BT wins Champions League rights

Caley Braveheart

An £897million deal!  And yet they cant afford to upgrade our local phone line to allow us to get broadband via the land line -  despite all the public money they get to do just that.

Is your exchange one of those with a specific BDUK contract that BT have tendered for and won ? If not then BT have not received any public money to upgrade *your* line at all. If it is then that money is ring-fenced for that purpose and cannot be used for any of the sport deals.

Have Sky lost the rights as well? Not read any statements about the deal yet.

Yep, BT have won exclusive rights to all games.

think this is for European Champions League and Europa League games only. Exclusive rights, but the money is to only go to the teams competing in Europe, so it will widen the gap between the top of the league and everyone else even more.

Sky still have the SPFL and Premiership deal with BT.

Wonder how much the Champions League clubs will get per season? share of £900 million over 3 seasons, split between probably 8 clubs per season in the UK, £ 300 million per season, even if they get £10 -15 million more a season it will make getting into the Champions league each season even harder for those not already qualifying, and that includes us against Celtic. Whats our budget £ 3m against £ 60m, yet whats Man Utd or Real Madrid £2-300 m?

Level playing fields gone forever, not that its been fair for long enough

They have bought exclusive rights to Champions League and Europa League matches at a cost of approx £854,000 per match. Bauhaus, the money goes to Uefa not the UK teams and will boost finances to participating clubs throughout europe and also the clubs in the leagues that those participating clubs are members of.

The end of Champions League and Europa League games on terrestrial telly

though they will make " a few " available free to air

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24879138

Dont think so. They are saying they will make some games free to air. How that will work I don't know unless they plan selling them to one of the freeview / freesat channels.

They have bought exclusive rights to Champions League and Europa League matches at a cost of approx £854,000 per match. Bauhaus, the money goes to Uefa not the UK teams and will boost finances to participating clubs throughout europe and also the clubs in the leagues that those participating clubs are members of.

The end of Champions League and Europa League games on terrestrial telly

though they will make " a few " available free to air

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24879138

Dont think so. They are saying they will make some games free to air. How that will work I don't know unless they plan selling them to one of the freeview / freesat channels.

Alex

I understand that the money goes into the Bank of UEFA, but when the likes of Utd or Celtic, Arsenal or Chelsea qualify for the group stages, they are guaranteed so many £millions (about £ 10m in Celtics case ) but they always get quoted as with group stages games getting around £4 million on top in Celtics case. the likes of Man U and Barca get even more, so how much will this increase their share. 32 clubs make the group stages of the CL, with £ 300m a season more in the pot.

As for the free to air thing, they do that already. Our tv in the kitchen has free view built in compared to sky in the other rooms. Sometimes when I'm flicking through the channels one by one to find something of interest, the BT channels are free to view, as I've watched a good few games on it. So thats what they may mean by making them free to air.

Bauhaus

From article:

Each of the 32 teams in the group phase of the Champions League currently receive a participation payment of around £7m and £396,000 for every match played in the group stages. The winners get more than £30m in total.

All the clubs, be it Celtic or Man U get the same amount for participation in group stages. The extra comes from the games played in k.o. stages

Dont know what Europa league gets.

BT are paying a lot more than Sky/ITV were prepared to pay but I dont know what they paid last time so not able to work out how much more they may get and bear in mind it also goes to Europa League teams and theres the amount that goes to the other teams in the participating clubs league. That should also increase proportionately.

• 3 weeks later...

Bauhaus

From article:

Each of the 32 teams in the group phase of the Champions League currently receive a participation payment of around £7m and £396,000 for every match played in the group stages. The winners get more than £30m in total.

All the clubs, be it Celtic or Man U get the same amount for participation in group stages. The extra comes from the games played in k.o. stages

Dont know what Europa league gets.

BT are paying a lot more than Sky/ITV were prepared to pay but I dont know what they paid last time so not able to work out how much more they may get and bear in mind it also goes to Europa League teams and theres the amount that goes to the other teams in the participating clubs league. That should also increase proportionately.

Alex, It was on Radio Scotland yesterday that the new BT deal will mean the team qualifying from Scotland will get an added £ 7 million for getting to the group stages. English clubs will get more than £ 7 million each. Therefore if Celtic are earning around 12 million for getting to the group stages this season, when the BT deal kicks in they will be getting near £ 20 million. That is 7 times our annual budget, and thats just one competition, forget their league and cup, sponsors and season tickets. 

To get a share of that we need to finish second, and hope that Celtic get a run in Europe to get the country co-efficient up allowing 2 teams into the Champs league, oh damn AC Milan messed that up

BT buying these rights could be the pin to finally burst the bubble. I don't think I'd be alone in switching broadband provider if my payment increases substantially to pay for this. As great as some European games are, I think we already pay too much for coverage. Now, I realise that you'll probably cancel sky sports, saving that money but, are bt going to have to charge a lot more than sky were? You better believe it.