Contract Situation

Sneckboy

8 hours ago, qwerty11 said:

Interestingly, they are (or at least were until Draper and Warren's new deals) our two highest paid players...

Source for this? Not doubting you but intrigued nonetheless!

Edited by RiG

2 hours ago, RiG said:

Source for this? Not doubting you but intrigued nonetheless!

Don't want to state exact source but from a couple of people inside the club. This info is actually about a year old now, so as I say, new contracts may mean that it's no longer true. Chris Hogg was the top earner alongside Foran before he left, also. 

1 hour ago, qwerty11 said:

Don't want to state exact source but from a couple of people inside the club.

Sorry, not dismissing the validity but with vague statements like that it could be a cleaner and someone in the pie shop. So many posters on here have 'sources in the club' - if these sources are so happy to discuss and divulge confidential information relating to players contracts or terms of employment then they obviously have no respect for their position, employer or colleagues confidentiality so may as well just be completely public with the information - unless of course its hear-say and conjecture?

If Warren is highest paid its deserved, he has been leader and captain of our most successful team and acted in a highly professional manner - easily displaying attributes to make him successful at a higher level. In life people either get paid a) what they are worth or b) what they ask for - often these are not the same, hopefully the club behaves in the manner of a) and everyone is paid based on what they can contribute and represent good value - running an organisation with the structure of option b) wont be sustainable very long!!

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, bdu98196 said:

Sorry, not dismissing the validity but with vague statements like that it could be a cleaner and someone in the pie shop. So many posters on here have 'sources in the club' - if these sources are so happy to discuss and divulge confidential information relating to players contracts or terms of employment then they obviously have no respect for their position, employer or colleagues confidentiality so may as well just be completely public with the information - unless of course its hear-say and conjecture?

If Warren is highest paid its deserved, he has been leader and captain of our most successful team and acted in a highly professional manner - easily displaying attributes to make him successful at a higher level. In life people either get paid a) what they are worth or b) what they ask for - often these are not the same, hopefully the club behaves in the manner of a) and everyone is paid based on what they can contribute and represent good value - running an organisation with the structure of option b) wont be sustainable very long!!

I understand what you're saying. I was just trying to contribute to the discussion. Apologies. To be totally honest, I thought it was almost common knowledge that Foran and Doran were/are the top earners. 

2 hours ago, 12th Man said:

I have it on good authority that people usually post what they want and people usually take it or leave it.

The highest earner at the club was a good few years ago now, he was a rocket, man.

And a pinball wizard to boot 

Decided to come up with a leaving the club/out of contract/loan ending XI with substitutes.  Quite concerning how many attack-minded players we could end up losing this summer.

Fon Williams

Horner Devine Wedderburn Raven

Mutombo Polworth Roberts

Doran Fisher Storey 

Subs - Brill, Vincent, D.Williams, Ferguson, Brown, Hughes, R.Williams

• Agree 2

http://stv.tv/sport/football/1348421-liam-polworth-can-make-his-own-mind-up-over-ict-future-says-hughes/

I see Hughes is attempting to encourage Polworth to make his own mind up over this new contract offer rather than taking advice from any agent.

ICTChris made a good point on Twitter - why is this kind of stuff being discussed in the public domain so freely? Seems a bit chaotic to be washing our dirty laundry in public so frequently these days. Is it some kind of attempt to use reverse psychology on players to get them to sign new deals?

4 hours ago, DoofersDad said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/35940884

This doesn't help either.  Also it looks as though Hughes is resigned to losing Storey at the end of the season.

That's bordering on unprofessional. I really don't want to hear things like that from our manager, why would anyone sign for us upon hearing something like that? It's hardly the most attractive thing for a prospective signing to hear.

'Please sign for us but should warn you that we're struggling to sign anyone elselse so you might be the only player we have and we'll probably be crap next season'

• Agree 5

16 hours ago, Hiro said:

That's bordering on unprofessional. I really don't want to hear things like that from our manager, why would anyone sign for us upon hearing something like that? It's hardly the most attractive thing for a prospective signing to hear.

'Please sign for us but should warn you that we're struggling to sign anyone elselse so you might be the only player we have and we'll probably be crap next season'

I agree.

Theres a fine line between creating a siege mentality forming a close knit team and just completely selling your club short and i think unfortunately John Hughes is falling completely into the latter right now and selling our club well short.

He's either intentionally or hopefully unintentionally bordering on complete blatant disrepect to the club and has been for a while now.

• Agree 6

6 hours ago, Scarlet Pimple said:

Just one thought...is he , in his opinion, trying to be truthful?

Or just stating facts as he sees them because he thinks he needs to say something?

I think he is being honest actually, in response to losing two of our better players...although with Vincent's injury record less of a miss perhaps, no matter how grateful I am for his cup final goal. I can see a lot of frustration in Hughes comments, he has virtually no money to play with. The suggestion that we are interested in two Partick Thistle players is probably just a smokescreen to molify the fans. We hardly ever sign anyone from the Scottish leagues, Wedderburn, is the highest placed player we have signed form Scotland for a while, before that it was probably Andrew Shinnie following Rangers travails. He is right in terms of spending power we are probably in the bottom two in the SPFL, and that comment is aimed at managing expectations. Let's be honest in a league that is hardly known for eye-catching signings from outside its own league, Inverness are shopping at the 4th and 5th level of the English leagues, usually for players at dead ends of their careers.... and on pretty low wages probably (and usually short contracts). If any of them look half decent and do well in our league, they get hoovered up by the 10 teams above us in the spending power league

Which makes our record in the SPFL and Cup's even more impressive

Can't see it changing without a rich investor (and I haven't won the lottery yet!).... so we need to do more with bringing youngsters through. We also need to shape our contracts better so that we actually get transfer fees from sales

• Agree 3

With you all the way on that post E4C. Frustration showing through. The circumstances he has had to manage through this season have been horrendous.

Finishing on a high last season was the time to take a gamble and go all out for new investment and a strengthening of quality within the squad.

Hughes and Price will take the stick for this season unfortunately but the fault really is somewhere within executive source. Club management or the boardroom.

Time for them to look inwards and have a complete rethink on what should be done for the good and future of our Club.

We have proved what we are capable of but we have not capitalised on it. 

If we want to not lose out on players, we should be doing 2 things in my opinion. 

Firstly, we should be looking to develop as much of our own talent as possible. 

Secondly, we need to become more savvy contract wise. If a player is on a three year deal, we should be looking to extend that in year 2. If we can't, we should be considering whether it would be better just to sell that player with a year to go, rather than let them go for nothing at the end of the third year. 

Our other managers have had to put up with the same conditions yet manage to make signings. I understand his frustration but his signings are questionable and why are they all midfielders? He seems to think if he signs midfielders they can cover in defence and up front but they can't. Both Falkirk and Hibs fans have said he's terrible in the transfer market and I really fear for this summer. Is our scouting team the clubs or Yogis pick? A relative of another player told me Raven will be leaving - this is a player that was asking for a new contract this year.

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, HawkeyeTheGnu said:

If we want to not lose out on players, we should be doing 2 things in my opinion. 

Firstly, we should be looking to develop as much of our own talent as possible. 

Secondly, we need to become more savvy contract wise. If a player is on a three year deal, we should be looking to extend that in year 2. If we can't, we should be considering whether it would be better just to sell that player with a year to go, rather than let them go for nothing at the end of the third year. 

4 minutes ago, sneckfan said:

Our other managers have had to put up with the same conditions yet manage to make signings. I understand his frustration but his signings are questionable and why are they all midfielders? He seems to think if he signs midfielders they can cover in defence and up front but they can't. Both Falkirk and Hibs fans have said he's terrible in the transfer market and I really fear for this summer. Is our scouting team the clubs or Yogis pick? A relative of another player told me Raven will be leaving - this is a player that was asking for a new contract this year.

Agree with these points. Has Hughes really had to work with a reduced budget? If so why has it been reduced after such a profitable season or two? if it hasn't our relatively small budget never stopped other managers getting folk in. At the end of the day, regardless of the circumstances our dealings in the transfer market have been bizarre. We've needed at least one striker for over a year now when we only had Mckay up front. For some puzzling reason Hughes has continued to sign rakes of midfielders for the side and then, erm, never play them most of them.I sympathise with his financial restrictions but his constant whinging about it is tiresome when a lot of the problems we have are partly down to his suspect moves in the transfer market and also the clubs odd approach to contract talks. 

• Agree 3

I'd like to see us sign George Hunter. He's currently out on loan at Airdrie from St Johnstone. RiG asks a good question about the budget - where has the money gone? With  the 1/2m for Christie we should be able to bring in new signings? 

Everything boils down to money. We have to have a first team squad and we have to have a development squad. Four or five years ago our average player wage was suggested as being around £700 a week. Now its being reported at over £1,000. The club income has remained pretty much the same over the years but the costs have risen.

I'm inclined to think that cash is also the reason why contracts are as they are. Each time a player is offered a new contract there will likely be an increase in wage, a signing on fee and maybe even an agents fee to be agreed and paid. If a club is working hand to mouth, with no cash in the bank, as I think we are then that money is not always available. I'm also inclined to think maybe the chairman doesn't want to make offers until he can work out the projected budget for next year. To do that he needs to see what position we finish this term.

The club is competing with County for fans and sponsorship in an area where there's not any big industry with loads of cash in their advertising budgets and unless a rich sugar daddy comes along with unlimited funds then I think there are two choices for survival. 1. We continue as we are and make the best of what we've got or 2. We become the first top league part time team in the country. Second choice does not bear thinking about.

• Agree 1