• John Hughes
    • Colin Cameron
    • Richie Foran
    • Jimmy Calderwood
    • Alan Moore
    • John Brown
    • Peter Houston
    • Someone else (say below)

Burley wasn't suited for an international job.  His main string to his bow is finding good players in unfashionable clubs.  That couldn't really happen at Scotland.  Taking Ipswich into Europe and Hearts to the top of the league has to be in his favour.  Crystal Palace wasn't great but it's the only blip in his club career for me.

I'd be delighted.  Does he drink as much as reported.  I don't know but I doubt it. Never hear rumours when things are going well.  Plus, look at Brian Clough for a start...

Burley was fantastic at Ipswich (promotion and then Europa league in successive seasons). Relegation the following season was thanks to Europa League distraction + not anticipating a relegation dogfight. At Hearts he was even better, until Romanov decided otherwise (weren't they 2nd in the league at that time?) Scotland wasn't great, especially the Ilewumo/Boyd shambles.

I think he could do a job for us, especially with an ICT thoroughbred by his side (Foran or Wilson?)

International management is totally different from club management.

Coaches like Levein and Burley were horrible choices for Scotland as neither were ever likely to make an impact with players who only see once every month or two, for a couple of days, they were never going to build any rapport in that time. Somebody like Strachan can instantly get into the head of a player, he is vocal and wears his heart on his sleeve, he looks to me the type of guy who can speak to a player for 30 seconds and they'll know exactly whats expected of them.

The other side of being a big character, being outspoken, is that you can make a total arse of it at club level. Somebody like Strachan (or Souness is a better example) will just **** players off long term.

Burley was fantastic at Ipswich (promotion and then Europa league in successive seasons). Relegation the following season was thanks to Europa League distraction + not anticipating a relegation dogfight. At Hearts he was even better, until Romanov decided otherwise (weren't they 2nd in the league at that time?) Scotland wasn't great, especially the Ilewumo/Boyd shambles.

I think he could do a job for us, especially with an ICT thoroughbred by his side (Foran or Wilson?)

don,t think Richie or Barry can be classed as thoroughbreds to ICT, both have contributed big time I agree......but not thoroughbreds!

Charlie Christie is the man to support a new manager like Paul Hartley or Barry Ferguson

If it were on playing ability alone  I'd choose John Robertson , what a fabulous player he was

Fabulous winger.  Would have learned a lot from Brian Clough and Martin O'Neill too :whistle:

:laugh:  Yeah Our Robbo (was at Derby briefly) was pretty good too

Interesting movers in the betting:

Levein out to 10-1, now back in at 6-1

Laslo now out to 20-1

Sutton in to 8-1!

Nobody has a clue.

South American applicants?! Can only be Diego Maradonna - that would be something to stir old Butcher up!

If it were on playing ability alone I'd choose John Robertson , what a fabulous player he was

Fabulous winger. Would have learned a lot from Brian Clough and Martin O'Neill too :whistle:

Only heard he had had a heart attack recently when O'Neill was up for the Ireland job. Great player indeed - Cloughie got inside his head and the defenders he would face.

The other one wasn't a bad player either.

...and as for the Italian applicant then who knows!

Ex Ireland manager Giovani Trappatoni.

:shrug02:

Di Matteo? Di Canio? :getmecoat:

Recently read he was still getting paid £130000 a week by Chelsea. I don't think he will be looking for a job. 

Surely the South American would be Ardiles? I'm sure he applied for the job before we appointed Butcher

He did indeed.  Supposedly it wasn't a gimmick either, as he had found an assistant as well (probably Ricky Villa).

I remember when he applied, he was interviewed by the BBC.  When they asked what he knew about Inverness, he replied with:  "All I know...it is very cold!" 

Edited by Renegade

Ardiles 66-1 (worth a punt if he's applied?!)

Barry Ferguson (thankfully) out to 500-1 with Paddypower, but still <20-1 with others.

The 'Barry Ferguson' on Paddy Power is actually Alex Ferguson when you click through, making 500/1 still rubbish odds.

...and as for the Italian applicant then who knows!

Ex Ireland manager Giovani Trappatoni.

:shrug02:

Di Matteo? Di Canio? :getmecoat:

Recently read he was still getting paid £130000 a week by Chelsea. I don't think he will be looking for a job. 

If we were to appoint him then that would effectively mean he would be getting paid about £130,001 a week!!Shouldnt be sniffed at :tongueincheek:

Ardiles 66-1 (worth a punt if he's applied?!)

Barry Ferguson (thankfully) out to 500-1 with Paddypower, but still <20-1 with others.

The 'Barry Ferguson' on Paddy Power is actually Alex Ferguson when you click through, making 500/1 still rubbish odds.

Nice one - you'd think that someone might know the difference between Sir A and Mr B Ferguson?! I see that the Burley quoted is "Craig" not "George" too...