Inverness C.T. -V- Partick Th

Scotty

Theres more to the game than working your socks off how about actually trying to go past the fullback instead of constantly checking inside ,tracking back when you dont have the ball and delivering a better ball from set plays more often than not

You stated that we have players who start week in week out and deliver nothing! Name names please as I haven't a clue who you are describing?

Now I've had a coffee and calmed doon a bit, I can give my thoughts:

Thought Greenhalgh was poor, did not show any skills that could really help us, just a squad player - no more, thought Billy Mac was pretty poor, or was his supply non existent?  

There did not seem to much on our left wing between Shinnie/Shytehalgh  never saw Shinnie get up the park once during the game, so our efforts to get men behind the defence and fire balls across to BM were few and far between.

What the F was going on for our 3 free kicks at the edge of the box first half?  PATHETIC is the only word I can use to describe our attempts from a decent distance out, for these guys not to even hit the target from 25 yds is a real shock - do they actually practice dead ball shooting??

Suppose we didn't really deserve 3 points but the truly inept officials did their best to feck up out chances anyway.

Hope Watkins starts on Friday because his strength and running will surely be needed.

Putting the appalling performance by the officials today aside for a moment, IMO there's a few things we could learn from Partick today.

1. Slickness in Attack - When Partick went forward there seemed to options all over the pace and they attacked with a driving pace, as well as getting the full-backs (particularly O'Donnell) into dangerous positions.  We seemed to keen to attempt to pass the ball into the net, especially in the first half. 
  2. Pressuring the man in possession - We seemed too keen to try and intercept the ball, while they were very good at getting into our faces.  We need to stop being so nicey nicey and play dirty once in a while.
  3. Possession - We seemed fine with the ball at the back, but seemed quite keen to launch it long for Mckay to chase.  They seemed able to keep the ball on the deck throughout and attacking with it.  We should be doing that too.
Edited by Renegade

Average display cost us the game. I thought Raven wasn't his usual maurading self today, perhaps still feeling the injury? Saw nothing at all from Greenhaugh, can't tackle or chase back effectively. He did manage 3 decent crosses.

Watkins looked good. Doran poor again. Our midfield was run over time and time again.

Butcher has made an error in not leaving Ross out wide and making just one replacement for Vincent . Should just be a straight swop Polworth for Vincent.

Still second, mustn't get beat on Friday or next Tuesday. Believe.

Should just be a straight swop Polworth for Vincent.

That's what he did against St Johnstone.  He was like a headless chicken that day and seems to be more suited to a more defensive role.

Personally, I thought Greenhalgh was okay, but Watkins is better for now.  Wonder Greenhalgh would be better as more of an impact type of player to bring on in the second half.

Scored 3 goals. Should have won. Even if one had counted, Partick would have had to chase the game, leaving more space.

I do wish Adgestine (spelling?) had come on for a 4 4 2. Think that could have done something. Nevertheless, scored 3 good goals against one Partick and an error I dont expect to see again. No need to panic. The fortress should still be standing.

• Agree 1

Wasn't at the game but watched on tv. I thought we played very well. We created a number of chances and put three in the net. Brill made one error but I wouldn't blame that on the loss. I believe that had we gone in at half time 1-1 we'd have one the game. The officials were shocking. Fox is an out and out cheat and I hope Archibald is sick with embarrassment for the rest of the season after watching the video. I counted four times where Fox sat on his arse at corners without contact. We see this sort of cheating with outfield players on a regular basis but when a keeper starts to do it, and gets away with it, then the game becomes a farce. I also hope the officials are embarrassed when they watch it again.

IMO we played very well and did not deserve to lose but sh!t happens.

Average display cost us the game. I thought Raven wasn't his usual maurading self today, perhaps still feeling the injury? Saw nothing at all from Greenhaugh, can't tackle or chase back effectively. He did manage 3 decent crosses.

Watkins looked good. Doran poor again. Our midfield was run over time and time again.

Butcher has made an error in not leaving Ross out wide and making just one replacement for Vincent . Should just be a straight swop Polworth for Vincent.

Still second, mustn't get beat on Friday or next Tuesday. Believe.

Shows how different TV can be. Doran was my MotM and I thought Greenhaulgh had a very good game.

Greenhaulgh showed he can turn a player and some of his crosses were very decent, wouldn't say to much against him considering it was his first start, and its a fair jump between under 20's and 5 - 10 mins at the end of a game. One thought though, he did seem to get out muscled when in a tangle with the defenders, but if he got room the crosses were dangerous.

On chances created and balance of play, still dont know how we lost, even with the ref and linesmen having a mare. Plastic Whistle played some decent footie, but so did we. Doran's dink for Greenhaugh was class, so was the trick corner, but Jesus when you see the Fox fouls they are just so pathetic, and how the ref didn't spot what was going on I dont know. Something should be done about simulation to try and stop it, and although its all about diving in the box and round the box, I didn't ever expect it to be because of a keeper diving.

We will recover, and this gives Tel his team talk for Friday. Injustice, determination and correcting a wrong. By the way who is the ref on Friday!!!!!!!

Watched on TV.  I thought we were better going forward in the first half but our defending wasn't great in either.  For the first Partick goal we gave them too much room from start to finish during the move, it was good play though.  We did pretty well after the goal, although I thought Partick looked dangerous.  From what I can see the corner goal should've stood, it's pretty annoying to get a decision like that against you.  However, in the linesman's defence I doubt he's had a scenario like that before in his career, it's a difficult one.  As I understand it the ball doesn't have to leave the quadrant so was in play. 

I felt pretty confident when we scored the goal straight away in the second half (and it was a great ball from Doran and header from Warren) but we didn't seem to offer as much going forward and I thought Partick responded to the goal stronger.  We had to defend well to prevent them breaking through on several occasions.  Doran had been at the heart of most of the good work we'd done going forward in the first half but he faded out in the second half.  Greenhalgh and Ross were anonymous in the second half, Watkins will have done himself a big case for inclusion next week with his display after the break.

The winning goal is just one of those things, Brill has been good since he came in.  Disappointing performance really, there are difficulties with the '3' I think.

TBF to Euan Norris he did have a mare but the corner controversy was none of his doing. He was jogging back tot he centre circle with the players to restart and then went over to the linesman. The linesman had a right stinker and really is it possible he could have seen foxes antics right along the line is Norris couldn't. I don't think any ref in Scotland is any good especially Willie Collum but i do feel a little sympathy now the dust has settled over disallowed goal 2. I think ref's are a victim of the nanny culture that has crept into the modern game over goalkeeper protection. I don't think Norris should be all to blame as Fox clearly was trying to take advantage of the culture to con the referee and try and blunt one of our biggest strengths which is our height and physical muscle from set pieces. Its fine to be angry at officials as if they worth anything then they would get most decisions right and they clearly don't but Fox should be made an example of, he wont but I don't see any difference in a player running into the box and falling over conning the ref into a penalty than what fox was doing yesterday. And just a little comment about our full backs I think someone mentioned both our full backs didn't get as high up the pitch as we are used to but I think they sat deeper due to the fact Partick play very attacking full backs and we had to combat them and beware of there pace on the break.

Defo there you happy with the performance today then

Not the best home performance of the season but did enough to win the game in my opinion. Thought everyone put in a good shift and on another day we would have won. Don't think there was anyone not trying or put is a really bad performance though and certainly not intentionally.

I thought that overall we played some ok football but not as good as we have previously this season, PT came with a plan of sitting in and defending and hitting on the break and credit to them, they stuck to it and it worked. Overall I don't think we have solved the Vincent absence - I thought Greenhalgh had a decent game and looks a tricky player, but too often him, Doran & Ross were too keen to move inside or pass back than take the ball down the line and push forwards.

We looked better at the back with Raven than against St J, Watkins could be a good player but I'm not sure Ross is best suited to playing the role in behind Billy.

The refereeing was awful and the PT keeper had way too much protection, I hope we don't get any more games where we are so badly screwed by incompetence. Brill made an error but IMO he has done enough in previous games to show what he is worth to the team and I hope he keeps the #1 jersey.

Onwards to Dungwall - we need to get the balance of the team right so I think we need to start with Toby just behind Billy as or even play Devine in midfield. Friday night won't be prety football so we need players that can show they are strong and can battle. Looks like we wont get any help from the officials to win the league since we arent from Glasgow, so better get used to doing it the hard way lol.

Firstly that whole 'outside the spirit of law' argument from that Sky Sports piece is a joke. Its a competitive game and the whole point of a competitive game is to try and do things to get an advantage over the opposition. It was a very, very clever move and if we hadn't of scored off it, I think its safe to say play would have just been allowed to continue. If the linesman/referee wasn't happy they should have stopped play immediately. They didn't, thus, they both clearly thought it was alright. We score, linesman then changes his mind thinking its unfair/or something which we will never find out because our officials never have to explain themselves. The other thing is we didn't even gain that much from it, the ball was still crossed into the box as would be expected from a corner and we scored off the second phase. Partick had two chances to clear the ball and not one player on the pitch stopped playing.

Looking closely at the rules, the goal must have been chopped off because the linesman said Draper touched the ball twice (He clearly doesn't) before another player as that is the only infringement (other than handball) which results in an indirect free kick to the opposition. Any other infringement results in a retaken corner.

Oh and Scott Fox should be ashamed of himself, continually just parking himself on the deck and in the process hauling other players down at corners. We were clearly targeting the fact he is a bit flappy when it comes to crosses as the majority of our corners were pinged in right above him.

Edited by ubern
  • Agree 1

When are we going to get an announcement from SFA or SPFL regarding the integrity of the match officials, and more specifically the assistant referee? Surely their conduct is worthy of an investigation, as yet again the long suffering fans are being 'cheated' by their conspiracy and lies. There was nothing wrong with the corner In the eyes of the officials for a clear 15 seconds, a total joke.

If this was to happen to anyone in the central belt, this would be a huge issue by now.

Indeed. If it had been a Celtic goal disallowed against AC Milan after a clever corner routine. Scott Brown played the ball in the corner, Stokes took the corner to 'himsrlf' and Commons cracked it home. Legitimate goal chalked off - we'd be in the midst of a full inquest! 

• Agree 2

Haven't read the whole thread but what a terrific effort by Greenhalgh hitting the post from a difficult situation. nobody seems to have mentioned it.

Had that gone in the net then Partick would never have got over it and we would have had a comfortable win.

Bad luck Greenman your inclusion in the team for that effort alone was justified.,.Better luck next time!

• Agree 1

I was speaking to an ex polish referee today and he says the move was totally legitimate, its quite common on the continent, he said you just have to have your eyes open to the teams who are most likely to do it, the biggest problem is players pretending to kick it when they haven't.

Draper  kicked the ball in front of the linesman and told the linesman that he took it. Its just a pity the players know more about the rules than the officials