Brora Rangers

Kingsmills

Guest Mahonio

I have a feeling I could be having to apologise to Dougal, i ken its only 1 game in but Brora could actually challenge this season so here goes, SORRY DOUGAL :ictscarf:.

For once I need to back Dougal, and the bookies. Brora, Cove, Formartine and Nairn will be streets ahead of the rest this season. Buckie, Forres, Devornvale, Keith and the Broch will be ahead of the rest. Suprise of the highland league may be Strathspey Thistle, not that they might challenge for top half, but they could be well away from the Fort, Rothes and Lossie this season

• Agree 1

• 2 months later...

With Grant Munro signing for Brora, they now have 12 ex-ICT players in their ranks, from U20 players to club legends. There's a former youth player of ours, Grant Innes, who I can't even squeeze into this hypothetical team.

Ally Ridgers

David Hind    Grant Munro   Ross Tokely    Stuart Golabek

Ryan Watson   Gavin Morrison   Dale Gillespie    Richie Hart  

Andrew Greig   Zander Sutherland

Would be very interesting if we drew them in the Scottish Cup!

With Grant Munro signing for Brora, they now have 12 ex-ICT players in their ranks, from U20 players to club legends. There's a former youth player of ours, Grant Innes, who I can't even squeeze into this hypothetical team.

Ally Ridgers

David Hind    Grant Munro   Ross Tokely    Stuart Golabek

Ryan Watson   Gavin Morrison   Dale Gillespie    Richie Hart  

Andrew Greig   Zander Sutherland

Would be very interesting if we drew them in the Scottish Cup!

Golly retired at the end of the season so you'd need to re-adjust the team

• 5 months later...

Well done to Brora on winning the league yesterday! Yes, they've 'spent big' but a first Highland League title in their 135 year history is still noteworthy.

If they can repeat the success next season, they'd now find themselves preparing for a game against the Lowland League champions for the right to challenge the bottom SPFL team for their league place.

As things stand, it would be Brora v. Spartans, with the winner taking on Queen's Park.

I'm sure Formartine, Cove and even Nairn, amongst others, will be throwing money at improving their squads for the next campaign.

Interestingly, it's been reported that 7 clubs (un-named) have applied to the Lowland League for 4 places to take their numbers up to 16 for next season.

The days of teams living a comfortable existence in the bottom league of Scottish football are drawing to a close!

• Agree 2

I would certainly go and support whatever highland team plays the bottom team of the SPFL in the play off. Don't wait to see the new shape of the bottom league in 5 or 6 years time. There is the exception of Elgin who need to return to the HL!

Well done to Brora - enjoy it while it lasts because that's a bubble that's going to burst big style. There's a wee bit of manipulation of real expenses versus income going on up there. Single benefactors rarely stick around forever.

Well done to Brora - enjoy it while it lasts because that's a bubble that's going to burst big style. There's a wee bit of manipulation of real expenses versus income going on up there. Single benefactors rarely stick around forever.

From what I'm hearing the benefactors have a five year plan to see Brora win the Highland League five times in a row which will make them have the longest winning streak of being champions in Highland League history

Dougal

Still nothing from Mahonio?!

He must be working. :whistle:

To be fair, he'll be glued to the Davis Cup on TV, but I'm sure he'll send in a 'selfie' later on....of his face. Covered in egg!!!! :smile:

Anyway, interesting point, Dougal, about Brora wanting to take a stranglehold of the Highland League. I wonder if they, or any other club, are 'allowed' to renege on their play-off and pass it on to the runners-up (and so on). Or would Spartans (for example) go straight-through to play the bottom league team?

I would love for Brora to make the Scottish League - the central-belters wouldn't be quite so enamoured!

• Agree 1

I would put money on the current Brora Rangers team to beat Glasgow Rangers.

On a side note, Zander Sutherland has been absolutely sensational playing as an out and out striker this season. His pace and trickery combined with clinical finishing. He's got 35 goals in 44 appearances so far.

He's still only 26. Would love to see him given a trial back at ICT to see what he can do.

Edited by AlexJones

Feck Brora Sevco. They bought the league

What i love about the Highland League is teams like Inverurie and Clach who nurture their own youth through the ranks and bring them together at 1st team level.

Grass roots! Thats what non-league footy is all about!!

AMF

• Agree 2

Still nothing from Mahonio?!

He must be working. :whistle:

To be fair, he'll be glued to the Davis Cup on TV, but I'm sure he'll send in a 'selfie' later on....of his face. Covered in egg!!!! :smile:

Anyway, interesting point, Dougal, about Brora wanting to take a stranglehold of the Highland League. I wonder if they, or any other club, are 'allowed' to renege on their play-off and pass it on to the runners-up (and so on). Or would Spartans (for example) go straight-through to play the bottom league team?

I would love for Brora to make the Scottish League - the central-belters wouldn't be quite so enamoured!

Sneckboy

From what I'm hearing they are solely interested in winning league titles and not into gaining a place in the senior leagues so I guess they would renege the chance for the step up and the place would go to the southern team to battle it out with the bottom league team

To be honest I think they are just too far away geographically and they probably realise that themselves

I'd imagine they would strengthen again in the summer though so next years Scottish Cup could be interesting to see how far they get

Dougal

I dont think distance should be a problem for teams aspiring to join the EPL but the size of the 'electric city' couldn't cope with anything more than highland league.

Well done to them anyway. I'm sure a few Clynelish were drunk over the last couple of days.

Feck Brora Sevco. They bought the league

What i love about the Highland League is teams like Inverurie and Clach who nurture their own youth through the ranks and bring them together at 1st team level.

Grass roots! Thats what non-league footy is all about!!

AMF

Forza, show us a team that has not bought a title. No matter how good or better a team is on paper, they still have to win it

Well done to the Catanachs. Was right about the teams to challenge apart from Cove who seem to have been gash this season

Ofcourse the FACT they can pay for a whole new team who were playing in the SPL last year has absolutely nothing to do with their success?

Here's another FACT - let alone the whole team, none of their players were playing SPL last year!

• 2 weeks later...

Tokely, Munro, Gav Morrison were.

Tokely and Morrison last played in 2012 but granted, I'll give you Munro (no pun intended) - I overlooked that he played a few games for County at the start of this season!

Actually, I've revisited this thread to highlight that Brora are on course to score the most goals ever in a Highland League season.

They currently sit on 120 with two games remaining. They've got Turriff United (away) and Inveruruie Loco Works (home) to play.

The current record stands at 124, achieved by the great Inverness Thistle side in their championship winning 1970 season.

I doubt Thistle had the advantage of playing 34 fixtures that season and there wouldn't have been (with due respect) 'fodder' like Rothes, Fort William and Strathspey back in the day!

Hope I'm allowed to cite another forum....source: http://www.fitbanorth.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4636

Tokely, Munro, Gav Morrison were.

Tokely and Morrison last played in 2012 but granted, I'll give you Munro (no pun intended) - I overlooked that he played a few games for County at the start of this season!

Actually, I've revisited this thread to highlight that Brora are on course to score the most goals ever in a Highland League season.

They currently sit on 120 with two games remaining. They've got Turriff United (away) and Inveruruie Loco Works (home) to play.

The current record stands at 124, achieved by the great Inverness Thistle side in their championship winning 1970 season.

I doubt Thistle had the advantage of playing 34 fixtures that season and there wouldn't have been (with due respect) 'fodder' like Rothes, Fort William and Strathspey back in the day!

Hope I'm allowed to cite another forum....source: http://www.fitbanorth.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4636

im not so sure re the fodder bit? I certainly remember seeing large scores in the HL in the late 70s and into the 80s. Caley beating Deveronvale 11-0 is one that springs to mind.