A Picture of Heaven

IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER

Caley, early 70s.  I think that's the League Cup - the others (League Trophy, Q Cup, and North Cup) are bigger, and the Inverness Cup wasn't running at the time.  So, from a quick look at the records, I'd say 1971-72.

Caley Secretary Neil Smith with the dark coat on the left, long time player and official "Porridge" Mackintosh with the dark coat on the right.

Chic Allan to the right of Neil Smith.  Must have been one of the last things he won, because he tragically died by falling off a hotel room balcony in 1972.

Dave Bennett behind Chic Allan?

George Stapledon and Bobby Noble middle of second row.  Dave Johnston second row to the left of Porridge.  Possibly Freddie Neild back left behind Dave J.

Who the two holding the trophy are I don't know.  Is the one on the left Donald Park? 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

Caley, early 70s.  I think that's the League Cup - the others (League Trophy, Q Cup, and North Cup) are bigger, and the Inverness Cup wasn't running at the time.  So, from a quick look at the records, I'd say 1971-72.

Caley Secretary Neil Smith with the dark coat on the left, long time player and official "Porridge" Mackintosh with the dark coat on the right.

Chic Allan to the right of Neil Smith.  Must have been one of the last things he won, because he tragically died by falling off a hotel room balcony in 1972.

Dave Bennett behind Chic Allan?

George Stapledon and Bobby Noble middle of second row.  Dave Johnston second row to the left of Porridge.  Possibly Freddie Neild back left behind Dave J.

Who the two holding the trophy are I don't know.  Is the one on the left Donald Park? 

Donald Park and Jim Lynas hold the Highland League Cup after beating Huntly 6-2 in November 1971. 

13 minutes ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

That's Jim Lynas?  Most flattering photo of him I have ever seen.  I remember him as being... er... craggier :lol:

That's what it said in the P&J I would not have known otherwise :lol:  You did well with the others.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I was at that one, and still have the programme somewhere. A competitive match but 0-4. Two goals for some young lad Lineker, probably never made the grade and this would’ve been the highlight of his short career.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• 2 weeks later...

My Mum passed away last month, so I can now say that that's where she spent the final years of her life, in the care home.  Her room was right at the far end of the home, and I reckoned that it was on the far goal line or perhaps even the terracing, just to the right of those tracks.  Whenever she forgot where she was, my reminder was always "You're on Inverness Thistle's pitch!"  :lol:

On 4/9/2023 at 8:15 AM, weeman said:

Maybe heaven for a few on this site;Picture 2 of 2 

Is that from Steve Finan’s book? Can’t check it as I’m in Lewis right now. I got a free copy because I supplied the photos from Caley and Stranraer. Quite fancy vol 2 and 3 bút Mrs Mantis has imposed a rule that I have to throw out a book for every one I buy, so 99% of my reading is now on kindle on the iPad.

16 hours ago, TheMantis said:

Is that from Steve Finan’s book? Can’t check it as I’m in Lewis right now. I got a free copy because I supplied the photos from Caley and Stranraer. Quite fancy vol 2 and 3 bút Mrs Mantis has imposed a rule that I have to throw out a book for every one I buy, so 99% of my reading is now on kindle on the iPad.

I don't know if it's from the book. Someone is selling it on ebay!

22 hours ago, TheMantis said:

Selling what? A page out of a book 😜

Item description from the seller

Inverness Thistle FC 1995 - 2 Pictures of Thistle's Kingsmills Park.

2 Pictures of Kingsmill Park, 9"×8", After the Club had Moved Out

1995 was 100th Anniversary of First Game

From Lifted Over Turnstile Book.  Large Envelope

Edited by weeman
Additional info

3 hours ago, weeman said:

Item description from the seller

Inverness Thistle FC 1995 - 2 Pictures of Thistle's Kingsmills Park.

2 Pictures of Kingsmill Park, 9"×8", After the Club had Moved Out

1995 was 100th Anniversary of First Game

From Lifted Over Turnstile Book.  Large Envelope

That’s just crazy. He seems to have photographed the book intact so presumably will tear the photos out or scan them which raises copyright issues. Anyway you can get the whole book on Amazon for £12.99.

• 2 months later...