Contract Situation

Sneckboy

Nick Ross has a cup winner's medal with his hometown team: surely that will be the pinnacle of his career.  He's a good squad player for us but if he wants regular first team football and new challenges he will need to move.  I don't know what he is looking for or expects in terms of contract offers, but to be honest, I think his style of play is more suited to ICT than many other clubs and it would not surprise me if the prospect of regular first team football would only be offered elsewhere at a wage he would not want to accept.  Lack of offers may result in him staying put and trying to make the most of the opportunities he will undoubtedly still get here.

The current season is now history and we have no idea how things will pan out next year. It is not beyond the bounds of possibility that Nick, Aaron and Eddie might make a great front three with Ryan, Danny and others being part of various permutations.  Nick may well end up as a fixture at ICT like he was before his shoulder injury. I suspect he has a very difficult decision to make.

While undoubtedly Nick Ross is a talented footballer, has he really played better that other players to deserve a more regular starting slot. I don't think he has and until he shows he is deserving of a start every week, then he should not be guaranteed one. If he moves, is he guaranteed a regular start wherever he ends up?.

I'm not for a second saying that Yogi got things wrong, (that would be madness!) I just mean I think Nick's abilities and they way Yogi wants the game played, in my mind suit each other very well.  But as I said, what would I know?  Yogi and the players he has fielded have got the results for us.  The table and the name on the cup do not lie.

My initial point was with Marley going (now gone) Nick could play a very similar role for us.

I have faith in Yogi with this and if Nick leaves I thank him and wish him all the best.

• Agree 1

Has Baptie definitely been released?  I did see him on that PFA Player Availability, but the likes of John Sutton were also on it as well despite being offered a new deal at Motherwell.  I've always thought Baptie looked a player whenever I saw him.

Has Baptie definitely been released?  I did see him on that PFA Player Availability, but the likes of John Sutton were also on it as well despite being offered a new deal at Motherwell.  I've always thought Baptie looked a player whenever I saw him.

​I've seen his name on a few released players list, the most recent being from a few days ago. http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/33028602

If we can get Ofere and Ross signed up for next season we'll be going into the pre season in a decent position.

Ofere had a good goal record towards the end of the season and I reckon with a full pre season for us could be a very capable player.

It's odd that Yogi has so often complimented Nick Ross ability but it hasn't resulted in the minutes on the pitch. With Watkins leaving and perhaps Williams playing more a left wing back role then maybe this could be his year.

As for Kink, well maybe have him on trial for pre season to earn a contract, even just a 6 month deal. He's probably not match sharp and sometimes that can really show. But if he was to have a good pre season and show something then why not?

If we can get Ofere and Ross signed up for next season we'll be going into the pre season in a decent position.

Ofere had a good goal record towards the end of the season and I reckon with a full pre season for us could be a very capable player.

It's odd that Yogi has so often complimented Nick Ross ability but it hasn't resulted in the minutes on the pitch. With Watkins leaving and perhaps Williams playing more a left wing back role then maybe this could be his year.

As for Kink, well maybe have him on trial for pre season to earn a contract, even just a 6 month deal. He's probably not match sharp and sometimes that can really show. But if he was to have a good pre season and show something then why not?

​Disagree about Kink. He had half a season to get himself match fit. The problem seemed to be lack of skill and commitment rather than lack of fitness. Can't see anything to be gained by offering him a salary for another half season. Yogi had plenty of time to assess him and clearly, like most fans, was unimpressed.

• Agree 4

I've not had the chance to see much of him myself. Guess the manager will decide whether he can actually offer us anything.

​Seriously, he's useless.  Comes on and is completely anonymous.  When he signed, I remember looking up a few Middlesbrough sites to see what their fans said about him.  Most said essentially what we've come to see: a one trick pony who shoots from range and not much else.  No desire to get involved in the game, no impact and no drive.  That's exactly what we've seen.  

We have offered him a deal though I see.  God knows why!

I saw Kink come on in a few games and he offered absolutely nothing that I could see. I also wonder whether he'll fit in with our tight-knit bunch. If we've offered him a contract, I'm very surprised and he must be showing something in training that we've not seen on match days!

Careful lads/lasses, I seem to remember some people weren't very impressed with a new managerial appointment when first it came in to being. I'm quite sure there is good reason for his being with us, especially if he has been offered a contract.

I agree with PerfICT.  If he is with us next season then it will be Yogi's job to get the best out of him.  Kink's performances will be just one of the things which will give a measure of just how good Yogi is as a manager.  Boyce had a bit of an attitude at County but McIntyre seems to have been a big influence on him and that has made a huge difference to his performances.  We need Yogi to do the same with Kink.

Haven't seen enough of Kink to form a strong opinion. When he came on against Raith he looked absolutely class. Hughes said as much in the post match interview, lauding his 'dip of the shoulder' technique to Jim Spence. I think he's worth taking a chance on.

Guest Shaun

I am a bit worried that a) nothing is being reported about new contracts being signed or b) no rumours or news about new signings coming in.

Now, I ken its pre season break but it'd be nice to hear that players are being signed on new deals.

Regarding new signings coming in, I do believe that work is being done but it frustrates me that other clubs are signing players on pre contracts. Where is IHE when you need him :-P, he is always good for transfer rumours?

I am a bit worried that a) nothing is being reported about new contracts being signed or b) no rumours or news about new signings coming in.

Now, I ken its pre season break but it'd be nice to hear that players are being signed on new deals.

Regarding new signings coming in, I do believe that work is being done but it frustrates me that other clubs are signing players on pre contracts. Where is IHE when you need him :-P, he is always good for transfer rumours?

I would imagine that majority at the club are on holiday at the moment, so nothing would really be happening right now. 

Regarding new signings, we don't really have an urgency to recruite new players. When you see other clubs getting players in now, they've either had a massive number of players leave their club or they're just panic buying. I would hope and trust our club would sit down and analyse the positions needed filled in and see who is the best available to us instead of going ahead and getting in players just for the sake of it. 

• Agree 1

Tarmo has played 86 international games. In the last season, he had little game time prior to signing for ICT. After joining he found it was like a lot of players who were unable to force their way into the team. With the training he has so far done with the club and some pre-season, this will give him a better base. 

In the 'training' game against Celtic just prior to the cup final, he was basically played as a centre forward for 70 minutes. That was not an easy task but he worked very hard. I for one hope he does sign because he can offer us a significant threat once he gets more game time. Last year as I have said is now history. We start at square one and Tarmo is a good signing if made. 

In the 'training' game against Celtic just prior to the cup final, he was basically played as a centre forward for 70 minutes. That was not an easy task but he worked very hard. 

​No he didn't, he was hardly in the game.  Granted the guy must have some ability, but his attitude leaves a lot to be desired.  He must be one of the poorest players we've had effort-wise since Philip Roberts.  I also don't buy this argument that it all comes down to fitness.  Edward Ofere, even by the end of the season, still didn't look fully fit but at least you could tell he was trying.  I don't see that effort and drive whenever Kink plays whatsoever.

If you look at Kink's past as well, as well as the same criticisms being aimed at him at Middlesbrough, he's had a heck of a lot of clubs.  I think there's a few things you could read into that.

• Agree 2

Signed until the end of next season (2016-17):

• Gary Warren

• Richie Foran

• Greg Tansey

• Josh Meekings

Signed until the end of this season (2015-16):

• John Hughes - Manager

• Russell Latapy - Assistant Manager

• Dean Brill

• Aaron Doran

• Danny Williams

• Ryan Esson

• Ryan Christie

• Carl Tremarco

• Ross Draper

• James Vincent

• David Raven

• Daniel Devine

• Ali Sutherland

• Liam Polworth

• Lewis Horner 

• Calum Ferguson

• Cammy Mackay

• Nat Wedderburn

Out of contract:

• Nick Ross

• Tarmo Kink

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Development Squad players available for this season (2015-16):

• Calum Howarth

• Jason Brown  

• Jaime Wilson  

• Kane Hull

• Struan McArthur 

• Blair MacLennan 

• Chris Brown

• Stephen Rennie 

• Chris Blackett

• Daniel Hoban (goalkeeper) 

• Alasdair Stark  

• Andrew Macrae

Personally I'd like the club to look at extending deals for the likes of Draper and Christie now.

Whilst we'd probably be due compensation if Christie left I wouldn't want to lose Draper for nothing next summer if we can help it. He deserves another year extension also.

Maybe wait a few months and then tie up Brill as well. I'd like to see the club be more proactive with tying down key players entering their last year.

Aside from that our current squad is more or less all tied up. I'd like Ross to stay. I would love to see him become a regular next term.

As I said earlier on Kink, I really have nothing to go on except the management teams judgement. So if they think he's worth it then that's ok by me.

I'd like another striker to sign as well though.

Devine has just extended a year so he's not going to sign another soon.

I'd like to see Doran and Williams have 2 years instead of one but I think with a relatively small budget you have to priorities who is on longer deals. If it was my choice Christie and Draper would be my first choice. Normally Brill too but if I have to be cold and business like it would be better to see how he recovers from a serious injury first. If he proves he's ok then give him the deal.

I wouldn't say Doran or Williams are key or high end promising players. They're important admittedly, but if we could only afford 2 they would not be the 1st 2 given priority in early deal extensions IMHO.

Getting the management signed up also needs to be looked at but manager contracts don't really have the same protecting for clubs players do. They can leave when they want, whether a new deal is signed or not.