Butcher offski?

Pele_Is_God

Never knew that Judas had family in Derby. I would actually have accepted this if it had been a team with potential and a rival in our own division, that it didn't happen in mid season when we are going along nicely, that it hadn't ended in such disgraceful circumstances. If it had been me I would have waited until the end of this season and looked for a bigger team with more potential. But I an not at the same level of narcissism and I don't have the future Sevco job in my sights.

Ouch :smile:

Honestly , I thought TB should stayed , won a league Cup (very possible) and he would have become an iconic figure in ITCFC history.

Now everythings obviously fractured , opinions divided , reputation scarred to a degree and a bloody good job , well done , possibly forgotten ,

Edited by DerbyDave

I think we can bring this thread to a conclusion by summarising as follows - Butcher and Malpas did very good things for this club, but could have handled their departure much, much better.....

On the other hand, there are only another 74 posts to the 1k - keep going!

A unique selling point of our club is to offer a springboard to attract better players to our club before possibly moving to financially bigger clubs. Terry and co ensured that almost all of our best players received (for us) relatively long contracts and most of these guys are still available into next season. Don't be naive to let others take the credit for this. He has left us in a great position whilst himself benefitting from this opportunity to move to a financially bigger club.

I remember when Grant Munro came back with County to play against us and people were boo-ing him - absolute disgrace. I have yet to see an ex ICT player get anything but a cold reception when they come back to play against us. Come on guys, this is football and those three who have just left deserve to use up all of their substantial credit on a more gracious farewell and less hand wringing and faux outrage. Let's be a big club who respect those who done good by us so good luck guys, as long as you finish below us and above County you are welcome back to MY Inverness anytime.

I changed jobs recently to a bigger organisation with more pay and didn't tell my boss until it was a done deal - why would I. Because I did a good job he wished me luck and told me I was welcome back any time. We have ALL done the same.

Anyway, Ross Jack as assistant manager and Robbo as manager for me.

• Agree 2

Never knew that Judas had family in Derby. I would actually have accepted this if it had been a team with potential and a rival in our own division, that it didn't happen in mid season when we are going along nicely, that it hadn't ended in such disgraceful circumstances. If it had been me I would have waited until the end of this season and looked for a bigger team with more potential. But I an not at the same level of narcissism and I don't have the future Sevco job in my sights.

Honestly , I thought TB should stayed , won a league Cup (very possible) and he would have become an iconic figure in ITCFC history.

Don't give in to this narcissist Dave, the most successful manager in ICT history and he is treated like he went OTB with the whole team. IHE likes to portray himself as a little deeper then the rest of us but then he makes unintelligent comment and throws words like judas around to describe a boy changing jobs - genius (hardly the same as giving up the Big Man was it IHE?).

Now everythings obviously fractured , opinions divided , reputation scarred to a degree and a bloody good job , well done , possibly forgotten ,

A unique selling point of our club is to offer a springboard to attract better players to our club before possibly moving to financially bigger clubs. Terry and co ensured that almost all of our best players received (for us) relatively long contracts and most of these guys are still available into next season. Don't be naive to let others take the credit for this. He has left us in a great position whilst himself benefitting from this opportunity to move to a financially bigger club.

I remember when Grant Munro came back with County to play against us and people were boo-ing him - absolute disgrace. I have yet to see an ex ICT player get anything but a cold reception when they come back to play against us. Come on guys, this is football and those three who have just left deserve to use up all of their substantial credit on a more gracious farewell and less hand wringing and faux outrage. Let's be a big club who respect those who done good by us so good luck guys, as long as you finish below us and above County you are welcome back to MY Inverness anytime.

I changed jobs recently to a bigger organisation with more pay and didn't tell my boss until it was a done deal - why would I. Because I did a good job he wished me luck and told me I was welcome back any time. We have ALL done the same.

Anyway, Ross Jack as assistant manager and Robbo as manager for me.

Nice try, I almost thought you were serious for a second. :lol:

When it's all said and done, after 5 years in charge, (some of which were lacklustre to say the least) and with a bigger budget than any previous manager, all he achieved was to finish 3 places higher than Brewster did (interestingly Brewster's side finished 7th with 58 points whilst Butcher's finished 4th with 54 points). Whilst I would agree that Butcher eventually assembled a very good squad, we can't allow him or his media cheerleaders to give the false impression that he was some kind of messiah figure who single handedly transformed a diddy club and dragged them into the big time. Most of the bricks had already been laid by those who came before.

Its not even our best ever starting 11, just a very good one, the rest of the league is much weaker than in previous years with no Rangers, an uncompetitive Hearts, the rest even more skint than normal and even Celtic were mostly in 2nd gear last year.

Our best ever 11 was the year we had Fraser in goals, with Hastings, Munro, Dodds, Tokely at the back.. Rankin, Black, Duncan and Cowie in the middle and Nicolae and Bayne up top. That 11 would finish 2nd at a canter in this SPL. I think Christie was the manager then who managed to 'k up our best ever squad by giving them no motivation at all.

Butchers praise in the media and from the support should all be about that year we came straight back up, including the ridiculous winning run, had we finished behind Dundee that season we would probably still be in the 1st Division now, it really would have been a nightmare.

It looks as though the foundations for the next couple of years to come look solid with the performance of the youth players in the reserve league, so he's hardly leaving us in terrible shape should he decide to pinch some of our first team players in the summer, we should be fine to stay up next year no problem at all.

The rest of your post I agree with, I called it last January in the winter break that we hadn't achieved bugger all, yet there were people calling him the messiah on here. He was totally one dimensional as a coach and was terrified of making subs or dropping players, I believe our form over the previous season and a half has been in spite of, rather than because of the management team.

This next change of management is important for next season and the future but for this year I'm going to stick my neck out and predict we will now finish 2nd with ease, no complacency for anyone leading into the winter transfer window at least and hopefully a couple of fresh faces in the squad will carry us through to the end of the season.

• Agree 1

Going by Malpas' statement on radio today he is more of a snide and turncoat than Butcher. Malpas never gave the impression that this was his true vocation and he as much as said so today with his comments about size of club, Stadium, Training Facilities, Fanbase etc. According to him we are just a short term job, Hibs is a dream move with huge potential. Yes Maurice, that potential for a Scottish Cup win is over 100 years old and counting

I've never wanted a club to be relegated as much as Hibs.

Let's keep the Status Quo................Down Down, Deeper and Down

Once again, the negative feelings displayed in this thread are NOT about Mr B's so-called achievements but the way in which he engineered his exit. Remember these achievements were not entirely his doing anyway since he had two stalwart assistants, one of whom found most of the English players who have worked out for him, working in close harmony with him.

Why, only a week or so before he left, he was saying that he was "currently committed to ICT" -- so what happened s-o-o- suddenly to alter that high ambition? Nothing! It was not sudden at all..... just pre-planned .

The more I think about it the more the sudden exit swims into focus. I suggest that this exit/transfer to Hibs was contemplated and discussed with someone from the  Easter road organisation at least three months prior to it's execution.

There is no way that even Hibs could have arranged all this turmoil, which involved three prominent members of our coaching team, at such short notice. And perhaps even Pat Fenlon himself got a hefty payment to assist in this process for all we know. His departure was also very sudden, apparently, but not so sudden that Rod Petrie was wringing his hands in total dismay and total disarray, shocked to the core and crying out in anguish...."Mea Culpa. Mea Culpa." Or so it seems! 

In fact, all appeared calm and serene  at Easter Road in these last few weeks...correct?

So, is it realistic to think that Pat and Rod and Ter didn't all just  have a chat on what was best for all of them long beforehand? 

If you get the news that you are expected to uproot and depart for Edinburgh only a week before you are expected to be en route south, then how much time does that take to flabbergast and dismay your wife and family . A move which potentially involves selling the house and changing schools perhaps,? No person who is settled in a district is going to take kindly to such a peremptory order or offer even? Time is needed to arrange things so you do the mathematics. This was done and dusted months ago IMHO. Anyone disagree? And, if so, that is betrayal and opportunism at it's worst because it has now left ICT hung out to dry.

It does not just affect T. B. but other people also, including the fans, by the way, especially those who have committed to the club for the rest of the season by having purchased season tickets. 

And this is not just about one person's leaving for a better job. Because other senior and vital components of the team structure were always  going to be adversely affected by such a radical decision--even possibly sufficiently to crush the hopes of the team for the remainder of the season. That's not just about bettering oneself, that's just plain not doing the right thing. T. B. was not just an ordinary employee but one who was right at the top of the heap , meaning that any sudden unexpected departure from his duties could be catastrophic for the club... like a mortar shell falling on your  space without any warning.

Mr. Cameron would never have stood in the way of any member of his club if he had been taken into the confidence of the person who wanted to leave. He would accept it as inevitable and then it would be worked out so that when the big offer came after the end of the season then plans would be in place to fill the void. That's a  classy way of working, not doing the sudden dump on the club and the persons who helped bring Mr. Butcher to prominence.

What was Butcher afraid of? That the club would start to slide down the table and by the end of the season it would be in the lower level doldrums? Or that he would be fired anyway at the end of the season if he revealed his feelings to the Board. Neither scenario is believable. 

So that leaves only one reason for going so suddenly--opportunism....or  "I'm all right, Jack. how about you?"

Have a great day to all our loyal team members and fans.

• Agree 4

Here we are several days into our search for a new manager and the fourth estate have no idea who the new man is going to be. Compare that to the fact that the BBC and other media outlets knew for certain who was going to be the new manager at Easter Road within 24 hours of that vacancy arising.

The BBC accused Terry Butcher of having agreed personal terms with Hibs long before our club were even approached for permission for our then manager to talk to his prospective new employers. That was a very damaging accusation to level at TB striking at his honesty and personal integrity. I can't comment on whether the BBC allegations were true or not but it does strike me as curious that Terry has not demanded that the BBC issue an apology or retraction.

• Agree 2

Notice as well, that up until last weekend, Butcher was still "making up his mind".  Despite this, Malpas claims he'd decided to leave by the middle of last week.  Bit strange considering Butcher hadn't made up his mind yet eh!  :rolleyes:

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 1

Well the Judas and Derby bit was of course sarcastic and inflammatory but you were a tad sharp yerself initially. I am afraid that the manner and timing of his departure have dulled many of the good things that happened before. Many fans believed in the virtue, honesty and apparent loyalty of TB and I would say that he has angered some to the core due to an act of pure selfishness.

• Agree 3

I used to get a lot of heat on the forum for my belief that, unlike some people, Butcher wasn't the greatest human being to ever walk the face of the Earth.  Over the last season and a half, Butcher and Malpas really had won me round, playing good football and attracting good players, and I particularly enjoyed the big shindig at the end of the away games.  It all seems like a distant memory to me now.

There's was always though something about Butcher as a man, that didn't sit quite right with me.  I always thought there was a side to him where he could turn into a real menace, and I once witnessed at a reserve game Butcher (who happened to sitting next to Derek Adams at the time) balling at one fan like he was dirt.  It was a horrible moment and I will not forget it.  I have it on good authority as well, that like Alex Ferguson, there's a schizophrenic side to Butcher that can come out at any time.  I've heard from quite a few sources, that if you're telling Butcher everything's great and he's fantastic, he's a lovely man, but make even a passing remark he takes umbrage to, he becomes an utter horror.

Am I surprised that Butcher has gone?  In many ways, yes I am.  I thought he would least see out this season at least, but to go to a rival of ours, a club known as a managerial graveyard and going back on the promise he'd given the club and to essentially trash us in the process is a very bitter pill to swallow.  To speak to Hibs, in some way, behind the backs of the club, the chairman and the fans is a horrible move and to then deny it to everyone is even worse.  As I mentioned earlier in the thread, officially Butcher was still "making making up his mind" until Sunday, yet Malpas claims he'd already to already made up his mind to leave by "the middle of last week", despite saying prior to the Hibs game that "he didn't know what was going to happen".  To me, that sounds like Malpas has let it slip that this has been on the cards secretly for some time in advance.  Butcher and Malpas are nothing but liars.

There's no doubt, that overall that Butcher and Malpas (and Marsella) did some great work for this club both on the field and off it, but their behaviour recently has been nothing short of a disgrace.  Had they gone at the end of the season or to a large English club (such as Butcher's beloved Ipswich) then I think that even had they broken their word, the fans would be understanding and the wounds would quickly heal and we'd all wish them well, but for them to go in the manner they did was utterly vile.  The good work they did has now soured and the name here has been tarnished beyond repair.  I wish on Butcher and Malpas nothing but the worst, for the rest of their careers. 

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 3

Renegade - says it as it is! However, after the initial pain followed by fury and betrayal, I'm now feeling really positive: Butcher did us well, but we now have an opportunity to find an even better man to take us to the promised land. Just glad I'm not making the choice!

• Agree 1

Looking at it as objectively as I can, and with a few days of hindsight and not feeling as raw as it did (though it still hurts) I can't blame a manager wanting to go to a club with a large fanbase (4th biggest in Scotland), in a 20000 seater stadium with a top training complex. They'd also get a more flexible budget and a better salary themselves. It's inevitable they'd go. It's just a same it could not have been handled better. Had they already agreed to go, why not leave straight away as soon as terms were agreed instead of dragging it out over last weekend. And goading us fans in the process. Then rubbing it in, in his interviews. Show a little decorum.

My one point about ambition is that technically he can't really achieve any more at Hibs than he could here. The best he can hope for in the next 2 seasons (this and next) is 2nd place. It'll be near impossible to do this year. He might win the Scottish cup, though it's unlikely. The league cup next season. That's all ifs and buts. Rest assured though that as soon as Rangers are back in the top flight they'll be finishing 2nd that season. They'll spend enough to ensure it. And they won't need to spend a lot (Their team is good enough to be competing this season, though their what I would call competitively unfit, meaning their not sharp to this level, though technically good enough). After which the best any team will be able to achieve is 3rd and a mediocre showing in Europe against an average side.
It sounds pessimistic but for anyone to believe anything else is kidding themselves.

So the way I see it. Money talks, Terry walks. And I buy into the consensus that the move was probably pre-orchestrated.

But we'll move on, we'll survive. We'll hopefully keep improving and keep growing.

• Agree 1