Butcher offski?

Pele_Is_God

I think he'll be away in the summer, Realistically we aren't going to be able to keep this up and he must know himself that its getting to that time where he's taken us as far as we're gonna get.  For a few years at least anyway.  Soon as another decent Championship job comes up i think he'll take it.

Butcher was quick to dismiss getting the Swindon Town job, not long after the Barnsley saga, despite being linked with it and allegedly being wanted by the chairman.  Why isn't he doing that this time?

Edited by Renegade

Butcher seems to have found a formula here that works.  That will be partly down to him and partly down to the nature of the club.  There is no reason to think that he will suddenly turn a failing bigger club around.  With Rangers currently out of the picture, we have a great chance to win silverware this season and get into Europe.  Why would he walk away from that opportunity?  Not only would he just love to lead his team out at a cup final and lead a team into Europe, but his stock would rise hugely if he achieved that.  If he does want to finish his career at a bigger club (and I wouldn't blame him if he did) then he needs to see this season through and have the record of real acheivement under his belt.  Don't forget, after the Barnsley fiasco he did publicly state that he would be here till the end of his contract, so I for one will be pretty hacked off if he breaks his word on that.

But what the Barnsley episode demonstrated was that for all the talk of unfinished business here, Butcher does aspire to move on to a bigger club.  My guess he will be here at the end of this season but almost certainly not at the end of the next. I also doubt that he will enjoy the kind of success elswhere that he has enjoyed here.  Not that I'm biased of course, but I think the best career choice for Terry would be to sign a contract with ICT to take him up to retirement.  He will then be able to maintain a healthy income as a pundit and after dinner speaker etc whilst continuing to enjoy the high quality of life the area offers.  Sounds like a good life to me.

The comment "At this moment in time I'm staying here" isn't any endorsement of his intention to remain here. It's valid as of 5pm in his post-match interview. Unfortunately, next week is a different "moment in time"!

I expect Hibs to make an approach to our board next week seeking permission to talk to Terry.

Meanwhile, the bookies have Butcher as odds-on favourite. Definitely concerned about developments.

Guest Mahonio

Like Sneckboy, I too am worried, especially having read Hibs.net fans forum :-(.

In fact, I'm drawing up a wishlist of contenders for replacement, that's how worried i am, can't post a link but Topic title on Hibs.net is Terry Butcher and believe me, its 2 pages worth reading if you can find it.

Found link: http://www.hibeesbounce.com/forum/showthread.php?107225-Terry-Butcher&p=1355453.

Edited by Mahonio

I heard it as well and it sounded as if it is a done deal but Kenny Shiels is still  the favourite according to the bookies with Butcher being sixth. At this stage I would tend to believe the money men rather than Chick Young until an official announcement is made. Maybe Renegades post is more likely to be accurate.

Edited by bigjohn
  • Agree 1

One person will be loving all of this, & that's Tel boy himself. He will enjoy the publicity& adulation as usual, good for him as well earned.

He will also be using it  to good effect to publicise the team & promote Inverness in a good way all to our benefit.

Also I can see the Caley board unperturbed they`ll just be saying to TB, of you go its up to you! Just leave all your good work behind you unfinished, we`ll just get

someone else to move us forward. That should be enough to get TB signed up again.

Yes I think the more interest in our Tel and our players the better its going to be for ICT, I think we`ve got some mileage out of the current set up yet.

• Agree 1

One person will be loving all of this, & that's Tel boy himself. He will enjoy the publicity& adulation as usual, good for him as well earned.

He will also be using it  to good effect to publicise the team & promote Inverness in a good way all to our benefit.

Also I can see the Caley board unperturbed they`ll just be saying to TB, of you go its up to you! Just leave all your good work behind you unfinished, we`ll just get

someone else to move us forward. That should be enough to get TB signed up again.

Yes I think the more interest in our Tel and our players the better its going to be for ICT, I think we`ve got some mileage out of the current set up yet.

Although an indication of a team doing well, I don't think any club welcomes interest in their players and manager. 

Getting someone else in to move us forward is easier said than done. Terry's longevity at the club is part of the reason for the unity and team spirit. Also, many of the players from the lower English leagues are here mainly because of the influence of Butcher. A new boss like David Weir for example just won't have so much appeal.

We have to accept that if he goes, as seems increasingly likely now, he'll probably also take Malpas and Marsella with him....and eventually maybe some players like Foran.

Chick Young the only one pushing it no one else has said anything about butcher apart from some articles linking butcher with the job. I think like everyone here that Butcher would be silly to go to Hibs there are bigger clubs out there if he wants a bigger responsibility and pressure. But if it does happen then what Butcher has done is raise the profile of the club and I am sure we will get someone else who will continue to raise our profile.

I really believe he will not join another SPL club.

Nor do I, why would he? He is achieving/can achieve as much here as he could at any other club in the Premiership (outside Celtic but thats obviously never going to happen). He is also under little to no pressure here compared with what he would be under at so called bigger clubs.