union jack at Perth game

Joe DiMaggio

I agree. Thread title is misleading and inflammatory as that now appears to relate to another incident of the past. Actual incident at the w/e has been clarified by one of those involved and if accurate (no reason to disbelieve) then should be enough for original poster to concur.

Close please as we are flagging with this one (pun fully intended) and it only sadly gives ammo to those outside of the club who twist these things to their own benefit.

My reply to the poll is YES.

Why?

Because I believe national flags belong to national competitions and not club level. If the arguement centres around the colours then why not take French flags or flags of any of the other nations who use the same colours? If folk want to have flags then whats wrong with the clubs own one?

I've heard the arguement of supporting a particular player but it doesn't wear with me. Its only ever Union flag or Red hand being displayed. Never George Cross or Irish Tricolour and I've yet to see a Norwegian flag.

Why?

Because I believe national flags belong to national competitions and not club level. If the arguement centres around the colours then why not take French flags or flags of any of the other nations who use the same colours? If folk want to have flags then whats wrong with the clubs own one?

I've heard the arguement of supporting a particular player but it doesn't wear with me. Its only ever Union flag or Red hand being displayed. Never George Cross or Irish Tricolour and I've yet to see a Norwegian flag.

I remember us having Canadian flags when we had Xausa and Hastings playing for us.

Flags are bits of cloth.  Nothing is offensive unless you allow yourself to be offended.  Just don't be offended.

• Agree 2

Why?

It's probably because he's a serving British soldier, and not Irish or Norwegian, that he is proud to have the British flag all over the world.  Really small-minded of people to assume that in his own country, it means he is racist, bigoted or that, somehow, despite Inverness scrawled over it, it means he is a Rangers supporter.

Says more about the posters that are offended than the soldier that carries it.  I don't agree with the overseas military adventures but I doff my cap to our military.  I find it offensive for the petty-minded to assume that makes me racist (with an Arabian wife) or Rangers (I was just accused on another thread of being a Celtic supporter).

Edited by starchief
  • Agree 1

Why?

There's been an ICT/Terry Butcher George's Cross, and there was an Irish tricolour at the Semi-Final last year, as well as the aforementioned people wearing Rooney and Hayes Eire kits in 2010, as well as a Romania flag when Marius Niculae was here.  If the problem is all "national flags" and even ones that have "INVERNESS" written across them, then what about ICT-related saltires such as the red and blue one that's at games from time to time and the blue one with "Thistle" written across it, which belonged to the fellow that died recently?  I don't see a similar outcry over those.

Also, the question in the poll is "Are you offended by it", not "do you think it should be there".  If people are offended by a piece of cloth with colours on it in such a design and is representative of the country we are in (whether you like it or not) and has the name of our town written across it, then these people really are quite sad and rather pathetic.

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 1

Scotty, whilst in no way challenging the final decision of the moderators as to what goes where, I would suggest that individual posters should be entitled to express in open forum the point of view that a thread has been started in the wrong place. This is especially the case if, by the raising of the issue, those who might not have realised one are invited to consider the possibility of an ulterior motive within the thread in question.

As far as I am aware the OP has not posted extensively if at all on the Independence thread, so to attribute to him an "ulterior motive" smacks of paranoia.

Scotty, whilst in no way challenging the final decision of the moderators as to what goes where, I would suggest that individual posters should be entitled to express in open forum the point of view that a thread has been started in the wrong place. This is especially the case if, by the raising of the issue, those who might not have realised one are invited to consider the possibility of an ulterior motive within the thread in question.

As far as I am aware the OP has not posted extensively if at all on the Independence thread, so to attribute to him an "ulterior motive" smacks of paranoia.

In which case it's a pity he missed out on this opportunity to catch up on lost ground. :smile:

I am not saying that this should not be debated but this is NOT about ICT (IMHO), it is about the interpretation of bigotry and sectarianism in Scottish Football. I don't give a feck where it sits and I certainly would not even consider moderating - feck me. AND this is not a thread about a British soldier unfurling a Union Jack - it is the beliefs of the individuals, mainly of those who view anybody setting up a Union Jack at an ICT game as being derisory and inflammatory. If the soldier then started singing "The Sash" or had added EDL or FTP etc. on the flag then I would have probably burned the flag maself - that was NOT the feckin case.

I am the first to admit that I wore the IRA scarves and I sang the bile in the Jungle - mainly becos I wanted to be one of the Bhoys and never really understood the history and the shame being brought to Scottish football. Flags never really bothered me - other than the religious and secretarian offers. Caley were initially named "The Rangers of the North" because of our grip on Highland football, our large following, our arrogance and our colours. We were a mix of mainly Cellic and Rangers supporters. The Union Jack was our colours and was Caley to me - not Rangers.

If the soldier wants to unfurl the flag again I will proudly stand beside him:

help-our-heroes_design.png

Hang on - cancel that last bit - the feckin thing is red and black

I am not saying that this should not be debated but this is NOT about ICT (IMHO), it is about the interpretation of bigotry and sectarianism in Scottish Football. I don't give a feck where it sits and I certainly would not even consider moderating - feck me. AND this is not a thread about a British soldier unfurling a Union Jack - it is the beliefs of the individuals, mainly of those who view anybody setting up a Union Jack at an ICT game as being derisory and inflammatory. If the soldier then started singing "The Sash" or had added EDL or FTP etc. on the flag then I would have probably burned the flag maself - that was NOT the feckin case.

I am the first to admit that I wore the IRA scarves and I sang the bile in the Jungle - mainly becos I wanted to be one of the Bhoys and never really understood the history and the shame being brought to Scottish football. Flags never really bothered me - other than the religious and secretarian offers. Caley were initially named "The Rangers of the North" because of our grip on Highland football, our large following, our arrogance and our colours. We were a mix of mainly Cellic and Rangers supporters. The Union Jack was our colours and was Caley to me - not Rangers.

If the soldier wants to unfurl the flag again I will proudly stand beside him:

help-our-heroes_design.png

Hang on - cancel that last bit - the feckin thing is red and black

Caley's colours were blue and white FFS.

Just wanted to point out there is no middle ground in the poll.

I'm in no way 'offended' by the flag but really dislike it being used by our fans.Would be nice if folk could respect other peoples right to their opinions on it though.

If you are fine with the flag and don't overly care about the conclusions most Scottish fans will take from it, then fair do's. 

I personally don't like the idea of that flag being associated with my club (especially if it also infers some association with "our troops") but that again is just my opinion.

I hope that as a few of our fellow fans have now shown themselves to be uncomfortable with the flag, it will no longer be at the games representing us as a group, but that's up to the guy with the flag...

Looks like it was purely co incidental on this occasion but the timing of this flag being unfurled amongst our support while the SDL are having a demo/rally or whatever they call it a few miles up the road in Dundee certainly does us no favours

We have enough fans already who freely admit they supported the Orcs in the past or still at present without attracting some of these lunatics

Now the union flag does not cause me any offence whatsoever but unfortunately over the last few decades it does seem to have been hijacked by your far right groups like the SDL, The National Front and the BNP

When these groups see this amongst our support its inevitable some may try and latch on so my advice would be to keep it well away

Why some of our fans albeit a small minority seem to revel in Orc behaviour is beyond me but if we are not careful we will be branded the Rangers of the North and we most certainly don't want that offensive tag

Dougal

The SDL had Scottish flags.  I'm sure they've had Israeli and Sikh flags at marches before, for some reason.  Loyalist murals and marches in Norther Ireland have also flown Saltires for many years, get them banned. 

Get them banned, I'm offended out of my tiny little mind.

Edited by ictchris

I feel lousy, have a splitting headache and its getting worse after reading all this. 

A couple of years ago I wanted to raise funds to buy an ICT flag, so it could be a flag for the fans. There was only one other poster who was happy to contribute.

I think there are a lot of people who like to voice their opinions but when it comes to actually forking out a tenner to have their OWN FLAG, of which they can say they contributed to, they disappear quicker than the mist on Loch Ness   and by the way if any of those tight gits could possibly part with a tenner, then perhaps they may like to joint sponsor our current left back instead. In the post called Player Sponsorship.

People moan far too much about conditions at work, In my job I don't have to worry about wether the road is going to blow up and incinerate the vehicle Im in, Is a sniper going to kill me or one of my pals, will I be killed today by mortar, will I finish work with all my limbs intact. Will I see my childs smile again. They all do the tour now and its more than once.

Keep it real and keep things in perspective.