A Picture of Heaven

IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Jamaica St before the houses were built on Maclennan Crescent side, 3 Bedford OLB's, Ford Thames & Albion.

I know you are almost always right on these things IBM, but is that not the Anderson Street side of Bon Accord with Jamaica Street round the corner to the left past the lorries? Is the end of the building, as viewed from Jamaica Street, not to the left?

When I worked for Tommy Robb in my summer job in 1971 and 1972, I used to use both doors with my lorry and I think that one may be the one bedise the offices facing on to Anderson Street.

Same as above, from a different profile. Note the difference in floodlights and also the blue paint along the front of the stand in 'my' pic - whereas it's white in IHEs pic - I assume picture 2 is earlier than pic 1?

post-3020-0-76361900-1426676943_thumb.jp

• Agree 1

The HSBS advert dates the second one to a relatively late date before demolition in 1996, as do the Anderson and Jarvie and Weldex ones . I would guess that second pic is pretty well into the latter days of Telford Street.

As for the first one, it is clearly a fair bit earlier. When was the Distillery demolished? There is no sign at all of development on the "foothills" of Craig Phadrig and an apparent lack of pitchside advertising on that side of the ground at least. There is also apparently some white writing underneath the blue club name on the roof of the stand which is not to be seen in the later photo where I am wondering whether the trees are a fair bit more mature than in photo 1.

Is the 1960s too early a guess for photo 1?

• Agree 1

The HSBS advert dates the second one to a relatively late date before demolition in 1996, as do the Anderson and Jarvie and Weldex ones .

Another interesting observation not at all unusual in football - here we have Messrs Anderson, Jarvie, Urquhart and McGilvray, all very much Caley people, generously sponsoring the club through their businesses. I am sure there were serveral more - both at Telford Street and Kingsmills.

Jamaica St before the houses were built on Maclennan Crescent side, 3 Bedford OLB's, Ford Thames & Albion.

I know you are almost always right on these things IBM, but is that not the Anderson Street side of Bon Accord with Jamaica Street round the corner to the left past the lorries? Is the end of the building, as viewed from Jamaica Street, not to the left?

When I worked for Tommy Robb in my summer job in 1971 and 1972, I used to use both doors with my lorry and I think that one may be the one bedise the offices facing on to Anderson Street.

Just testing you Charles :wink: was it the bottling plant that was on Jamaica St? 

Just testing you Charles :wink: was it the bottling plant that was on Jamaica St? 

It's all part of the same building which is on the corner of Anderson St and Jamaica St. The manufacturing and bottling plant more or less sat in the middle of it and the offices were at the front looking on to Anderson St. As I recollect, the big side door on Jamaica St was where the lorries were loaded up to go away on their rounds. The big front door on Anderson St, shown on the photo and beside the offices was, I think, where the lorries came back with empties which were then put into a washer.

I always reckoned Bona Cola was better than Coke and their plain lemonade used to be pretty good as well. Like MacKintoshes (they of Queen's Cup) Bon Accord had a good variety of flavours and you could also get Pineapple, Cream Soda, Bon Ora (orange), Lime and one or two more. When I was there they were undergoing a transition from their traditional dimpled bottles with a "waist" to the clear, more conventional ones.

Happy days. Tommy Robb paid me a tenner a week and 5p a dozen commission as I went about the Highlands trying to drum up new business. Roy Lobban was the works manager.

There was one particular driver who wasn't the quickest witted of the bunch and required the duration of a long drawn out expletive to formulate his next statement. On one occasion our rounds crossed in Grantown on Spey where he appeared to have acquired a supply problem to which he had, however, formulated a potential remedy...

"F***innnnnnn.....any plain?"

"F***innnnnnn.....all done"

"F***innnnnnn.....none left!"

• Agree 1

That will be Kevin Corbett who is the mascot at the front I think. How time passes - I was at Stevie Polson's 50th in the Caley Club just a couple of weeks ago. Other familiar faces in there include Johnston Bellshaw (is that him back left?), Nero MacDonald, Billy MacDonald, Billy Urquhart, Martin Lisle, Sandy anderson, John Doc, Duffers?, Peter Corbett, Wilson Robertson. And do we have Roddy Davidson and Herchie in between Nero and Billy MacDonald/

• 2 weeks later...