union jack at Perth game

Joe DiMaggio

There is no such thing as a British league. We play in a Scottish league. Was the flag purely brought to for political purposes which is what you are hinting at above, in that case it has no place at a caley thistle game unless you would be just as happy for yes flags or Scottish not British flags to be waved at the next game. It obviously has connotations in Scottish football and it is clear that a lot of fans didn't like it so best to leave it at home and not to cause tension among our own support.

Also for the record I am not the older guy who took the flag but I seen the conversation. There was many fans around me though making comments about the flag and not one of them was positive. It was clear the majority of fans did not want it at the game or the associations it would give of ict fans

As it's clearly such a contentious issue I will be sure to leave it at home In future. It wasn't any form of political statement just showing we have fans who travel from all over. I'm sure if we ever had a welsh supporters club there will be a red dragon in our end.

The story being retold is a sad affair. It reflects badly on the state of opinion in Scotland where the Union Jack and the Tricolour are seen to reflect the unsavoury elements of two entities that use it for their own gain like battle standards.

I personally have no problem with either but others see them as proverbial red flags. Sad but thats just the way it (very unfortunately) is.

Edited by Tichy_Blacks_Back
  • Agree 1

I assume that the person who grabbed the flag bursts into tears when they walk past the Castle when the court is sitting and the Union flag is flying.

Looking forward to unveiling my Israel-Union Jack-Ulster flag at the County game.

• Agree 1

God help us if an English flag appeared or lets say a Norwegian one (I believe that is red, white and blue last time I looked also).

There's already been a Terry Butcher/ICT England flag!  Look rather snazzy I thought as well!

I assume that the person who grabbed the flag bursts into tears when they walk past the Castle when the court is sitting and the Union flag is flying.

Looking forward to unveiling my Israel-Union Jack-Ulster flag at the County game.

Or every time they have to use their passport. Unfortunately the small picture for some obscures the bigger one. A sad reflection on modern Inverness....

• Agree 1

I think that the "problem" here is that certain flags in Scottish grounds are immediately linked to religion and the Old Filth. It would appear that the flag was borne by an individual who did not fly it with the intent of being provocative or sectarian. The problem would be if at the same game some followers of Billy McKay could unfurl the Hand of Ulster with ICT across it, followed by followers of Foran and Doran unfurling a tricolour with ICT across it - and then a St George's Cross is added.

When you actually try and visualise that scene - would it NOT be the greatest sight on a Scottish football ground EVER. The old Caley Union Jacks were used by Rangers supporters and at that time the non Rangers followers ignored it due to the club colours.

No reason to bring nation flags into domestic club football. Everyone on here knows what connotations, rightly or wrongly, it has and I'm sorry, but at what point leaving the house did that come after your wallet, phone, keys, and ticket?

Well that was a bit of a pathetic poll that was started. There is a bit of a difference between saying we shouldn't be taking union jacks to ict games and actually being offended by the flag.

Out of the say 20 people I was speaking to on Saturday everyone made comments about who the hell took that flag to the game. Also interesting to note that the only time I have ever seen a union flag at an ict game before has been at games against celtic taken by the same guys and at one of those games they sang bigoted songs about fienians the whole time.

Let's be serious here. It's a flag, it's blue red and white, we wear those colours, it has Inverness written on it because that's our club. It's not like their singing "f**k the pope" and "hello hello" now is it? The fact it's been called a "Union Jack" on here sums it up. Just because our defence was all at sea doesn't mean the flag was flown out at sea?

Why not sing Simply the Best and get it over and done with? You can play the colour coincidence and nationality card all day, but you'd have to be from pretty far away from reality to suggest this was a wholly naive mix-up.[/quot

I'm sorry but since when did the union flag belong solely to Rangers? Have I missed something?

• Agree 4

What are/would be people's views on the flying of the following flags at football matches in Scotland?

Australia, Cambodia, Chile, Cook Islands, Costa Rica, Cuba, Croatia, Czech Republic, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Dominican Republic, Faroe Islands, Fiji, France, Iceland, Laos, Liberia, Lichtenstein, Luxembourg, Malaya, Malysia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, North Korea, Norway, Panama, Paraguay, Philippines, Puerto Rico, Russia, Sabah, Samoa, Serbia, Saint Maarten, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, United States

Strictly speaking, the only one that ticks the box in terms of being ICT colours (Red, Blue, Black & White) is South Korea, but I've included red/blue and red/white/blue combinations (and some have small amounts of other colours on badges/logos).