Earwigs

rytenuff

When I was a kid we always referred to earwigs as Goolachans. ( I don't know how to spell it.)  People from other parts of the country don't seem familiar with this name. I had always assumed it was a mispronunciation of a Gaelic word for earwig but my Gaelic-speaking friends have never heard of it.

The kids don't seem to use that name any more, though I have heard them use Goolie and forkytail.

Maybe it was only in our "gang" that earwigs were called Goolachans?

Maybe it was only in our "gang" that earwigs were called Goolachans?

Not just your gang.  Growing up in Inverness in the 40s and 50s, that's what we called them too. Maybe its a local Inverness name for them.  Certainly if I used it down here in Englandshire folks would think I was mad.

After a Google I found, "Gobhlachan - Gaelic for an earwig, a Parr and a Shad". Must be the way I pronounced it which confused the Gaels among my acquaintances.

In Western Canada an Eulachan is a wee fish--sometimes spelt Oolichans. 

Does that qualify? ..eh? :laugh:

Do these fish have a fork-like tail by any chance? Many Scots pioneered Canada. Perhaps Eulachan is another corruption of a Gaelic word.

Rytenuff

That is possible.

And maybe they smuggled them into  Canada in their suitcase inside a hot water bottle. In them thar days customs procedures were much more relaxed and OOLICHANS were probably not seen as a major risk to the Empire. Smile :crazy:  

In my young days in Inverness a slater was  a man who ran a business putting new roofs on homes.

I suppose slates are rarely if ever used these days to roof a house. :wink:

That could be another thread, old Slater's of Inverness like the Sime & Sons of Kenneth Street!

I think it's slated for replacement next year.

Does anyone remember the Taylors who lived in the large house on the corner of Fairfield Road and Dochfour Drive? He operated his Slater business from the yard at the back of the house.

Always liked Mr Taylor 'cos he would arrive unexpectedly at my house and insisted that I came with him for a run  in his new car(s) --Jowett Javelin as I recall, I left the house with a big grin on my face I can tell you. Adventure always made me grin....DOH! :crazy:

• 2 weeks later...

I remember...when i was a kid......one of my fave passtimes, used to be going to the Dalneigh park....armed with a nice thin stick, and going up to the old concrete fence poles (fence was long gone) and peeking in the little holes where the wire holding up the fence would pass thro. Quite often there would be loads of earwigs in them holes and it was quite good fun poking them all out of the hole with my stick lol

I remember...when i was a kid......one of my fave passtimes, used to be going to the Dalneigh park....armed with a nice thin stick, and going up to the old concrete fence poles (fence was long gone) and peeking in the little holes where the wire holding up the fence would pass thro. Quite often there would be loads of earwigs in them holes and it was quite good fun poking them all out of the hole with my stick lol

Wow Smee, the hours must have just flown by