Another good MacGiollaBháin article

PaderbornCaley

Phil MacGiollaBháin has again hit the nail on the head regarding journalism and a certain football team in Scotland after Spence Gate. 

If you haven't read Phils book 'Downfall' I recommend it. 

http://www.newsnetscotland.com/index.php/scottish-opinion/8033-the-attacks-on-jim-spence-are-an-attack-on-democracy

• Agree 1

Though they are right, these people will never admit it. And it is not a big deal in the scheme of things, it doesn't change any thing either way. Better to be pushing against FIFA corruption than semantics. that said, Jim's comments were just off the cuff, and this reaction needs to be taken seriously by police.

“Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed: everything else is public relations.” Oscar Wilde

Nothing. But remarkably, the BBC Trust ruled that the BBC should not refer to the "old" and "new" clubs and should instead pander to Rangers fans by pretending that it is one continous club that didn't go bust and then get reformed as a new entity.

• Agree 1

That's your reading of it.  Mine is that I care nothing for the business side of football and it's the social side that makes history.  A team of Rangers players playing in Rangers shirts in the Rangers stadium managed by the Rangers manager and supported by Rangers fans is Rangers.  They've long been called The Rangers, both in history and by fans of all persuasions - and many clubs, such as Woolwich Arsenal, have slightly changed their name.  It doesn't matter if that's Rangers, Gretna or Accrington Stanley - the financial side is bluff and nonsense.  The fact that we are discussing sport as a business rather than sport as a social event shows how far we are from the game of football.

Wimbledon never went bust but transferred their name/stadium etc to Milton Keynes Dons.  But MK Dons are not Wimbledon, despite the business dealings.  FC Wimbledon are closer to the original club.

And for those that think that means I'm a Rangers fan, having them out of the SPL (or whatever it's called next week) is a great move and long may it continue. I just wish Scottish football had got the finances a little more equal in the intervening time.

The comments are quite enlightening as well. The negative ones simply proved the point he was trying to make!

Confused as to why voting Yes in 2014 would make any difference though to the kind of vile and abhorrent behaviour that was being reported. Are the YesNP going to round these abusers up and deport them to an island off the British coast where they can wallow in their bitter self-persecution then? In that case I may just change my vote!!

Surprised there's not been more chat on here re this and similar. Lots of discussion on twitter.

keep it with the twitts, the less of the old firm gossip on here the better

Not old firm gossip in my opinion! Surely that we are seen to be playing on a level playing field is very important to a team like ours who play by the rules?

Surprised there's not been more chat on here re this and similar. Lots of discussion on twitter.

keep it with the twitts, the less of the old firm gossip on here the better

A Dundee United supporting Scottish football journalist getting abused in the street for doing his job is hardly 'Old Firm gossip'.  Fans from 41 clubs in Scotland have shown support for Jim Spence. 

That's your reading of it.  Mine is that I care nothing for the business side of football and it's the social side that makes history.  A team of Rangers players playing in Rangers shirts in the Rangers stadium managed by the Rangers manager and supported by Rangers fans is Rangers.  They've long been called The Rangers, both in history and by fans of all persuasions - and many clubs, such as Woolwich Arsenal, have slightly changed their name.  It doesn't matter if that's Rangers, Gretna or Accrington Stanley - the financial side is bluff and nonsense.  The fact that we are discussing sport as a business rather than sport as a social event shows how far we are from the game of football.

I have some sympathy with what you are saying but the fact is that is that it was the corrupt business of the old Rangers club that got in the way of the sport.  To ignore the consequences of that corruption because it gets in the way of the social side is to condone it.  Rangers fans may not like it, but the fact is that the current club is a separate legal entity to the old club even if the social support for the club is the same.  If they don't like people pointing that out, they should direct their considerable vitriol at those responsible for the demise of the old club and not at those who defend integrity in sport.

As a public broadcasting authority, the BBC should be making a point of distinguishing the new club from the old.  This will be particularly important if and when The Rangers win a major national title.  They need to be clear that this will be the first time the club has won this title and not pander to the vitriol of the fans who may like to think it will be the umpteenth time their club has won it.  Such a distinction serves as a constant reminder to the footballing world that putting business before sport has a price attached to it  

• Agree 4

Which is also why the way Heart of Midlothian was dealt with was different to how Rangers were dealt with. That practical reality pricks the fantasy bubble of the die-hard blue-nose which they don't like, but as is typical of them, it is used as a way of perpetuating this persecution complex they seem to drag around with them.

Which is also why the way Heart of Midlothian was dealt with was different to how Rangers were dealt with. That practical reality pricks the fantasy bubble of the die-hard blue-nose which they don't like, but as is typical of them, it is used as a way of perpetuating this persecution complex they seem to drag around with them.

How was Hearts dealt with differently? Hearts went into administration and were deducted 15 points. Rangers went into administration and recieved the same fate. But then Rangers got liquidated. If Hearts are liquidated I expect them to recieve the same treatment.