Inverness C.T. -V- Partick Th

Scotty

Partick Thistle's 2-1 victory over Inverness Caledonian Thistle will live long in the memory for one controversial incident on the stroke of half-time.

With Alan Archibald's men leading 1-0, Ross Draper and Aaron Doran combined with a corner routine that saw the Irish midfielder dribble the ball before firing the ball past Scott Fox.

However after consultation between referee Euan Norris and linesman Stuart Stevenson, the goal was ruled out.

Law 17 covering corner kicks, states: "The ball must be placed inside the corner arc and is in play when it is kicked, therefore the ball does not need to leave the corner arc to be in play.

"If the kicker touches the ball a second time before it has touched another player, an indirect free-kick is awarded to the opposing team in the position where the second touch occurred."

Scott McClymont and Thom Watt discuss the incident.

Let us know what you think @STVSport using #thebigcall

It was innovative, enterprising and extremely well thought out but summat that I have never witnessed before. And that is the problem. How many peeple actually understood what had happened at the time or saw it immediately. I certainly didn't and thought that Doran had lost his senses. I even had to watch the replay twice and closely and the Draper touch barely moved the ball - but why the linesman didn't flag straight away - he was probably as bamboozled too.

Bottom line is that it was too clever. The main problem and we have been here before is that our system has become too predictable and the other teams are sussing it. Sunday was crying out fer Plan B

• Agree 1

Well if the Referee and the assistant Referee were bamboozled by the laws of the game then :-

(A) they should not have not been in charge of the game

(B) they should now be excluded from controlling any other matches until such time as they have re-sat a full examination on refereeing football matches. 

© the match should be declared void

Because of their inept behaviour, tantamount to being not fit for purpose, the match should now be replayed with competent officials in charge.

• Agree 1

(B) they should now be excluded from controlling any other matches until such time as they have re-sat a full examination on refereeing football matches. 

You know what the examination looks like in reality? A fitness test and answering 25 questions on the rules with 80% correct answers. At least that's how it was when I was still a referee in 2006 in Austria. When I started in Germany in 1987, to become a new ref you needed to answer 16 out of 20 questions and correctly write a match report including a red-card incident.

• Agree 1