Inverness CT -V- Hearts

Scotty

Very competent performance today against a committed young Hearts side who competed well until they run out of steam. The second half was about as one sided as it gets and if Billy had had his shooting boots on and a bit of good fortune he could have had a double hat trick. Thought Foran was immense and my man of the match.

Every year we have been in the top league my first concern has been to avoid relegation but, not yet out of August, I think we can say with utter confidence that that will not be a concern this season.

Who would have thought that we would ever see a team from Inverness topping the league this far into the season playing attractive fast flowing football with the hardest working and most prolific forward player in the land ?

The only down side is that, despite all that, fewer than 3,000 home supporters bother to turn up.

• Agree 5

Another good all round solid performance, Ross, Vincent & Doran stood out for me.

Foran played captains role well, but passing was off a few times.

MacKay outstanding finishing again.

Just keep this winning mentality going lads.

• Agree 2

I can'y think of many ICT performances that match that one. Minus McDonald and with a bit of good fortune, it might have been 6 or 7. Hearts were reduced to 1 shot on target, but it doesn't tell the whole story. There wasn't a single period of the game where Hearts matched us, never mind dominated. I don't know how long we can stay at the top of the league, but I suspect it might be a whole lot longer than a lot of people think and with a bit of luck it could well be until next May. Get down here and support this team because this is the nearest to genuine history that I reckon Inverness might see in a long time. You don't want to miss it.

• Agree 7

I can'y think of many ICT performances that match that one. Minus McDonald and with a bit of good fortune, it might have been 6 or 7. Hearts were reduced to 1 shot on target, but it doesn't tell the whole story. There wasn't a single period of the game where Hearts matched us, never mind dominated. I don't know how long we can stay at the top of the league, but I suspect it might be a whole lot longer than a lot of people think and with a bit of luck it could well be until next May. Get down here and support this team because this is the nearest to genuine history that I reckon Inverness might see in a long time. You don't want to miss it.

I agree. It has taken over 130 years of professional football being played in Scotland for a team from Inverness to be in this position and goodness knows when, if ever it will happen again.

This could well be a once in a lifetime opportunity. Get away from the TV, forget about charms of The Eastgate Centre and the Retail Park and get yourself along to the stadium and, while you're about it, bring a friend or two with you.

Edited by Kingsmills
  • Agree 3

There were a couple of Jambos walking behind me after the match and one of them summed it up for me.  He said "I'm disappointed but it's not a disaster.  I was expecting to lose but at the end of the season it could come down to goal difference and I'm relieved we only lost by 2 - it could've been double figures!"

There will be times when despite being totally dominant, the ball just won't go in.  I'm just glad it happened today when we were already 2 up.

Should acknowledge the great away support.  They came in numbers and despite the fact that their team was totally outclassed, they never stopped singing. That must give great encouragement to their young and inexperienced team.

• Agree 4

We've talked before about McKay and penalties!! Fair enough I suppose to let him try for his hat trick, but personally I would have stuck with Vincent who scored the last one.

Apparently Butcher agrees. said in post-match interview that Vincent is the PK taker and that he bollocked him out for being sentimental and handing the ball to BM.

I agree that Vincent should have taken it, but should it not be Foran who got the bollocking?  He's the captain on the park and should have ensured that the designated penalty taker did the job the manager gave him.

If Mohammed won't come to the mountain then the mountain must come to Mohammed!

i.e The club must now spend time and money in every way possible to promote this club to the fans in Inverness and district when they are on the crest like this.

When they are down in the dumps that is not the time to do it because the product on the park will at that time not be so attractive.

Once you can get the average punter through the turnstiles, and he enjoys what he sees, then he will come back (hopefully) and tell other people to go as well.

Anything ...like a lottery offering with season tickets or a substantial ticket package as the winning prize and free entry for children. Offer tours of the stadium to boys and girls and have them meet with the Board for a brief chat and have a kick-about with rapid penalty kicks with Dean Brill for say ten minutes. He allows 70% percent to score, falling around in the wrong direction. And just have a great day inside the park. Meet the players and chit chat-very personable and very inspiring for youngsters.

The kids then go home glowing and tell their parents what a great time they had and urge them to take them to a match or matches. The first time they do that they get one ticket free for another adult--that means mum can go along as well for a real family day out.

Dunno if I am on the right track but it's worth a try.

Suggestions?

• Agree 2

Really enjoyed my first taste of Scottish football today. If you watch that every week, your pretty lucky! Shame ICT couldnt finish the game off though and score more.

In the Championship, which I watch every week, a two goal lead is the worst kind as it can soon disappear. many a time I have sat and wondered where our dominanant 2-0 first half performance has gone, as the opposition claw back a draw!

I firmly believe Watford missed out on promotion last year through not pressing home the advantage.

Good luck to you all, as previous guys have said, get down and support your team, cause your missing out on some good times.

Your team has converted us today, we shall be back!

• Agree 7

i.e The club must now spend time and money in every way possible to promote this club to the fans in Inverness and district when they are on the crest like this.

When they are down in the dumps that is not the time to do it because the product on the park will at that time not be so attractive.

Once you can get the average punter through the turnstiles, and he enjoys what he sees, then he will come back (hopefully) and tell other people to go as well.

Anything ...like a lottery offering with season tickets or a substantial ticket package as the winning prize and free entry for children. Offer tours of the stadium to boys and girls and have them meet with the Board for a brief chat and have a kick-about with rapid penalty kicks with Dean Brill for say ten minutes. He allows 70% percent to score, falling around in the wrong direction. And just have a great day inside the park. Meet the players and chit chat-very personable and very inspiring for youngsters.

The kids then go home glowing and tell their parents what a great time they had and urge them to take them to a match or matches. The first time they do that they get one ticket free for another adult--that means mum can go along as well for a real family day out.

Suggestions?

My 15yr old daughters season ticket costs £60 and we sit in the main home support end.

I believe, but cant be fully sure, but if we were to sit in the family stand at Watford, we could get the second adult ticket cheaper.

Watford also do about 4 or 5 family days where kids go for a quid in all parts of the ground, generally against a less fancied side. It normally fills the ground out. The best thing though is that you see the kids coming into the ground with club merchandise, new shirts, new scarfs, bobble hats and things, so Im pretty sure the club makes up the shortfall in ticket prices.

Another thing Watford do is give tickets to schools and clubs. They do this by sending the first team players to the local schools and get them to help with the PE lessons etc etc, and then hand out tickets too.

Its all serious PR with them, hence the "family" club image we have.

• Agree 1

It just has to be feckin great that I, and probably more than a few others, left feeling disappointed. We just totally and utterly dominated that game in a manner that I have never witnessed before. It was like we were strolling and we went into third gear - but still were a class in front. If there are any negatives it is that we really should have feckin hammered them - and in the fifth game of the season we should NOT have allowed McKay to take the spot kick. At the end of the day we may regret not putting our goal difference way ahead.

But 2-0 in a trot against the Jam Tarts is recognition of our present form and status, Brill looks more and moe commanding and is beginning to give others jip around them. Raven makes the odd boo-boo but is solid. Warren, Meekings and Shinnie are as good as anywhere else in the SPL. Loved the way that TB played Foran - in the hole in front of the defence foremost but given the chance to foray if needed. Draper is more effective just in front of him and with Doran and Ross flanking. Vincent was subdued but what a feckin engine he has. McKay scored a cracker early dors and could have bagged a double hat-trick and - sorry - really fecked it up on a couple of chances.

Doran is now tacking and tracking as well as being a runner. Ross looked better than I have ever seen him. But I would give the MOM to Foran, closely followed by Warren.

Happy feckin days.

• Agree 5

Great game today what a start we r having we played the best today that I've ever see us play we used to just punt it up the part and hopefully it reach some one now its all controlled with some great crosses

What saddens me is I don't now how u can live in Inverness and not support them I live 2 hours away we don't manage every home game but we try I wish the city would get behind there local team instead of supporting the old firm

• Agree 5

Inverness basically hammered a very young inexperienced Hearts side today. . I think the Calley fans left the ground wondering how they ICT that is did not win by a more considerable margin. The Hearts fans to their credit sang their voices dry trying to encourage the young players. However the Calley goalie Brill did not have a save to make. He impressed with fantastic distribution, his kicking with both right and left foot is as good as I have seen from a goalkeeper in many a long year. The game was no more than a training exercise, I feel we will have much sterner tests before the season is over. Having said that a win is a win. Terry Butcher is to be commended on the teams performance. I should point out to someone responsible for training that when a centre back comes up to take a long throw in, it is usual for another player to take his place at centre half. A fault that nearly cost us.

2-0...shouldve been like 9-0. We dominated and exploited an inexperienced Hearts side that was missing their only left back and their skipper and were it not for an impressive display from Jamie McDonald and a bit of help from his woodwork it could have been a lot worse.

We were clinical in the first half, Billy took the chances that he got and the team kept what little threat the Jambos posed at bay, the woodwork came to our rescue as well when Jamie Walkers shot clipped the post.

In the Motherwell game we posed little threat going forward in the 2nd half but in today was a different story, Hearts seemed to run out of ideas very quickly. Billy squandered his hat trick chance, failing to round McDonald and then later missed his penalty, not well taken and yet again goes to the same side. In terms of whether it was a good call id have to see it again, was at the other side of the field and seemed to catch everyone by surprise. Also worth noting Forans terrific effort from far out that took a wonderful save from McDonald to tip it away. Would have been a superb strike if it had gone in.

Thought the back four were terrific yet again, stayed solid and have another clean sheet to add to the stats for the season, Deano wasnt called into action much but his handling from crosses and set pieces was decent, think the longer his performances go like this the more we should be thinking about extending his stay beyond January. 

The feel good factor is still vibrant at the moment, games are a pleasure to attend and there is no question that we are getting what we pay for as punters, its a scary thought to think that the longer this goes we could be in line for great things this season. I was realistic at the start of the season, wasnt looking for as good a finish, just as fun a ride, the way we have started this season has left me believing that anything is possible. I expect to get shot down to earth at any point but forgive me for being  starry eyed given the way we are playing.

Long may it continue...

• Agree 4

Great display today. 2-0 up at half time today...but unlike the other games we have been in that situation (Well and Tic) we carried on the first half dominance into the second half. I thought Nick Ross played really well today....lots of lung bursting runs down the left flank.

Richie Foran put in a captians performance. The defence looks solid and plenty creativity in the midfield and yet again, we have found a striker who flourishes in the ICT colours.The whole team put in a real good shift for the whole 90 mins today. its amazing how productive our play can be when we actually play fotball....as opposed to just lumping the ball up the park. If we can maintain this standard of play for a good part of the season.....then European football could be a realistic target.

Good win against a young hearts side fighting relegation. Another clean sheet, and another three points. However, we could of scored more goals, but our goal difference is still decent. The players seem to be playing better and better as the season progresses. Bring on the Killie! We shall not be moved.

Fantastic game all round, outstanding performance and as people have said already we could have easily won that 5 - 0. All the players should be proud of themselves for the way that they've started this season as it's been beyond everyone's wildest expectations. We're looking strong all over the park and the football we are playing id very easy on the eye (no hoofball) the only minor niggles if I was being fussy was Foran's passing being a bit off and obviously Mackay could have easily scored 4. Normally that would be a gripe but considering how well we played it doesn't really matter.

I have to admit I've not always approved of TBs plans over that past few seasons but he certainly seems to know what he's doing. No idea where this season will lead but I'm certainly making the most of it while the going is good! All the players and mgt should be proud of their efforts. :cheer01:   :ictscarf:  :drinking06:

'Insert generic moan about attendances.'

PS- was it just me or were some people gurning at Raven for some reason?  :shrug:

• Agree 1

Well since the vast majority of things to discuss from yesterday are positive and encouraging I felt that it could ba an appropriate time to raise three personal frustrations of mine that I have seen and heard this season.

To me David Raven is similar in many ways to David Proctor. Now do not get me wrong as I felt That Proctor was a good footballer who played for the shirt - and I would put Raven slightly ahead of him. The big difference is that when Proctor made a mistake it always appeared to be punished cruelly whereas Raven does make boo-boos but rarely befalls the misfortunes of Proctor. There are often times that his distribution reminds me of another full back of yore who played international football for Canada! Neither of them had a defensive unit like today's covering for them either.

I have been impressed by our restraint and discipline this season and avoiding suspensions are as important as injuries. But Richie Foran, my MOM yesterday, does my head in with his constant bitching with officials. He was very lucky not to get carded. As captain he is expected to support colleagues but without the clear dissenting presence. Referees do not forget.

And my last abiding frustration is an old one of Mr Butcher. Last week was the perfect opportunity to admit simply "sorry I got it wrong" but he waffles out the excuses. And yesterday he claims that McKay taking the penalty was nothing to do with him - WTF - I could see McKay picking the ball up and setting up fer the penalty a minute due to the kick and the dismissed Jam Tar took a good minute to trudge off. How did,nt TB see what was going on and holler, as he usually effectively does, instructions to Foran or others to tell McKay to give the feckin ball to Vincent. But TB has to have an after match swipe at Vincent and McKay.

Oh and one more !! I noted that TB mentioned in the Highland News that he has never had a player like Meekings who he could utilise to have a long throw option. He either never noticed or perhaps, in line with my psychological theory, has dismissed the name of Grant Munro from his memory banks. And on recollection that Munro throw was very rarely used.

And a final thank you for allowing me to vent my frustrations - I feel a lot better.

BRING ON THE KILLIE - AND I WILL BE THERE.

Oh dear that reminds me of another frustration. - I am in favour of keeping possession and taking time to build up attacks and I concede that it was the ploy to use close to the end when we still hold what could be described as a tenuous lead BUT I thought that we overdid it at times and it became the "norm" and it appeared that it stopped some players from going down the middle. We certainly had a lot of width yesterday and I thought that we looked dangerous when the wide players - predominantly Raven, Shinnie, Doran and Ross were often looking fer that and/or the square ball BUT McKay and Vincent suffered by making space up front and not getting much service. To me Draper and Foran droppedbackthe further the game went .i would also concede that tactically that made sense due to the score line. IF we had got a third it really could have loosened us and it could have been raining goals.

Fortunately of late we seem to be learning from these things and changing the tactics accordingly

Suggestions?

All these things are happening.

Season tickets for a family of four were recently given away via the Inverness Courier, the community dept had a football festival for schools a few couple of months ago in which over 500 kids participated (see video below), a more recent kids kickaround event saw over over 200 kids get the chance to be out on the park with all the players/manager/coaches and players visit various groups, organisations and schools 3 or 4 times a week.

Most of these events are backed with tickets/vouchers to encourage kids to attend a game and to take parents/friends/family along with them....and in addition to that, any kids club, organisation, group or school can request (free) tickets at any time.

Visitors to the stadium are given tours nearly every day and if players/manager are about then they are usually more than happy to have a chat.

• Agree 1