Travel - Future Away Games

A total waste of money that does nothing to address the real reasons for accidents and deaths on A9. Analysing some of the deaths over the last few years, especially south of Perth, the design of junctions plays a big part. there are a number of crossroads between perth and Dunblane where people have not appreciated the speed of main road traffic when crossing. i personally have witnessed people cross one carraigeway and, seeing vehicles on the other carriageway in the correct (inner) lane, have driven out into the overtaking lane. One of the most recent accidents, resulting in death, was caused by a northbound vehicle managing to find its was onto the southbound carriageway on the Dalnaspidall dual carriageway. Another recent death came about after two trucks collided head on. Niether was reported as having been breaking any speed limits. People, usually but not always foriegn tourists, have also been known to forget they are back on a single carraigeway section after having driven along a dual section.

I regularly drive this road in car and on bike and I find the majority of drivers keep within the speed limits. What I do find frustrating though is the slow moving trucks that ply the road. Drivers of which tend to ignore the queues forming behind them. These cause people to take stupid chances that have been known to result in accidents.

Average speed camera's.....What will they achieve. They'll make people aware of their speed between two groups of camera. Outwith the camera area people will speed up just as they do with fixed cameras. Re-engineering the road and, especially, the junctions is the only way to reduce death on this road.

• Agree 3