A Picture of Heaven

IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Tommy must have been struggling with the pitch!  Judging by the cars at the rear of the house bottom right it must have been when Brian Riza (Argyle Car Sales) owned it before he opened on Glenurquhart  Road.

14 hours ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

I thought that you would have been more Shute of the date IBM given the number of cars in that photo :lol:

No all I can say to that is there are more red ones than black ones :wink:

Was the portakabin to the right of the stand put in for ICT hospitality or had it been there in Caley days? I can't remember but if it's the former then the photo will date between Summer 1994 and October 1996 if that's the date you're looking for.

Edit - come to think of it, the away end turnstile which I think was another SFL innovation can also be seen, also suggesting 94-96. I don't know what else might be deduced from the wear on the pitch apart possibly more likely to be winter than mid summer. The winter of 95-96 was especially hard.

Edited by Charles Bannerman
  • Disagree 1

• 1 month later...

One of my all time Howden End faves

Drawing on formidable local press research and anecdotal evidence from star witnesses such as Davy’s contemporaries and fans at Nairn, Aberdeen and Inverness Caley, Wilson paints a picture of a prodigiously-gifted footballer whose modesty almost outweighed his talent. Unfortunately, so did his lack of self-belief and his inability to come to terms with the demands of the city and the expectations of a full-time footballer ultimately saw him return to his Highland League comfort zone after less than three years in the sacred red. Happily, Johnston carried on where he left off and he thrilled Highland League fans for a further seven seasons, playing a bit part in Nairn’s finest hour, their dramatic clinching of the 1976 championship.

davy j.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...