Butcher offski?

Pele_Is_God

John Hartson has crashed into '4th place' from nowhere in the betting at 8/1 - there are always surprise names! He's just quit as assistant manager of Wales to 'spend more time with the family'...allegedly!

Feck me the Immortal Howden Ender is in at 1000/1 :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I was taken aback by Maurice Malpas's interview on Sportsound to the effect that he could not consider staying at ICT because we could not offer him what he needed in terms of crowds and training facilities.

The attendances and facilities are no different to those he was delighted to grab with both hands almost 5 years ago when he was unemployed and virtually unemployable within the game.

I am afraid that his words today have tarnished my view of him as much as Butcher's actions on Saturday did for his boss.

Steve Marsella may be going too but at least he has to be given credit for keeping a dignified silence.

I am disappointed now in both Maurice Malpas and TB - both of them were no-where when they came to ICT and now appear to be "too big for their boots". Oh dear, they were "celebrated" in the Inverness area but now, unfortunately, have shown true colours in money terms. I, as a long term ICT fan, am very disillusioned by them - both Pele and Robbo had so much more guts and reasons for moving on. Sad days indeed to have our recent "icons" proved to have feet of clay (imbedded in cash, likely).
  • Agree 1

Well, the 3 of them are off.  I'm disappointed but not surprised that Butcher's gone.  For me, this was inevitable following on from the Barnsley fiasco.  What I felt was extraordinary at the time was how so many people then thought he had behaved honourably and hailed him as a hero when he pledged his aleigence to ICT.  The basic behaviour was no different.  He wanted away and the reason he didn't go was absolutely nothing to do with the pull of this club or the area.  The reason he didn't take the money was because for whatever reason he couldn't take Malpas with him.  He's failed on his own before and he knew he would fail on his own again.  There was nothing honourable about the way he behaved then .

The difference now is that he has been able to take Malpas with him.  What he really thinks about ICT was clearly demonstrated by his turning up at Easter Road, whilst still ICT's manager, and watching the match from the main stand.  It was just the sheer indifference of the man towards the club that has given him the opportunity of success these last few years that struck me.  We're nothing as far as he is concerned.

For me the intriguing aspect of all of this is the timing.  When he got the approach from Barnsley we were really flying - much as we are now.  He chose the point when we were on a high to make his move almost as though he had no confidence that we would see it through to success and that therefore he would be seen as a failure.  It was as though he needed to catch the eye of potential suitors when it looked as though he was a successful manager despite the fact that he'd never won anything in his life except the promotion with us.   And for no hope Barnsley!  He was never going to win anything there but perhaps avoiding relegation could be construed as success.   We took a significant drop of form after the Barnsley fiasco.  It was as though once all the euphoria of his return had died down the reality that he had wanted away hit the players.  We rallied at the end but it is my belief that we would have won a European place and probably got to the league cup final at least had he had a little more faith in his players and not gone down to "listen to what Barnsley had to say".

And now he's off to Hibs just as we are looking good to improve on last year.  Again he seems to lack the belief in his players to actually win something.  He seems to want to be managing a team where success is measured in simply doing better than you were doing before and not in actually winning something.  It's all show, all illusion.  He doesn't believe he will ever be genuinely successful so surrounds himself with the illusion of success and then wants out before the illusion disappears.

He doesn't give a toss about this club.  It's only number 1 that matters.  My theory - and this may come as a totally new thought to some - is that he's simply a narcisist!

• Agree 7

Former Sydney FC coach Terry Butcher has let fly over his time in the A-League, labelling his experience in Australia “a total nightmare”.

Butcher, who now coaches Scottish side Inverness, mentored Sydney in the 2006/07 A-League season, but was sacked after his side was ousted in the first round of the finals series.

More than two years on, Butcher has revealed to UK newspaper The Times he took particular exception to his treatment by the Australian media and said his time with Sydney was marred by political problems.

“It was a total nightmare,” Butcher was quoted as saying.

“Sydney had won the league title the year before (under Pierre Littbarski) but I couldn’t sign anyone, there were political problems at the club and everything went wrong.

“I received a hell of a lot of resentment as well.

“I was absolutely hammered by the press … I used to try to write articles for the Sydney Morning Herald but I got hammered for absolutely everything.

“They even called me a hobo,” he added, referring to a comment made by SBS commentator Les Murray about his dress sense. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Everything was a test and day after day there was another problem but we got through them," he said. "We were like a gypsy club and I felt like a nomad. My office was on the 18th floor of a shopping complex, we had a rented stadium and no home.

Butcher revealed he relied on phone calls and internet chats with his former Motherwell sidekick Maurice Malpas to get him through the hard times. "It must have been like the Samaritans in the early weeks when things weren't going well for either of us," he says.

And he even blames The Ashes for driving a rift between him and the Aussies.

"The Ashes didn't help," he  added.  :lol:  :lol:  "I'm not saying they were anti-English, but you could sense there was not the same humour that exists between the Scots and the English."

http://youtu.be/02HeUKygnZ0

John Hartson has crashed into '4th place' from nowhere in the betting at 8/1 - there are always surprise names! He's just quit as assistant manager of Wales to 'spend more time with the family'...allegedly!

I think his wife is from Spean Bridge

I think his wife is from Spean Bridge

Let him manage Fort William then.  If he wins the Highland League next season we'll offer him a job.

Seriously though, he might be a decent shout.  He's got a good footballing brain and whilst he has no track record of club management he could do well. Mind you, if he did do well I doubt he'd stay long.

Stood by Terry and Maurice at times when others didnt and I believed in what they did right up until they left. The ego trip theyve suddenly developed over the weekend left me stunned. I still am.

I didnt wish them ill after leaving but since hearing what they really had to say about the club I sure do now. Nothing short of disgusting as Sutherland so appropriately put.

• Agree 1

Up until pat fenlon left we were just ticking along nicely and then boom!

He wanted to go, he's gone. End of.

I liked him, I do think he is a decent guy and certainly don't know if we will get someone with the charisma he has.

We could go on about this for weeks but it ain't gonna change anything, let's be positive about our new chapter and not ruin the good times we have had over last few years by going over and over last weeks mess!!

• Agree 1

Never liked Butcher much before he came to ICT due to association with other club and country and Burley's miserable Scotand reign but enjoyed the success he brought and respected his media savvy. He has completely lost any respect I had for him following his disgraceful behaviour and derogatory comments about ICT faclities and fans. Billy Big Time seems to think he'll be welcome back any time. I wonder what sort of reception he'll get when he brings his big time boys up for their next football lesson at TCS?

When it's all said and done, after 5 years in charge, (some of which were lacklustre to say the least) and with a bigger budget than any previous manager, all he achieved was to finish 3 places higher than Brewster did (interestingly Brewster's side finished 7th with 58 points whilst Butcher's finished 4th with 54 points). Whilst I would agree that Butcher eventually assembled a very good squad, we can't allow him or his media cheerleaders to give the false impression that he was some kind of messiah figure who single handedly transformed a diddy club and dragged them into the big time. Most of the bricks had already been laid by those who came before.

Edited by AlexJones
  • Agree 3

When it's all said and done, after 5 years in charge, (some of which were lacklustre to say the least) and with a bigger budget than any previous manager, all he achieved was to finish 3 places higher than Brewster did (interestingly Brewster's side finished 7th with 58 points whilst Butcher's finished 4th with 54 points).

An anomaly of the ridiculous SPL split - easier to gather points playing in bottom six?

Bye Terry. Shut the door behind you, thanks.

And so the door closed,        the first light went out..................a trembling voice was heard..... goodnight Terry.................ah was the reply goodnight    MO. .........     further lights went out and another voice was heard .... Goodnight Johndo..................There was no reply............................... Johndo was out planting bulbs. ............Silence...............     then they heard it ............... One Narcissus two, narcissus three narcissus...... ICT no more

There was no sleep that night what have we done they thought........................ a long nightmare had started.

Some disgraceful comments about TB here I feel , everyone on the planet , you , me , everyone , moves on to bigger and (potentially) better things , given the chance ...more cash sweetens the deal .

Inverness Caley Thistle supporters have never had it so good , out performing the likes of Hibs , Hearts , Abedeen and Dundee Utd on a regular basis .. WOW ! , incredible , what an acheivement by TB and MM

But do some of you graciously accept these wonderful years and acknowledge the work done by Butcher in particular ?

No , you sneer and snarl and completely ignore the fact , that given the same opportunity , you'd do Exactly The Same !

Man up . and Grow up !

• Agree 1

Never knew that Judas had family in Derby. I would actually have accepted this if it had been a team with potential and a rival in our own division, that it didn't happen in mid season when we are going along nicely, that it hadn't ended in such disgraceful circumstances. If it had been me I would have waited until the end of this season and looked for a bigger team with more potential. But I an not at the same level of narcissism and I don't have the future Sevco job in my sights.

• Agree 1