Gay Paris

a :  happily excited :  merry <in a gay mood>

b :  keenly alive and exuberant :  having or inducing high spirits <a bird's gay spring song>

c :  bright, lively <gay sunny meadows>

d :  brilliant in color

e  :  given to social pleasures; also :  licentious

• 2 weeks later...

That's Onion Johnny. I remember his face. Mind you that was before most of your posters were even a twinkle in their mother's eye.

Always a smile on his face and onions on his bike.

How strange is that picture too when I hark back. I once had a pen pal who came over to Inverness whose name was Christian Lochon and I still remember his address, IHE, when all other memories have faded badly. -  It was 7 Rue de Gustave Courbet, in Paris.

When you are over there would you mind dropping by to see if he still lives there?

When he came over I took him and his well-dressed mother (she wore soft suede bootees) up the castle grounds , the day was sunny and clear and the view was awesome. She remarked about me to him : "He is speaking French and English"--I was flattered that she even recognised my pigeon French at all,  so a good outing was enjoyed by all.  

:smile:

And....if you look closely at the bottom of the photo you will see what appears to be his real name which was Andre--so that's him all right. Tanned as a Western cowboy no less.

My goodness, where on earth did you get his face to put on the kilted outfit IHE?

That's Onion Johnny. I remember his face. Mind you that was before most of your posters were even a twinkle in their mother's eye.

Always a smile on his face and onions on his bike.

How strange is that picture too when I hark back. I once had a pen pal who came over to Inverness whose name was Christian Lochon and I still remember his address, IHE, when all other memories have faded badly. - It was 7 Rue de Gustave Courbet, in Paris.

When you are over there would you mind dropping by to see if he still lives there?

When he came over I took him and his well-dressed mother (she wore soft suede bootees) up the castle grounds , the day was sunny and clear and the view was awesome. She remarked about me to him : "He is speaking French and English"--I was flattered that she even recognised my pigeon French at all, so a good outing was enjoyed by all.

:smile:

Why did he get the name Onion Johnny?

Incredible! IHE.  

Whether you are fishing for compliments or not here they are. :clapoverhead:  :cheer01:  :twothumbsup:  :thumbup:  :tongue:  :nanananana:  :rotflmao:  :furtive:  :bighug:

And Fraz, he was called that because in them thar days that was what the local residents called him or  onion sellers. . Mind you he travelled all over England as well, on his trusty bike I assume or maybe he loaded the bike into the van along with the onions.

His  name was Andre Chapalain and if you look at the bottom of the photo you can just make out this name. Very nice fellow though. Came from Brittany or Normandy.

Station Square--looks like these buildings needed a good power-washing?..and the cobble stones are no doubt all gone?

How did the battle with Ivan the Terrible turn out and did he wear a kilt as well to confuse you?