Contract Situation

Sneckboy

15 minutes ago, RiG said:

But none of us are football managers who are expected to at least have some nous in the transfer market. That is part of John Hughes's job and it is not something which he has excelled at since he came to the club. Hughes has been backed by the board better than any ICT manager in history and yet his dealings in the transfer market can be described as, at best, poor. It doesn't exactly inspire you to believe that he can replace someone like Raven if / when he leaves in the summer.

It's puzzling that you seem so willing to overlook this without even a second thought.

Well there you go.... let's just sack him now then.... clearly the man that won us our first piece of major silverware and took us into Europe for the first time is uninspiring and really not fit for purpose..... or have you overlooked this without a second thought?

Hughes has said himself that we as a club can only afford to sign rocks and try polish them into diamonds.... when you are doing things like that your success rate is going to be small.... not every signing is going to work out. 

Lopez for example..... What a first touch he had, and clearly the vision to pick a pass was there.... I can understand why Hughes signed him, he saw huge potential and if I'm honest so did I first couple games, but it just wasn't meant to be, he didn't quite fit the way you would of hoped.

The best managers and clubs in the world don't get it right from time to time, Man Utd with Falcao and Di Maria, Chelsea and Torres, Liverpool and Carroll and the list goes on and on and on. Are these managers all to blame? 

• Agree 2
  • Disagree 1

12 minutes ago, ThorburnGolf said:

Well there you go.... let's just sack him now then.... clearly the man that won us our first piece of major silverware and took us into Europe for the first time is uninspiring and really not fit for purpose..... or have you overlooked this without a second thought?

Hughes has said himself that we as a club can only afford to sign rocks and try polish them into diamonds.... when you are doing things like that your success rate is going to be small.... not every signing is going to work out. 

Lopez for example..... What a first touch he had, and clearly the vision to pick a pass was there.... I can understand why Hughes signed him, he saw huge potential and if I'm honest so did I first couple games, but it just wasn't meant to be, he didn't quite fit the way you would of hoped.

The best managers and clubs in the world don't get it right from time to time, Man Utd with Falcao and Di Maria, Chelsea and Torres, Liverpool and Carroll and the list goes on and on and on. Are these managers all to blame? 

Okay, well, I've not called for him to be sacked, or said he is uninspiring or fit for purpose here but feel free to carry on with your reductio ad absurdum if you so wish.

We're not just talking about the ability of individual players here though. It's the approach to the players we are signing like the copious amounts of midfielders we have when we've been needing at least one other striker for over a year. I'm not disputing that some players don't work out. We saw it a lot under Butcher as well where players would arrive and leave within a year, mostly loan signings. But as has been mentioned already Hughes has significantly under performed in his dealings in the transfer market. Both in the quality of the players he has brought in but also the 'types' of players he has signed. The wrong areas of the team have been reinforced over the last few months.

And yes, if a player flops then the manager is largely responsible for that. I'm not for one moment saying that Hughes is the only manager to have signed a duffer (look at some of the guff Ferguson signed at Man United like Djemba-Djemba, Kleberson and Bebe (without even seeing him play by all accounts) but, as far as his signings at ICT go, they have been poor and I find it surprising that some posters are so ready to just overlook this.

• Agree 3

41 minutes ago, RiG said:

Okay, well, I've not called for him to be sacked, or said he is uninspiring or fit for purpose here but feel free to carry on with your reductio ad absurdum if you so wish.

We're not just talking about the ability of individual players here though. It's the approach to the players we are signing like the copious amounts of midfielders we have when we've been needing at least one other striker for over a year. I'm not disputing that some players don't work out. We saw it a lot under Butcher as well where players would arrive and leave within a year, mostly loan signings. But as has been mentioned already Hughes has significantly under performed in his dealings in the transfer market. Both in the quality of the players he has brought in but also the 'types' of players he has signed. The wrong areas of the team have been reinforced over the last few months.

And yes, if a player flops then the manager is largely responsible for that. I'm not for one moment saying that Hughes is the only manager to have signed a duffer (look at some of the guff Ferguson signed at Man United like Djemba-Djemba, Kleberson and Bebe (without even seeing him play by all accounts) but, as far as his signings at ICT go, they have been poor and I find it surprising that some posters are so ready to just overlook this.

Okay I'll give you that, we probably have signed too many midfielders, but given the way Hughes plays with only one up top normally there wasn't too much need to sign strikers with Storey performing well, Lopez (Granted he was pretty dire) was there as a back up first half of the season and we then signed Fisher for 2nd half, unfortunately he got injured. We don't really have the funds to have 3/4 first team strikers on the books if we only normally play one. if we have 5 midfielders starting each week then it's an area you do need serious cover and I can understand the strengthening here as Hughes see's it as the most important part of the side. Personally yeah I'd love to see a couple defenders come in, but I actually think Devine and Horner given some game time and a bit more experience will be great players for us.

JH quote in today's Inverness Courier.

"I'm talking to players and they're asking what's happening, what have we got coming in," he said. "I'll be honest, I thought Greg Tansey would have been well down the line by now. I'm really surprised we've not spoke to him"

Here we go again. JH having a snipe at KC and yesterday KC having a wee one at JH. This really is becoming playground stuff and the sooner JH and KC draw a line under their childish behaviour the better for this CLUB not their individual egos.

We need stability within this club and without it shut the bloody door and go do something else!

• Agree 1

"The players are getting renewed contracts and wage rises and it's a minefield. You fight your corner but there's an understanding from me that you have to be careful about what you do. I've seen Scottish football clubs that have overspent."

Sounds to me like he's getting a bit fed up of agents. Again I don't think this has anything to do with KC

I take it Calum Ferguson has been/is being released as I see he's not one of the U20s being offered a senior deal.  Probably could've come good but had some terrible injuries.

STV has just reported that the tension between Hughes and the Board is increasing and he could leave before the end of this week.

Edited by Robert

4 hours ago, Renegade said:

I take it Calum Ferguson has been/is being released as I see he's not one of the U20s being offered a senior deal.  Probably could've come good but had some terrible injuries.

Yes, Ferguson has been released. Really feel for him, definitely think he had the talent and work rate to make it at first team level. But as you say, injuries ruined any chance of a new contract. 

Also, if it hasn't been noted already: deals have been completed for Doran (2 years plus club option of extra year), Horner (1 year) and Fisher (6 months plus club option of extra year).

On 10/05/2016 at 11:29 AM, Sneckboy said:

Caley Thistle chairman frustrated to miss out on top six after increasing budget

Caley Thistle chairman Kenny Cameron is frustrated by his club’s failure to earn a top-six Premiership place given the extra money handed to manager John Hughes. The Highlanders have operated with the highest playing budget in the club’s history, but missed out on a top-half finish for the first time in four years.

Cameron said: “It’s been a very challenging season. We’ve had horrendous injuries from day one, but that’s not an excuse. We took more players in and backed the manager on that front, but things just haven’t clicked this season. We usually operate with a squad of 18. This season it was 25 or 26, so the manager has obviously had a fair bit more money. But these things happen. All in all it’s been a reasonable season, so if we can finish seventh we’ll be happy. We’re looking forward to next season and getting back into the top six. We’ll always look to be in the top six, so we’ll go from there and see where it takes us.”

Operating with barely enough players to also fill the sub bench for an entire season that including cups could be 46+ games long, isn't a formula for regular top six finishes. And it means that many of the 'subs' need to be utility players. Surely we need a squad of 22, to cover for long term injuries and suspensions.

It may well be a dig at Hughes, but to suggest the budget is big enough to get decent quality into the squad, when we barely afford any sort of fee, and our wages offer will also be pipped by most of the teams in our division is a bit disingenuous.... looks like the tension between Hughes and Cameron is coming to a head, and some posters will clearly be happy to see Hughes go....but as every Newcastle supporter now knows....be careful what you wish for!

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, qwerty11 said:

Yes, Ferguson has been released. Really feel for him, definitely think he had the talent and work rate to make it at first team level. But as you say, injuries ruined any chance of a new contract. 

Also, if it hasn't been noted already: deals have been completed for Doran (2 years plus club option of extra year), Horner (1 year) and Fisher (6 months plus club option of extra year).

If Ferguson is feeling down about this I hope he looks to GMS for inspiration, he couldn't even get signed by us because of injuries whilst on trial at Clach and look where he is now. 

10 hours ago, Robert said:

Also, no mention of Devine in the club statement. Does that have any significance?

Very good point. 3 players got extensions and only Vigurs and OFW still have contracts out to them, so I think we have to conclude that Devine declined an extension and has left.

He made 46 appearances in the season, just 1 behind OFW, due to the injuries to Warren and Meekings and then the fall out between Raven and Hughes. He's still young and could go on to be a good defender somewhere, but I always thought of him as the weakest link in the team. 

42 minutes ago, CaleyD said:

The club have a 1 year option on Danny Devine. No idea if that is/will be taken up, but it means they wouldn't need to make an offer...just activate said option.

The club statement of 28th April stated the club had made an offer to him and that his decision was imminent.  The latest statement makes no mention of him and that is a little bit concerning.

I don't know if a deadline has been set for Fon Williams to sign but I suspect he is holding out for a better offer from elsewhere on the back of his inclusion in the Welsh squad.  A recent interview with Dean Brill made it pretty clear he wanted to stay but that no offer had been made.  We could easily find Brill signs elsewhere and then Fon Williams rejects our offer.  With offers apparently still on the table to only Fon Williams and Vigurs (and possibly Devine) there is clearly still a lot of recruitment to be done.

On a brighter note, I am delighted with the news about Aaron Doran.  He was a big miss for us last season and he can get back to his former level and then push on, he will be a really important player for us.  Among all the shambles of other contract issues and the unseemly spat between manager and chairman, this is a bit of good news that deserves more recognition than it has received.  Good luck next season, Aaron - you deserve it!

• Agree 5

On 17/05/2016 at 8:53 PM, Renegade said:

I thought he already had a senior deal. Wasn't he signed at the same time as Polworth

This is not the first time that there has been a management feck up, perhaps not on this scale. This is not the first time that there has been a breakdown in relationship between manager and chairman. Hughes let himself down tactically and in adhering to a crazy style of play and this season adopting a Butcheresque management style. The way that you get more people through the turnstiles is to entertain not to bore.

Superb! Well done OFW. We've nearly got a team now. Just need a U-turn on Raven, a few more attack-minded players (Roberts + some new faces) and some back-up for the defence and midfield.

oh yes, and a management team...

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, PerfICT said:

Superb! Well done OFW. We've nearly got a team now. Just need a U-turn on Raven, a few more attack-minded players (Roberts + some new faces) and some back-up for the defence and midfield.

oh yes, and a management team...

Might be forgetting the most important ingredient too.. A goalscorer.

• Agree 2