Lennon and Juanjo incident revisited

CELTIC1CALEY3

From the BBC "The sending-off is uncalled for and unnecessary. It's very soft. I have looked at it; if there was any contact it was minimal." No that is not from the archive and no it did not originate from the ICT appeal against the Juanjo sending off.

In terms of justice, I hope Celtic appeal the Brown sending off. We won our appeal because it was a blatant injustice. Hopefully last night's subtle trip and blatant kick were really blatant injustices. We all know that Brown gets away with quite a lot in the Scottish game. Interesting also to see the Celtic centre half leaning into a Barca player and then giving him a shove. Sooner or later we might see that being punished in the Scottish game.

When Doran was bundled over at Celtic Park in the 2-2 draw it looked like a clear foul. 

Brown got what he deserved. What goes around comes around. He is a particularly nasty arrogant ned type of player and was caught out doing his usual snide petulant niggles. It's a part of his game he doesn't need, but he continues to do it. Typifies him, if I can't beat him, I'll just kick him style of play.

Match Stats
Possession82%18%90minsCelticBarcelona

• Agree 2

From the BBC "The sending-off is uncalled for and unnecessary. It's very soft. I have looked at it; if there was any contact it was minimal." No that is not from the archive and no it did not originate from the ICT appeal against the Juanjo sending off.

In terms of justice, I hope Celtic appeal the Brown sending off. We won our appeal because it was a blatant injustice. Hopefully last night's subtle trip and blatant kick were really blatant injustices. We all know that Brown gets away with quite a lot in the Scottish game. Interesting also to see the Celtic centre half leaning into a Barca player and then giving him a shove. Sooner or later we might see that being punished in the Scottish game.

When Doran was bundled over at Celtic Park in the 2-2 draw it looked like a clear foul. 

Appeal against what?

It was a clear red card. A kick out against an opponent, lightweight or not, is still violent conduct. Brown was going to be booked until the referee saw the wee kick he had at Neymar. Yes the Brazilian over reacted but that doesn't disguise the fact that it was a red card offence and Brown was rightly ordered off.

• Agree 4

Agree that it was a red card. Remember the card was not for the original tackle but for the sneaky cynical wee kick he had at the player while he was on the ground. It is not relevant that the kick was a light one or that Neymar made the most of it, it was violent conduct and left the referee with little option.

For Celtic's captain and most experienced player to be so irresponsible at a time when eleven man Celtic were doing such a decent job in frustrating and containing their illustrious opponents ought to result in his manager being furious not with the officials but with the players but I had an idea how he would react as Lennon, himself, was precisely that sort of player.

The bottom line is that Brown, as club captain, let himself down, let his fellow players down and let the fans down by his actions and Lennon has as well by his entirely predictable reaction.

• Agree 3

I'd just like to add that in case of violent conduct like with some other offences the attempt is enough for punishment, in this case a red card. From the TV pictures it looked like more than an attempt.

• Agree 1

It was a straight red. Doesn,t matter about Naymar's reaction.

Brown was an absolute idiot, and got caught doing what he habitually does week in week out.

As for Neymar, and this agruement about a tap, or minimal contact, or no contact, or he was just running in his usual stride (haha),when Neymar is initially fouled, he slides quite a distance, 3 or 4 strides for Brown to get to him. He is sliding away from Brown in a different direction as he was going across Brown's path, and continues to slide facing the Celtic goal, not looking at Brown. Somehow Brown has turned to follow his slide, knows the whistle has gone, yet makes sure he runs into Naymar's path, and lifts his foot higher to make contact. Naymar did not know where he was, as he was facing the opposite direction, yet he immediately reacted to hold the part of his back that Brown appeared to kick going by the TV cameras. Strange he would know he had been kicked there if there was no contact!

Brown was an absolute disgrace and idiot for letting Celtic down, as he does not need to do that.

As for Lennon defending his actions and slagging off an opponent, he should be charged by UEFA.

As you mention in the first place, many off us were at Pittodrie on sunny day, when Neil Lennon did the same thing when there was no contact, and no attempt of contact. Feel like taking over the BBC and reminding Lennon of his own over reacrtions (cheating) back then. And why oh why do the interviewers afterwards never call it straight and go for the jugular. How can you justify defending your player after such a blatantly stupid action that probably cost you the chance of another massive result. What TV pictures did you watch that no one else has seen, as everyone else watching saw the kick! they have no guts to ask the questions

• Agree 1

Definite straight red, what was Brown thinking doing that in such an important game for Celtic. He clearly kicked out at Neymar, he probably would of got off with it in a league game, however he is still the captain of Celtic and should be leading by example, not reducing their chances of qualifying for the next round! 

Edited by LSimpsonICTFC
  • Agree 1

Clearly a red and anyone who cant see why needs their head examined. If you aim a kick at someone be it a sneaky wee one or a kung-fu drop-kick a la Cantona then it deserves a red card. The colour of card is not dependant on whether the kick makes contact or not. It is blatantly violent contact and merits a red.

Lennon is showing his true colours. Cheated to get Juanjo sent off and yet see's fit to defend a player kicking out at someone. Questionable morals

I should add that I despise the theatrics of Neymar et al as much as anyone else but on this occasion Scott Brown made the referees job a simple one without any need to heed the gymnastics from Barca

The referee brought out a yellow card after the kick. He then looked at the 'severe' injury Neymar pretended to have. Then he put the card away and brought out the red. The histrionics were all important in getting Brown sent off. With no play acting, there is no red card from the ref.

There were far more dangerous tackles in the game. If Kayal had play acted on a far more crude and injury threatening piece of recklessness, then its 10 v 10. Its not what I want to see. Get up and get on with the match. Just a piece of handbags at dawn. No injury and no threat of an injury.

Brown really is a nasty player.  That probably explains why Lennon likes him. 

The foul initially reminded me of Beckham's red card against Argentina but on reflection they were quite different.  Beckham's was silly spur of the moment petulance - he immediately realised he had done wrong and let everybody down.  Brown's was caclulated nastiness for which he showed no remorse. 

It doesn't matter that it wasn't overtly vicious.  He could and should have avoided any contact with Neymar but instead he deliberately ran into Neymar, had a little dig at him with his knee following into the back. 

Celtic were playing well and Barcalona were looking really pretty ordinary.  It would not have suprised me one bit if Celtic had got something from the game had Brown not got a red card.  His stupid behaviour could potentially cost his club millions and one only hopes that the Celtic board take Brown and his loutish manager to task. 

As for Neymar, well he was lucky not to get a yellow card for his over-reaction. 

Barcalona will be delighted to return to Spain with their narrow win.  They may feel they were forunate but  their overwhelming feeling must surely be relief that they were only up against the 2nd best team in Scotland.

• Agree 2

Well, I disagree with the last statement too. Barca would have carved out chances if needed. And all they need is one. Celtic can play well all they like but without a European-level striker, its always going to be in vain. Instead of spending money on squad players, they should have put as much as they could into the best striker they could. Yeah, it wont be Messi, even if they could afford him, but a 10-12M striker that can take and make a chance is all that stands between victory over AC Milan and a draw against Barca.

It does make me feel a little better about Scottish football when a team from our league can stand against European powers.

Wont be a regular feature on Scott Brown, as he will be banned for the next few Champions league games. After Lennons denial of Brown's actions and blaming Naymar, Brown seemingly was on Celtic TV apologising to the fans for his heat of the moment stupidity, So will Lennon apologise to Naymar for accusing him of there being no contact and cheating. Hmm a cheat calling an opposition player a cheat, didnt he do that a few weeks ago with St Perth too, and yet he plays several players better known for the same weakness in staying on their feet.

The referee brought out a yellow card after the kick. He then looked at the 'severe' injury Neymar pretended to have. Then he put the card away and brought out the red. The histrionics were all important in getting Brown sent off. With no play acting, there is no red card from the ref.

There were far more dangerous tackles in the game. If Kayal had play acted on a far more crude and injury threatening piece of recklessness, then its 10 v 10. Its not what I want to see. Get up and get on with the match. Just a piece of handbags at dawn. No injury and no threat of an injury.

Dry your eyes mun . Your big team got beat fair and square , get over it .

Grew up a Rangers supporter, switched to St Mirren when I got my own mind as a teenager then started supporting ICT when it was formed. But I do support Scottish teams in Europe. Thats the only time Celtic and support go together for me.

Despise play acting and also, as I stated, think Celtic would have lost with or without Brown.

Unlike DalneighDons here, I dont have a big team. ICTs first match, the friendly against the Buddies, meant I decided upon ICT from the start. Noone else. Can you say the same DC?

• Agree 2

Grew up a Rangers supporter, switched to St Mirren when I got my own mind as a teenager then started supporting ICT when it was formed. But I do support Scottish teams in Europe. Thats the only time Celtic and support go together for me.

Despise play acting and also, as I stated, think Celtic would have lost with or without Brown.

Unlike DalneighDons here, I dont have a big team. ICTs first match, the friendly against the Buddies, meant I decided upon ICT from the start. Noone else. Can you say the same DC?

No , no I cant .

Brown is a thug. Always has been, always will be. Some may argue that you need that type of player in your team and I suppose there is some truth in that but will never change which means that despite having good aspects to his game he will always let himself and his team down with that petulant side to his game. Last night was a prime example.

He makes very little contact with Neymar (who rolls around like hes been invaded by an Ant farm) but its still contact and its blatantly obvious he aims the kick at Neymar which he dosent have to do, he gives the ref a reason to send him off. If I were Lennon id be fuming as Celtic had a major foothold in the game and to lose not just any player but your captain to something so ridiculous and in such an important game is a measure of Scott Brown. But when it comes to Celtic or indeed Rangers (RIP 1872-2012) for that matter its never an internal problem. Always someone elses fault. I hope he sees sense to not appeal. It would be a waste of time. 

Edited by AJS
  • Agree 1