be going to Belarus.

And apparently ther game itself it being played 4 hours away from Minsk because their stadium is being done up. On the plus side, the complete lack of atmosphere will be something the Saints players are well used to.

If this doesn't convince Richard Brittain he was right to leave County for Saints, I don't know what will!

A mate who went out to the game in Norway told me that loads of the travelling Saints fans sent postcards to him!

• Agree 1

Meh.  They've been grinding out low scoring results, whereas we would have been setting Europe alight with our free-scoring total football.

Still, their success boosts the coefficient which hopefully helps us next season.

Well done St Johnstone, really hope they now finish them off at home

Think I'm right in saying there is another round to win before they get to the group stages but its a remarkable achievement already no matter what happens

Fair chance they will get a big name in the next round but then it's likely to be a real money spinner

Could have been us but who knows what next year will bring, when hopefully we will be more geared up for Europe and have a run ourselves

Dougal

Very pleasing to see a Scottish provincial team very similar to ourselves in profile bucking the trend and performing so well against quality European opposition.

By contrast, Motherwell face an uphill battle and Swansea's stroll to victory over Malmo makes their rout of Hibs seem all the more humiliating.

Very pleasing to see a Scottish provincial team very similar to ourselves in profile bucking the trend and performing so well against quality European opposition.

By contrast, Motherwell face an uphill battle and Swansea's stroll to victory over Malmo makes their rout of Hibs seem all the more humiliating.

I think   the days of Swansea being a poor side are well gone.  I feel they are a good bet on their day to beat  most teams in Europe on their own ground,

The Welsh outfit are I consider a top  outfit these days.