Charlton Smileymometer (without smileys !)

Did'nt we have a lovely day, the day we went to Charlton, Riley and me, Zog,GJ and Adie - well that was as good an away day as I have enjoyed in feckin yonks. RESPECT to Red Card fer blogging the four hospitality spots. We saw more of Colin Powell than anyone else in the ground and the only negative was yon Jim Davidson constantly trying to sit with us and constantly asking fer photties and autographs. And feck me is Theo Foley still a hard man in his feckin seventies ?!!

Never did find the Pickwick but found Donview and a few crew members in the Rose of Denmark although we missed the Antigallican becos of the EDL presence and simply flashed the kilts as we went past. Still we had to be sober (ish) and uphold the reputation of the club by hobnobbing in the Testimonial Suite. And the only thing that we can say about our accommodation and the environs in Woolwich Arsenal is feckin WOW. Saw more prossies in one Woolwich pub than we suspected in the whole of Soho. I hope somebody on YouTube has posted the clip off Red Card trying to feed the beggars apparently lactose tolerant dog with a cheeseburger and our spat with the Ascot returning Finnish females and their fascination hats !!

Anyway to the game. That was as fine a performance in a friendly as I have ever witnessed from an Inverness team. We simply bossed the first half and Draper could have had a brace. We never really looked like conceding and the back four have really got it together. We played football throughout and a real passing game, although it was sideways, backwards and possession orientated at times. The second half was more even but again we always looked the more probable to nick it - and we did - although I thought that Dorans cross was out of play but it was a great finish from Meekings who had started the move with an interception in his own half.

The away support was as vociferous as ever and it appeared that our Tremarco song was more welcomed than our Richie Foran ditty. And was it not great to see the 30 year plus/plus choir pumping out the Ultras signature tune without the feckin effort of jumping up and down. I would love to know what Terry said to the players at the end of the game as he appeared livid - or perhaps it was becos we had finished off the red wine in hospitality. But Terry did give Colin Powell an exclusive bottle of Glenfiddich.

As fer the tactics it was mainly a 4-2-3-1 formation switching although we ended up with Polworth and McKay up front in a traditional 4-4-2 at the close.

The following are marks out of five and I have been harsh - as it was my first view and I would really welcome any critical or accepting feedback.

BRILL - 3 - Disapointed that he wasn't tested more than he was. To me he looks a tad cumbersome and that worries me as Ryan is still struggling. They were saying in hospitality that TB was interested in a goalkeeper loan from Charlton. Brill did not wrong but the jury is still out.

RAVEN - 4 - Solid as ever and was never slow at coming forward.

SHINNIE - 4 -There is only one Shinnie now and he wore the captain armband in a distinguished manner - he had a hard time from the pacy winger - called Chalky3 by Jim Davidson - but he looked like he had gained from the experience of howing to play such wingers.

WARREN - 5 - as per Raven in solidity and he has really gelled with Meekings. Reminds me more and more of Colin Hendry.

MEEKINGS - 5 - just pinched by MOM award for his contribution to the winning goal but equalled Warrenotherwise.

WILLIAMS - 3 - Again not sure if he is a starter or a good bencher - would have liked to have seen him taking people on more and he looked out of place at times.

DRAPER - 5 - Sorry but he always looks better when Foran is'nt there. Charlton fans to a man picked him out as being our best player but he was more like our most inspirational.

VINCENT - 4 - Really impressed and he reminded me of a young Roy McBain with a tad more skill. Perfect combination with Draper in central midfield

DORAN - 4 - Perhaps my expectation levels were too high but he Disapointed in some aspects. He is still carrying a bit of weight and he does not have the pace to compare him with Johnny Hayes. He does have a great touch but may not be the match winner that we were looking fer.

POLWORTH - 4 - again very impressed but what and where is his best position. He really isn't suited to the wide berth and I don't think that he is a striker either. Unfortunately he may be a "reserve" for a few positions but that is a real plus.

McKAY - 5 - poor wee Billy ran his feckin socks off with little support - which was the most worrying aspect of the day.

As fer the subs - Ross may start against Midden but I look forward to seeing how the big Norwegian and the wee Irishman blend. Greenhalgh has a great touch but he is simply too lightweight other than being a "weapon" to unleash late doors.

• Agree 4

Interesting summary of the way the team played IHE,

Brill a tad cumbersome? Sounds as if he may still be building his confidence from lack of success else where in getting the No 1 spot on a regular basis. From what I gathered from the tweeters etc. he did seem to be alert, in the right position at the right times when they attacked his goal, he was vocal and nothing got past him so that is a big plus in my eyes. Obviously we don't know yet his true ability at shot stopping and that will be the true test. I take it by cumbersome you mean hesitant or over deliberate, if so, that is nerves and it wont bother me as confidence will build but if you mean his handling then there may be cause for concern I agree.

Raven took some time to settle with us as his confidence was a bit down when he started, now look how you see him, so fingers crossed for Brill.

Williams, he impressed me at Brora, Good runner, passer and thinker, works hard too. Again I think he doesn't want to make mistakes this early in his debut and more expertise will come.

Totally with you on the Foran issue so I am pleased to see your appreciation of Vincent, Could be a 'Super Trio' there along with Draper and Warren.

I know nothing about our new Norseman but I sense we could be seeing him along with Oor Billie in the near future.

Shinnie and Meekings absolutely sound. Doran to blossom this season.

Not mentioning any more at this time but enough in the squad to do the business.

That was a good test in London, we came through it better than I expected. Roll on Saturday!!

Is there a report forthcoming for the front page or will I dissect this one and remove any incriminating evidence.

Sorry went to the pub when I got home - so that is the missus and you that cant understand the intentions !!  :wink:

As for the BM "questions" - Brill did now wrong and it was the first time that I saw him and I used the word cumbersome as I worry that hecan get down quick enuff for low shots and get up quick enuff to distribute quickly. Again I may be comparing him with the keepers of recent times and he is different - just wish that he was tested more. Williams again passed muster but did not put my heather on fire and he looked a wee bit starstruck at times. Vincent really did impress and I would say that he should be a deffo starter. Doran needs to be played in the owd Shinnie role as I really do not think that he has the pace to be a wide player.

Thanks for your answer, I understand now your Brill concerns, that will be worked on I'm sure. We have the technology !!

Still like Doran out wide he creates useful gaps when he carries the ball, Little and Large could capitalise on that I. e. if our Viking turns out as I hope.

Was impressed with Williams and Vincent against Raith. Sounds like both held their own yesterday with the latter putting in a top performance.

Leaves the question of where captain Foran goes. Vincent and Draper would make up the midfield. Id be inclined to play Richie alongside or just off Billy. Hes a menace aerially and had a good run of form when further up the park last season.

Doran has been at his best in pre-season when playing from the middle and then cutting out to the edges of the area...inevitably dragging defenders with him...and then delivering some deadly balls across goal for others to knock home.

Not sure we should be expecting him to contribute 10 or 12 goals...although it wouldn't surprise me if he did...but I'll wager that he will tee-up the majority of what others score.

Those who didn't see the earlier pre-season games also haven't had the pleasure of seeing Marley Watkins.  Of all the new signings, I think he is the most likely to be a contender for one of the wide spots.

I was there!  :thumbup:

What a lovely stadium, even though it was a little hot, particularly in the first half!  Thought the back four was superb and was really impressed by Vincent and Draper.  Brill seemed fairly solid, but then again didn't have that much to deal with.  Polworth and Williams were alright, while Mckay worked hard but wasn't in it much.  Seen Doran play better if I'm honest.  Our style of football at times was a sight to behold, where I think the only long balls were a goal kick and a couple of clearances.  

Our set-up without the ball was interesting to watch as well.  From what I could see in the first half anyway, Warren and Meekings marked the furthest forward central players, while Williams dealt with the Charlton number 14 (who looked a good player actually), while Shinnie covered the space.  Seemed to work quite well.

Play like that this season, and we'll have a great one to look forward.  I think at this rate, Europe is not just a possibility, it's a probability.

• Agree 1