Fans in dangerous situation

bishbashbosh

Never understood the need to stop traffic turning left....let it flow and just have traffic exiting the roundabout do so into the right lane.

Do that at all 4 entry/exit points on the roundabout and you don't need any lights at all, IMO.

Yep the slip lane they had before was great, can't understand why it was got rid of. People who come up with these plans (and prob getting paid heaps of cash) must be on something. 

There were so many fans on carriageway there would be no way of telling where they came from so that won't be an issue. It shouldn't turn into a witch hunt just find a solution. It took me 30 mins to get from top of Millburn slip road to stadium ,sorry not acceptable.

I drove up from Grantown and got stuck before the Milburn turn off at 2.20 pm. After half an hour of being virtually stationary, a blue light came past at 2.50 and the traffic suddenly started moving. The problem must have dawned on someone eventually, but way too late.  It was carnage on the carriageway, full of Hearts fans mostly tanked up abandoning mini buses etc.

I finally got in to the game 20 minutes late - a complete joke. Someone today told me about someone else who was going to get a ticket on the day and gave up. Hardly the way we're going to build better attendances.

Edited by NormaStitz
  • Agree 1

It was a ludicrous decision to construct a stadium so close to the A9 to be honest I'm surprised we got planning go ahead for it

I agree the build up off traffic was probably the worst I've seen on Saturday and like others have said an accident could easily have happened

Another grave concern I have would be the need for emergency vehicles travelling north and south so it has an impact on everyone not just the football fraternity

Only 4000 there on Saturday just imagine how bad it would have been if the game had been a sell out

Dougal

The problem is not that we built a stadium so close to the A9. The problem is the traffic lights on the roundabout. I thought they were temporary whilst work was carried out on the bridge. I've driven to stadium from south when we've been sellout and never experienced the levels of traffic queuing like they were on saturday. Someone blundered there.

• Agree 3

Stop stirring the shyte Dougal, there have never been problems at the longman roundabout as they were on saturday, its quite obviously due to the traffic lights being unable to cope with the extra traffic, as i've said before the Police and traffic(useless)Scotland need to sort themselves out.

If it had been County/Celtic or even Aberdeen it may have been chaos.

It was a ludicrous decision to construct a stadium so close to the A9 to be honest I'm surprised we got planning go ahead for it

Why was it a ludicrous decision?

While you are here maybe you can answer my season ticket sales at Ross County? I'd be very interested in seeing the basis for your argument which, given how long it's been now, must be looking absolutely fantastic.

It's a ludicrous decision because you have hundreds if not thousands of football fans including ones that are inebriated crossing one of the busiest roads in the country

As for your point that has clearly got you seething

County had a higher average attendance than us last year and the novelty factor of SPL football would obviously make them have more season ticket holders. What's more with our dwindling numbers at home I can't see any different trend this season especially since we are doing so well.

If you are so worked up on stats you please show me that we have more Season ticket holders than them if it keeps you happy

Dougal

• Agree 1

It's a ludicrous decision because you have hundreds if not thousands of football fans including ones that are inebriated crossing one of the busiest roads in the country

As for your point that has clearly got you seething

County had a higher average attendance than us last year and the novelty factor of SPL football would obviously make them have more season ticket holders. What's more with our dwindling numbers at home I can't see any different trend this season especially since we are doing so well.

If you are so worked up on stats you please show me that we have more Season ticket holders than them if it keeps you happy

Dougal

I don't think that will have been a particularly weighty consideration when determining the proposal for the new stadium especially given the fact that there was a new access road and paths to the ground. Not disputing that some people won't go along by the harbour / under the bridge though and it would be nice to have some kind of underpass / subway. However, I would wager that one of the positive reasons for building it so close to the A9 is that the stadium is well served by major trunk routes nearby so it is, or rather should be, easy to get to the ground.

i see that yet again you have failed to back up your argument regarding season tickets which isn't much of a surprise to be fair. I'm not claiming that we do have more season ticket holders than Ross County. You made a claim that they have more season ticket holders than us and if you make such a claim then you need to be prepared to back it up if you are challenged on it which you still seem unable to do. Have you actually got any numbers that prove your point or are you just going to rely on guesswork?

Edited by RiG
  • Agree 1

The buses that allowed passengers to exit on to the dual carriageway are in breach of several road regulations and a number of health and safety ones as well.

Which road regulations would these be. If it was a Motorway or restricted special road then yes, but doing so on the A9 is legally no different to letting passengers off on any other Highland Road, where a lot of bus services operate on a hail and ride basis, not to dedicated bus stops. 

The buses that allowed passengers to exit on to the dual carriageway are in breach of several road regulations and a number of health and safety ones as well.

Which road regulations would these be. If it was a Motorway or restricted special road then yes, but doing so on the A9 is legally no different to letting passengers off on any other Highland Road, where a lot of bus services operate on a hail and ride basis, not to dedicated bus stops. 

Think you might find it's a clearway, and there are signs to tell you "no stopping" at regular intervals (blue circle, red cross) There's one just at the round about.

It is the feckin traffic lights and the lack of traffic management which I presume costs the club spondoolachs. Can you imagine the chaos if it is the same story when Aberdire, Cellic or County visit. How are single bus drivers supposed to stop groups of fans who think that they are going to miss the kick off.

• Agree 1

think you might find it's a clearway, and there are signs to tell you "no stopping" at regular intervals (blue circle, red cross) There's one just at the round about.

But the traffic was already stationary. As for the driver saying he couldn't open the doors, it's just the sort of circumstances were the passengers would go ahead and open it themselves and it's not as if pedestrians aren't allowed along there and there is a pavement between the Raigmore Interchange and Longman Roundabout. 

• Agree 1

The problem was caused by the guy manually putting the lights at the roundabout to ALL RED so us pedestrians could cross the road!  Never had the problems when we had the Traffic Wardens doing the same job with larger crowds in the past.  Bring back the Wardens and just have the lights on at peak times! 

info@trafficscotland.org    share the love. 

I have driven on the A9 northbound  to go to the dump and decided to drive past the stadium.  In trying to do so you get stuck at 3 sets of traffic lights just to turn right. this was in the evening, I then thought its going to be a nightmare for North bound football traffic.  Traffic from all directions seems to work really well except the 3rd exit north bound from the A9. 

I must admit it seems ridiculous that you can veer off the A9 drive through an industrial estate with other traffic, roundabouts and traffic lights and drive back to the A9 quicker than the traffic which stays on the A9.

Sorry wasnt having a go! Just think the police and/or transport Scotland need to sort the traffic lights out. Can't remember any major problems with a 4000ish crowd before these traffic lights went up.

I thnk you are absolutley right OCG and I also partly agree with 12th Man in the previous post. I wasn't at the game on Saturday since I was down south but I am following that, with a crowd above 4000 for the first time since the traffic lights were installed, the "system" (or lack of one) couldn't cope.

I am also following that there was a larger than average but not huge travelling support trying to access the ground along the A9 and turning 270 degrees through the roundabout in addition to the normal home support and the roundabout plus lights couldn't cope. Certainly the times taken to reach the ground quoted by some other posters on this thread appear eyewatering. I just wonder what it's going to be like when Celtic or Aberdeen visit - or even Couny with just a 90 degree turn off the roundabout.

The bigger issue is the siutation in general at the stadium roundabout even outwith match days. I am in absolutely no doubt that it is far more difficult to negotiate that roundabout since these useless lights went in. I don't normally use the roundabout at rush hours but one thing I have noticed is that since these lights appeared there are regular warnings of delays on Radio Scotland traffic updates whch there never were before.

The impression I get is that it wasn't particularly broke but some clown somewhere has tried to fix it with these damned lights - and has made it a whole lot worse.

It's a bit disappointing that councillors are not jumping up and down about this - possibly because they are completely preoccupied by the fracas and overspend on link road at the other end of town.

Between one thing and another, the traffic situation in Inverness is a mess. But at least it will ease a bit quite soon when the tourists once again come to the conclusion that there really is nothing in Loch Ness and clear off home and leave us in peace once more.

Edited by Charles Bannerman
  • Agree 1

Sorry wasnt having a go! Just think the police and/or transport Scotland need to sort the traffic lights out. Can't remember any major problems with a 4000ish crowd before these traffic lights went up.

I thnk you are absolutley right OCG and I also partly agree with 12th Man in the previous post. I wasn't at the game on Saturday since I was down south but I am following that, with a crowd above 4000 for the first time since the traffic lights were installed, the "system" (or lack of one) couldn't cope.

I am also following that there was a larger than average but not huge travelling support trying to access the ground along the A9 and turning 270 degrees through the roundabout in addition to the normal home support and the roundabout plus lights couldn't cope. Certainly the times taken to reach the ground quoted by some other posters on this thread appear eyewatering. I just wonder what it's going to be like when Celtic or Aberdeen visit - or even Couny with just a 90 degree turn off the roundabout.

The bigger issue is the siutation in general at the stadium roundabout even outwith match days. I am in absolutely no doubt that it is far more difficult to negotiate that roundabout since these useless lights went in. I don't normally use the roundabout at rush hours but one thing I have noticed is that since these lights appeared there are regular warnings of delays on Radio Scotland traffic updates whch there never were before.

The impression I get is that it wasn't particularly broke but some clown somewhere has tried to fix it with these damned lights - and has made it a whole lot worse.

It's a bit disappointing that councillors are not jumping up and down about this - possibly because they are completely preoccupied by the fracas and overspend on link road at the other end of town.

Between one thing and another, the traffic situation in Inverness is a mess. But at least it will ease a bit quite soon when the tourists once again come to the conclusion that there really is nothing in Loch Ness and clear off home and leave us in peace once more.

Charles as a Loch Ness resident Amen to that!

:amazed:  You live in Loch Ness!

:amazed:  You live in Loch Ness!

Ha ha ha no almost tho....

It was always broke with queues back to Friar's Bridge and the Raigmore Interchange common at evening peak, however as per usual the fix is not quite what is needed. Why has a filter lane for north bound into Inverness been removed for example?

The link road is actually a part of the cure with the traffic this will take away from the town centre and Longman helping to relieve the mid-week problems. Will do nothing for match day's however!

It could be worse.......they could have come up with the nonsense the HC have managed to create at the campus entrance where traffic now goes up to two lanes before being throttled back to a single lane at the overbridge. A license for a few cars to "leapfrog" the cue and annoy anyone who stays in place.

Why not extend the bridge and have two lanes through to Inshes roundabout (where it widens out to three lanes) and improve traffic flow?