Bouncebackability?

Yngwie

One interesting thing about last night's result is that it is the first time this season that we have conceded the first goal but managed to avoid defeat. Had it not been for Ciftci's stupid red card I suspect that pattern may well have continued, but we'll never know.

First goal has previously seemed to very much determine what happens in our games this season : in all 7 of our previous wins, we scored first, whilst in all 3 of our defeats we conceded first. I know scoring first obviously gives you a greater chance of winning the game, but there seems to be an unusual lack of comebacks in our games these days.

I was struggling to remember when we previously won a game after conceding first, and (assuming I haven't overlooked any) I had to go back surprisingly far, 22 months, to the cup replay at Dunfermline, where again we drew the 90 mins and needed extra time.

The last one within 90 minutes was a full 2 years ago, the remarkable 6-3 at Killie.

This is all a bit surprising, as most of us would traditionally associate ICT with a never say die attitude and famous comebacks.

• Agree 2

A few stand-out games - away to the accies after Imrie had scored before half time and Ayr years ago when we were 3 down at half time and came back to win it 4-3. The match v Raith in season 09-10 springs to mind too.

Edited by TopSix

• 4 months later...

This thread by Yngwie refers to our ability to 'come back' in games after conceding. But after yesterday's result, how do we generally 'bounce back' from hammerings?

We don't get turned-over easily, very often - but when it does happen, we have incredible resilience...

Going all the way back to the 6-0 drubbing from Airdrie in 2001, our response to a heavy defeat has always been positive - indeed, we've often then gone on a great run!

The only time, in this sequence, we've not responded positively was this season, when we lost 4-0 at Perth and then lost the subsequent game - but even that didn't stop another sequence of great form immediately after!

Airdrie 6-0 Inverness

Followed by : D W D W W

Inverness 1-5 Ross County

W W W D W

Celtic 5-0 Inverness

W W W D

Rangers 5-0 Inverness

W D

Falkirk 4-0 Inverness

W

Celtic 6-0 Inverness

W W D W D

Inverness 1-5 Motherwell

W W D W W D W D D W D

St. Johnstone 4-0 Inverness

L D W W W W D W

• Agree 4

A bit test of Hughes's management skills. A wee bit pessimistic myself.

Think 6 points out of 9 makes this a decent week for us no?

Ask me that question again after the next three games.

Kingsmills I'm obviously a half full glass kinda girl whilst you're a glass half empty guy ha ha? Top 6 almost confirmed and agreed a big couple of weeks to come. Bring it on!

• Agree 1

Im delighted someone brought up the bouncebackability cos I was sitting thinking about this last night. Im hoping the pattern continues. 

Kingsmills I'm obviously a half full glass kinda girl whilst you're a glass half empty guy ha ha? Top 6 almost confirmed and agreed a big couple of weeks to come. Bring it on!

I think we'll be top six net year. Can't see it happening this season, IMHO.

I think we'll be top six net year. Can't see it happening this season, IMHO.

I think you may be proved wrong.

• Agree 3

We should definitely be setting the target of Top Six for this season and forgetting previous poster names. If we are going to succeed in the cups then we have to build up confidence in the league. If we play our last cup game on 16/03 we can fully concentrate on the league.

• Agree 1

Hibs are the only bottom 6 team who can catch us. If we beat them next week we only need 1 more point, or them not to win any game to guarantee top 6.

Given Hibs form since judas and iscariot jumped ship, I will be very disappointed if we don't finish above them.

Hibs are the only bottom 6 team who can catch us. If we beat them next week we only need 1 more point, or them not to win any game to guarantee top 6.

Given Hibs form since judas and iscariot jumped ship, I will be very disappointed if we don't finish above them.

Hibs play Motherwell in the league on Saturday so, unless they win that game, a win for us next Tuesday would guarantee a top six finish.

A really big week coming up which will define our season - cup QF, possible top six guarantee and cup final!

Bring it on. I hope that, win lose or draw, the team do themselves justice in these games.

• Agree 1

Hibs are poor this seasom and won't catch us in a month of Sundays. Much happier after the two wins before the Celtic game, we were sliding a bit which was concerning but those two wins have guaranteed top 6 for me. Winning is a habit and, Celtic game aside, the players look like they have found it again just in time.

Not quite girl. We need 4 wins and a draw to be sure of that.

Not quite girl. We need 4 wins and a draw to be sure of that.

If we win against Hibs, we need one more point to guarantee top six.

Edited by ilpadrino