I posted a response in the "Butcher Offski" thread about some of the surprising site stats we noted on Google Analytics when the site was getting a huge number of hits yesterday (see quote below) ... As noted, I would be interested in gathering some feedback from site users who access the site on a mobile platform (phone/tablet) or who use what might previously have been deemed a non-standard browser when IE and Firefox had the market sewn up ! (eg. Safari, Opera, Chrome etc)

Would like to know what works well, and perhaps more importantly, what doesnt. For example, I know on my iPhone that the front page (stories) don't load well as the sidebar becomes a vertical row of tiles at the top of the page and you have to scroll for ages to get to the actual story ....

As Yngwie noted, I also paid attention to our traffic yesterday via google analytics both the historical data which is always a few hours old and also the new "live" stats that showed me in real-time how many people were on the site and what threads were getting nailed hard. Not surprisingly the Offski thread and the New manager threads were the most viewed. They were getting loaded at a rate of 60 times per minute at one stage.

What was perhaps a little surprising to me was that nearly 40% of our unique visits were coming from either smartphones (25%) or from tablets (15%) and that Safari and Chrome were the most popular browsers alongside IE10 with about 25% each and Firefox a distant 4th on just 10%. Windows is still used on 54% of computers accessing the site but iOS is nearly 30% and Android 12%. All of this does give me food for thought when we look to roll out the new version of this forum that is slated for release soon, and which will probably take a few months for us to customise and make ready for CTO. It is clear from all the aggregated info that we will have to look at responsive design elements and be very aware of the needs of both smartphone and tablet users in our layout.

It would be interesting (to me at least) to get some feedback from users who may be accessing the site on iPad/iPhone, Android Phones/Tablets or with browsers like Safari and Chrome as our current design was definitely focused along large monitors and IE/Firefox compatibilities ..... but lets do that on another thread. I will post something in the tech support forum.

Thanks for that interesting, extended feedback following Ywingie's excellent response to my initial query.

It's always fascinating to see official stats on a topic as opposed to hearsay - "absolutely everyone's talking about it!"

I'm surprised too, at some of those quotas. I virtually never access websites via my phone!

So, for the record: I use IE10 from my laptop and very occasionally, the same platform from my Mum's desktop (but I bet you knew that already!)

Yup ... and the fact you chose coco pops over frosties this morning :amazed: seriously though the info is aggregated so no identifiable stuff, but the overall stats are  fascinating and not what I expected. 

I use iPad mostly, sometimes iPhone and sometimes Chrome on my laptop. I almost always use the "View New Content" button; occasionally I use the tabs to access the club site (but it doesn't work very well on iPad)

I view it from my sofa, slightly slouched with my leg rest raised sometimes and my laptop balanced on my lap, but sometimes I hold it in my left arm as it's the right distance for my glasses then.

Hope this helps.

• Agree 2

I use IE 10 but was offered IE 11 by windows Update. Took one look and they have changed the format so will stick with what I've got so long as I am not forced to change. No doubt it does offer some some superior advantages in speed or something but what else really?

Never use a cell phone or IPad or smart phone. Keep It Simple Sam is my motto now until death removes me from the scene. Which will be a lot shorter in terms of years than almost all the other posters on this site.

Next computer will be a laptop I think. Hopefully with larger keys.

The site is fine  the way it is. Always access the threads via "View New Content". Usually flawless. No particular need to navigate round it into all the secret places since my interest in every new gadget and app coming into the market is significant by its absence. In my next re-incarnation I will  pay attention with great interest for the first 50-60 years then ..decline gracefully. 

80% iPad

18% MacOS + Safari

2% iPhone + Safari

If anybody can tell me how to access smileys on this site using iPad I'd be very pleased  :blink: even with emoticons enabled I don't see them (or maybe I'm supposed to use bb code :lol:)