I know its not football but

Alex MacLeod

I lived on Fairfield rd. two doors down from

'THe Lane!' I remember old bricks and bikes being thrown at me into my garden. Yeh we would throw them back. But ahh it was rough as feck.

Do you mean Bumber's Lane (aka Balnacraig Road) or the lane which links Lilac Grove and Fairfield Rd or what? The brick and bike throwers would be these ruffians from Dalneigh (like me!) heading to the Caley Park for a game I'm sure!!

The one to lilac grove. But that's where all the baddies hung out at that council house behind us. The bottom bit of laurel ave is near there.

Laura... it's the top end of Laurel Avenue that I was speaking about - the bit between the Dalneigh Road roundabout and Bruce Gardens. I don't know what it's like now, but back in the day - certainly in the 60s - it was pretty scary and residents included the gentleman who appears to have been arrested in connection with the firearms incident in Hilton. He was still at Dalneigh School when I remember him first and later moved up to Hilton.

Certainly in my day in Dalneigh, the bottom end of Laurel Avenue (the Caledonian Road end) was perfectly OK. I don't know what it has been like more recently.

I had a tent up in my back garden one summer. I was about 10. And ONe summer only! Someone came in my back garden, slashed all the walls of it up with a hunting knife and then left the hunting knife inside for me to sit on. (One of them really but sharp ones with one side a bit serrated.) however you spell it mun. Charming.

Corr I once lived at the top end of Laurel Ave. and in the early sixties at that, didn't have any problems then, in fact we the top end had the reputation of being the posh end 'cause a lot of my mates from there went to the Kaddy. It must have changed radically towards mid sixties.

........ or else Mr. B has his facts wrong ?

Corr I once lived at the top end of Laurel Ave. and in the early sixties at that, didn't have any problems then, in fact we the top end had the reputation of being the posh end 'cause a lot of my mates from there went to the Kaddy. It must have changed radically towards mid sixties.

........ or else Mr. B has his facts wrong ?

Nope. Apart from the gentleman who is currently in custody in relation to the alleged Hilton gun incident there were quite a few other worthies up that end in the 60s.

• 2 weeks later...