SPL top team

bdu98196

Anyone recall how long any non-OF has lead the league table for in recent years, we are at 8 games, am I right thinking Hearts were at 11 or 12 before Vlad went mad and sacked his manager for being too good?

What about during the season - Don's in the early 90's or Hearts back in '86?

In 2005 Hearts won their first 8 league games in style (but were knocked out of the League Cup by Livi). I think they then drew 2 games, one of which was v Celtic, and then Burley got the boot.

Other than that, I can't recall any non-OF team having such a good start as us, I'm sure you'd have to go back a long way.

Edit to add: just looked up Hearts of the mid-80s. In season 86/87 they had the very same W/D/L record as us after 8 games - but then won only 1 of their next 8, and finished 5th in the end.

That was the season after they nearly won the league. In 85/86 they only won 2 of their first 9 before going on a tremendous unbeaten run which lasted until they blew it at Dens on the last day.

Edited by Yngwie

I've looked through the previous seasons results and indeed, you're right - it's the first time we've won 4 home games in a row! (in the top tier). I was pleasantly surprised that we'd won 3 in a row on a number of occasions. But never 4! 

Looking back, our best run of top flight results at home was probably this:

December 2006 - Inverness 2-1 Rangers (last gasp goal from Rankin eluded Alan McGregor - great Xmas present!)

January 2007 - Inverness 2-1 St. Mirren (Bayne and Wyness notch for us)

January 2007 - Inverness 3-0 Hibernian (I remember being hung-over at this in the North stand...might have been a Sunday game!)

January 2007 - Inverness 1-2 Celtic (venegoor of Hesselink grabbed a last minute winner as Celtic rob us!)

March 2007 Inverness 1-0 Dundee United (Barry Wilson goal)

Great memories typing that but we're even better placed now!

• Agree 1