Butcher offski?

Pele_Is_God

Narcissism is a term commonly used to describe those who seemed more concerned with themselves than with others. It is important to distinguish between those who have narcissistic personality traits and those suffering from narcissistic personality disorder. Those with narcissistic personalities are often seen as arrogant, confident, and self-centered, but they do not have the exaggerated or grandiose view of their own abilities that characterizes narcissistic personality disorder.

•A constant need for attention, affirmation and praise.

•A belief that he or she is unique or "special" and should only associate with other people of the same status.

•Persistent fantasies about attaining success and power.

•A sense of entitlement and expectation of special treatment.

I think TB is off, as long as he doesn't take Marsella we should continue to get bargains from the basement of the English leagues, the club should try their utmost to keep Marsella at ICT, I think he is more important than who replaces TB. Can anyone remember a masterstroke by TB that changed a game? I can't. 

That said, my comments are not intended to rubbish his contribution just because he's leaving rather, to draw attention to the person who has introduced some excellent players (by Scottish standards) which we would not otherwise have. I would have Robbo back with Marsella as Asst Manager/goalkeeping coach/scout. Add his current salary to that of Maurice Malpas and you have no increase in wage bill but retain an important member of the team. In most instances it's players who win games, not managers.

I think Butcher has to make a decision that I best for him and of course like any other fan we want him to stay I believe that is the best option. Take out the club and lifestyle and it is now up to him as to what will give him the greatest satisfaction in the job. He has option 1 stay and lead us to cup success, get us into Europe or both. Option 2 is to go to a club that has underachieved and been devoid of success for many years yet could he be the man to turn it all round where others some very big names have failed. The other issue is the backroom staff. Terry has been a great servant to the club and has it to thank in raising his profile back up since his success at Motherwell but we also have Terry to thank in the same regard that has raised the profile of a club and area which has notoriously stuck to its roots when hiring managers and playing staff as most dont want to come here. That being said i don think Terry is the best manager in the country far from it. I dont think we would be where we are today if Butcher was the sole man in in charge. It is a team with Steve massella  finding all these talented players to Maurice Malpas being an excellent coach. If Butcher can have them both then I see it happening but in the case of Barnsley if one or even both cannot be sorted then he wont. I think Butcher will leave us sooner rather than later as i think he will want that one big challenge at a higher profile club. If he does go then I will be sad but we will go on and yes this is butcher's team but if a new man comes in like Robertson as has been mentioned he has seen us play and knows how most of the players work. So that will be a much smoother transition but it is all ifs and buts until things are made clear

When I'm not playing croquet with my son Rupert and daughter Prudence, yes!

As I said before though, if Butcher's not interested and is not going to take the job, why doesn't he come out and say it now?  Remember what happened with Barnsley - a big huge saga and we were all elated when he turned them down.  Then the reality set in that he might not be here forever and form took a sudden nosedive.  When he was linked with Swindon, he came out and said 'no' almost instantly, now he's saying 'We'll see what happens'.  Doesn't sound encouraging to me.

John Robertson claims that Butcher spoke to Hibs the last time, while I've also heard rumblings that he applied for Motherwell job the last time it came up and was interested in the Aberdeen job as well (though Malpas wasn't).  He said after the Barnsley incident that he'd at least see out his contract here, and I for one, hopes he keeps his word.  But while he has the right to leave should he wish, to leave this club and decimate it, by taking key players with him, and turning what could be our best ever season into possibly one of the worst, would be a very bitter pill to swallow.

• Agree 1

I think this topic can safely be moved from the rumour mill. This is sickeningly all too real. The 'We'll see what happens' line speaks volumes!

I understand Terry was scheduled to be part of BTSports panel for the Motherwell v. Hibs game yesterday....but withdrew at short notice. It seems some bookies have closed their books on the Hibs job - sadly, this really looks a formality now.

Hibs fans I've spoken to are keen to get him. However, they're looking for him to change the club around completely and start winning trophies ASAP. Personally, if I were in his position, there's no way I'd leave a job that you're essentially unsackable from to join a club where many factors are outside your control.

Have followed this forum for a while, but haven't felt the need to contribute.....until now!

It looks like Hibs have approached TB now (they clearly hadn't when he gave his interview on Saturday), so the game has changed - the ball is now in Terry and ICT's court. Frankly, I think he'd be crazy to go to Hibs - a poisoned chalice where immediate success would be an expectation from a below average group of players. Turning around that particular supertanker will take a few seasons - I don't think that kind of time will be made available. TB will also insist on taking his backroom staff - hopefully one or more of them will not be interested in the move! Middlesborough might be a bigger draw for him/them?

My biggest concerns would be (a) a dip in form that would impact on our finish to this season and (b) Terry coming in to raid our squad of the best players to bring Hibs up to scratch. This is the price of success for a small club!

Come on Terry - you know what's good for you and it's right here!

• Agree 1

Moving to Hibs who have a trigger happy chairman and impatient fans would be a disasterous move. Nobody gets time in that job and instant results are expected, currently that Hibs squad does not have the calibre of player to work in a TB system and I doubt he would be given more than 1 - 2 years before being sacked prior to an AGM.

If he did decide to leave, I think the situation is similar to last season where we have a cup semi and doing well in the league - TB and his team I'm sure are aware that this year they could make a major final and also qualify the club for Europe - thus raising his stock and reputation further. On achieving either of those he will have taken ICT to a level which would struggle to be repeated and at that point I would expect him to leave at the ultimate high point.

If Hibs do however want him and TB/MM want to go there, then I hope the board demand top level compensation and dont allow our clubs most important assets to leave on the cheap.

• Agree 2

Since first becoming a manager 23 years ago, do you know what Terry has won? Nothing, except the Div 1 title with ICT. Likewise for Mo.

He now has a serious chance of winning a national cup with ICT (Hibs are out, Terry) and you'd hope that winning a trophy like this would be a greater motivation for him than earning a bit more money which he doesn't actually need.

Since first becoming a manager 23 years ago, do you know what Terry has won? Nothing, except the Div 1 title with ICT. Likewise for Mo.

He now has a serious chance of winning a national cup with ICT (Hibs are out, Terry) and you'd hope that winning a trophy like this would be a greater motivation for him than earning a bit more money which he doesn't actually need.

TB wouldn't go for the money, he proved that by rejecting Barnsley.

• Agree 1

Rod Petrie cold be the fly in the Hibs ointment --but exactly how I don't know. However he was controversial in the past so....?

The other side of the coin is,however, that he seemed to support Fenlon all the way so?

And Hibs ran Hearts ragged in the first half of the League Cup a few days ago so it could be that they have excellent players but Fenlon was just not the ruthlsss S.O.B. that, say, Alex Ferguson, was.

There's a thought! Ferguson to Easter Road. Retirement is not all it's cracked up to be with bo0redom and inactivity having its effect . O.K Time to get back on the bike now so "Cheers".

Views?

latest news...................Ferguson and Butcher in talks to see who takes which job!

• Agree 1

Hypothetically, how much compensation would we get if Terry went?

I suppose it depends if there's a clause in his contract specifying a release fee.

But seeing as he only has 6 months left on his contract, I'd imagine you're only talking tens of thousands.

Hibs can cover that using the money they got from us playing our last semi-final at Easter Rd, and if we play our next one there as well they can use that money to entice half our players too!

Hypothetically, how much compensation would we get if Terry went?

I suppose it depends if there's a clause in his contract specifying a release fee.

But seeing as he only has 6 months left on his contract, I'd imagine you're only talking tens of thousands.

Hibs can cover that using the money they got from us playing our last semi-final at Easter Rd, and if we play our next one there as well they can use that money to entice half our players too!

Ah right, seems feasible why they are making an approach. If they get Butcher, Malpas, Marsella and Foran (pre contract) that would be a nice little earner for them - Horrifying for us at the same time.

If Terry turns down the opportunity to manage a team in the Championship but accepts Hibs instead, he needs his head examined.

Terry's not that much younger than me and I'm retired :lol:

Is it about quality of life or is he still up for a challenge? Some Championship clubs are in some pretty shytey locations.

If he went to Hibs he could get a nice place in East Lothian within 15 mins drive of the training academy and still spend half the week at Abriachan.

Edited by TheMantis

Hibs are not going to get a big amount from renting out their stadium. Maybe 50k a time that will go into Petrie's pocket. I dont think Terry will go to ER. He'll have spoken to others and will know that Petrie isn't the man to work for. He doesn't give managers a chance. He sells of good players but doesn't buy in suitable replacements. Petrie see's players as a commodity to fund his own lifestyle. Since taking over as chairman he's managed to get through six managers. He raised around £12 million from the sale of players yet failed to put anything into the playing budget. Instead he expects his coaches to bring more youngsters through the academy to be sold off. The guys an accountant and wants to bring cash in but not spend.

If he goes to Hibs then it can only be for the money .....

He has a job to do here, one that he has proclaimed unfinished on numerous occasions. Going to another SPFL club, a club that has routinely performed below Caley Thistle in recent seasons, but which does have the potential to (again) be one of the big boys does not present the same challenge IMHO ... and comes with a lot more pitfalls.

At least 3 ICT managers have moved with the lure of a 'bigger' club and more money but found the grass was not greener ..... look up Steve Paterson, John Robertson, or Craig Brewster's (1st time around) post ICT managerial careers as reference ... or he could look up his own career post-Motherwell until he landed at the TCS. Does he really want to give up being King in his own Castle who pretty much has a job for life on his own terms and revert to being just another temporary solution until things go a little sour? I think (and hope) he has more sense than that.

I could understand the pull of the Championship or the Premiership (if offered), but another SPFL club ... not so much.

Do the right thing Terry. Stay at ICT and cement your status as a club legend by guiding us to our highest ever finish (again), Europe, and a national Cup.

• Agree 4