County game

ictchris

We aren't exactly in amazing form going into this.  What do you think the starting line up should be?

I think we have a few problems with the '3' in our 4-2-3-1.  You need a great ball player like Andy Shinnie in the middle or failing that a dynamic player who can make things happen, make runs, have a shot and we don't really have either.  The game yesterday we seemed to have three wingers in the '3' and it didn't work that well, especially in the second half.  Greenhalgh didn't impress me, he did well when he hit the post but didn't contribute much else.  Doran was good, he is shooting more this season, hopefully trying to replace Shinnie as a regular goalscorer and hsi deliver from set pieces is excellent.  Nick Ross seems to just be Nick Ross - solid 6/10 doesn't do much wrong but doesn't actually influence the game that much or make much happen. 

In terms of changing the players in the '3' there are a couple of options.  Liam Polworth could come in and play centrally, which we tried in Perth and wasn't a great success.  We could bring in Marley Watkins who showed some good touches when he came on for a cameo yesterday.  Polworth lacks experience and we saw in the last derby what happened to Conor Pepper but he offers more of a presence physically and can hold the forward line together.  Watkins looks dangerous but is coming back from injury and would still leave us with three wingers.  I'd be inclined to put Watkins in for Greenhalgh but I could see Butcher sticking with the same XI as yesterday.  Maybe Watkins is best from the bench.

As for the rest of the side, I think it picks itself, assuming we have no injury worries.  Our back four didn't do as well as we have been used to this season yesterday but the four of them are pretty obviously the best we have.  Draper and Foran will be the key men if we are going to get a result in Dingwall, we succeeded last season against County by dominating midfield and we need both the players in there to play the way they did earlier in the campaign - breaking up play, using the ball well and coming out top in the physical battles.  County have Kettlewell, Brittain and Quinn in a central area meaning that this is probably their strongest area on the pitch, despite losing Lawson and Vigurs in close season.  I wouldn't think about dropping Brill, the mistake for the goal is just one of those things that happens, he's been solid and consistent for the rest of this season.  Also, McKay is the only choice up front.

Looking forward to going to Dingwall, confirmed that I've got a ticket today.  I was there for the 3-3 cup game, a great atmosphere from our fans during the game on the train home.  Anyone thinking of taking any flares etc (the nautical fireworks not the cutting edge of Dingwall fashion) might want to think twice as I imagine the police will be cracking down heavily on it after them getting lobbed about last season and the linesman getting hit by a smokebomb in the Spurs-Villa game.  I wonder if we'll be getting filmed by cops from the wendy house again :lol:

• Agree 1

The fact of the matter is, Ross County have what must be the narrowest pitch in Scotland.  Playing with two out and out wingers, is totally pointless.  Players like Greenhalgh, Doran etc. need space to run into and they won't get much of that on Friday.

From what I gather, if there's two things don't handle well this season, it's height and pace up-front.  For this reason, I'd scrap the 4-2-3-1 for this game and go with an out and out 4-3-3.  The three in the middle should be good enough to deal with what County have out there.

With this in mind, I'd go with this - 

Brill

Raven Warren Meekings Shinnie

Draper Ross Foran

Doran Agdestein Mckay

Subs - Esson, Devine, Tremarco, Greenhalgh, Watkins, Williams, Polworth

Get Agdestein there up against Boyd with Doran and Mckay either side.  Having three out-and out strikers on the field as well means constant pressure on the County backline and would mean that Kocavevic wouldn't be able to make his regular runs forward (a key attacking threat they pose) and if he does means that space would open up the could be exploited, which Doran could use to his advantage.

None of this stand-off nonsense, get in their faces, take the game to them and put them under pressure.  That's how to beat this Dingwall mob.

Brill

Raven Warren Meekings Shinnie

Draper Foran

Doran Ross ????

Mckay

Think the only position that is in doubt is left wing. Think we have many players that can play in that position. Greenhalgh did really well against Hibs but didnt think he was as impressive against Partick. There is also Watkins who did very well when he came on and did himself no harm whatsoever. There is Williams who hasnt really featured at all in the first team but i have seen him for the under 20s and he looks very impressive. Another man who has actually been the under 20s best player is Ryan Christie, yes he lacks experience but he a good enough player to play in behind Mckay, therefore moving nick ross out to left wing. If Dundee United play Ryan Gauld and Aberdeen play Cammy Smith there then I dont see why Christie cant be given a go. Plenty of options. The rest of the team picks itself in my opinion.

Brill

Raven   Warren  Meekings Shinnie

Draper      Devine    

Doran        Foran          Ross      

McKay

devine?? possibly our worst player!

Although not the most cultured, Devine has plenty of commitment. It's not a helpful tag to label anyone our 'worst' player.

Devine has at least made the starting line-up and a few sub appearances.

Curtis Allen, meanwhile, hasn't yet made a squad and appears to be struggling to adapt to full-time football. If things don't improve he may well get shipped out in the New Year. Daniel Devine certainly won't be!

Although not the most cultured, Devine has plenty of commitment. It's not a helpful tag to label anyone our 'worst' player.

Devine has at least made the starting line-up and a few sub appearances.

Curtis Allen, meanwhile, hasn't yet made a squad and appears to be struggling to adapt to full-time football. If things don't improve he may well get shipped out in the New Year. Daniel Devine certainly won't be!

Curtis got injured in pre-season and that was his first game for the under 20s tonight. His record in Ireland is amazing but its a step up to the SPFL I suppose.