union jack at Perth game

Joe DiMaggio

What are/would be people's views on the flying of the following flags at football matches in Scotland?

Australia, Cambodia, Chile, Cook Islands, Costa Rica, Cuba, Croatia, Czech Republic, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Dominican Republic, Faroe Islands, Fiji, France, Iceland, Laos, Liberia, Lichtenstein, Luxembourg, Malaya, Malysia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, North Korea, Norway, Panama, Paraguay, Philippines, Puerto Rico, Russia, Sabah, Samoa, Serbia, Saint Maarten, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, United States

Strictly speaking, the only one that ticks the box in terms of being ICT colours (Red, Blue, Black & White) is South Korea, but I've included red/blue and red/white/blue combinations (and some have small amounts of other colours on badges/logos).

i feel we should build a stand and stick every flag in it 

Is this what having a SNP government has turned this country into - Folk that get deeply upset and offended by our Union Jack flag!

Its not the SNP that has transformed the union flag into a contentious item. Its use by NF, EDL, Rangers/Sevco, and the type of people that follow those groups, and their ideaology, that has made the flag,  to some, an  objectionable item at a football match. 

Maybe all the players were offended too - that's why they refused to take part in the game *rolleyes*

Never seen it at the game but I do think national flags for national games only. End off. If folks want flags they should be related to the club - logo, badge, player, this opinion relates to all matches and teams but thats just my opinion, not because it offends me but because soneone will always try look for hidden message and create an unnecessary fuss.

Is this what having a SNP government has turned this country into - Folk that get deeply upset and offended by our Union Jack flag!

Its not the SNP that has transformed the union flag into a contentious item. Its use by NF, EDL, Rangers/Sevco, and the type of people that follow those groups, and their ideaology, that has made the flag,  to some, an  objectionable item at a football match.

Salmond,Wimbledon,saltire,idiot,pot,kettle?

• Agree 1

Its not the SNP that has transformed the union flag into a contentious item. Its use by NF, EDL, Rangers/Sevco, and the type of people that follow those groups, and their ideaology, that has made the flag,  to some, an  objectionable item at a football match. Salmond,Wimbledon,saltire,idiot,pot,kettle?

Salmond, a Scot, supporting a Scot.  The UF is used, not exclusively,  by racists and bigots.  Can't remember the Saltire ever being used in that regard.  Except by the EDL wannbe's, SDL. But they are such an insignificant blot in society that most people don't even know they exist.

Maybe all the players were offended too - that's why they refused to take part in the game *rolleyes*

Never seen it at the game but I do think national flags for national games only. End off. If folks want flags they should be related to the club - logo, badge, player, this opinion relates to all matches and teams but thats just my opinion, not because it offends me but because soneone will always try look for hidden message and create an unnecessary fuss.

What football game is it acceptable to fly a union jack at then?

I have a saltire that is red white and blue, is that flag allowed? there is no writing on it? i know how easily that could offend someone.

What are/would be people's views on the flying of the following flags at football matches in Scotland?

Australia, Cambodia, Chile, Cook Islands, Costa Rica, Cuba, Croatia, Czech Republic, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Dominican Republic, Faroe Islands, Fiji, France, Iceland, Laos, Liberia, Lichtenstein, Luxembourg, Malaya, Malysia, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, North Korea, Norway, Panama, Paraguay, Philippines, Puerto Rico, Russia, Sabah, Samoa, Serbia, Saint Maarten, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, United States

Strictly speaking, the only one that ticks the box in terms of being ICT colours (Red, Blue, Black & White) is South Korea, but I've included red/blue and red/white/blue combinations (and some have small amounts of other colours on badges/logos).

No takers on this question then?

St. Johnstone played Inverness CT on Saturday. and this is the fans' forum to chew it over.

Despite the 4-0 reverse, there appears to be more appetite and more comments discussing an individual taking a flag to the game!

You would think the guy was dressed as Hitler with a swastika flag and giving it the Nazi salute while goose-stepping his way back from the burger van!

The Union Jack is the flag of this country, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. That is a fact until or unless there's a miraculous result next November.

Yes, Rangers have 'adopted' it as a reflection of their bigoted political ideal but they don't own it.

I'm all for freedom of speech and expression. Live and let live.

• Agree 3

Do people get as offended when you see the Union Jack flags waved at Wimbledon in support of Andy Murray or at a Royal wedding or to salute our fallen troops.

It seems to me the people that have a problem with the UJ are the one that are racist!

The british army fly that flag so do the courts that protect you and your family every minute of every day! guess your going to tar them with the same brush.

You don't have talk some nonsense You started this nonsense!

• Agree 1

The other clearly aggrieved gentleman had removed a flag without request and when asked what he was doing had stormed off like a petulant child up into the stand. I followed him and asked why he had stolen an item of property that did not belong to him.

I asked if he would like to move to the side of the stand and have a reasonable conversation out of the way of those around us which he refused to do.

I then asked to have our property returned as he had no right to take something belonging to another person, which he refused to do.  He then proceeded to rant about how offensive the 'union jack' is in Scotland

Was he a sort of "well made" lad with a double chin a smug grin and a saltire lapel badge by any chance?

Edited by mainstander