Contract Situation

Sneckboy

With europe secured I imagine contracts will suddenly get pushed forward  - can't see players passing up european football to go anywhere unless that team have that already.

I appreciate that money talks though and with short careers you need to take the paying jobs like McKay. We all do it in our own careers.

Hopefully get Ofere locked down as although he's a few games that have been touch and go you can't argue with the goal record considering he wasn't match fit when he joined, surely only going to get better

• Agree 1

Update after Raven's contract extension.

Signed up until the end of season 2016-17:

• Gary Warren

• Richie Foran

• Greg Tansey

• Josh Meekings

Signed up until the end of next season (2015-16):

• John Hughes - Manager

• Russell Latapy - Assistant Manager

• Dean Brill

• Aaron Doran

• Danny Williams

• Ryan Esson

• Ryan Christie

• Carl Tremarco

• Ross Draper

• James Vincent

• David Raven

Signed up until the end of this season (2014-15):

• Daniel Devine

Graeme Shinnie (going to Aberdeen)

• Nick Ross

• Marley Watkins

• Liam Polworth

• Lewis Horner 

• Edward Ofere

• Ali Sutherland

• Calum Ferguson

• Tarmo Kink

• Cammy Mackay

• Jaime Wilson (Development Squad) 

• Kane Hull (Development Squad) 

• Jason Brown (Development Squad) 

• Struan McArthur (Development Squad) 

• Blair MacLennan (Development Squad) 

• Calum Howarth (Development Squad)

• Chris Brown (Development Squad) 

• Stephen Rennie (Development Squad) 

• Chris Blackett (Development Squad) 

• Daniel Hoban (goalkeeper) (Development Squad) 

• Ryan Baptie (Development Squad)

I'm essentially resigned to losing Watkins now, but I'm relieved that it looks like we have at least some chance of retaining Ross, Devine and Ofere.  I also wouldn't be against retaining Polworth for another season.  Can't see the reasoning behind retaining Horner and Kink though.  The former seldom makes the bench, while the other one looks rubbish!

I'm essentially resigned to losing Watkins now, but I'm relieved that it looks like we have at least some chance of retaining Ross, Devine and Ofere.  I also wouldn't be against retaining Polworth for another season.  Can't see the reasoning behind retaining Horner and Kink though.  The former seldom makes the bench, while the other one looks rubbish!

When we have good youth players like Ferguson and Sutherland why bother with kink  

When we have good youth players like Ferguson and Sutherland why bother with kink  

JH must see something in Kink.....I must confess the fleeting glimpses I've seen of him he has been really poor, but maybe that's because he's not yet had enough of a run out. I agree with the above posts: let's concentrate on getting Ofere, Devine, Ross, Polworth (no mention of him!) and the best of the Development Squad signed up.

On Kink, I remember very similar things being said on here about Billy Mckay and Adam Rooney in their first season with us. Give the guy a chance. It's encouraging to see we are still talking at this stage to all 7 players and no-one has had a "That's the best we can offer yet" as Butcher liked to tell the press when it was clear someone was leaving.

• Agree 2

Here's the article:

Caley Thistle manager John Hughes hopes qualifying for Europe can help convince his out-of-contract players to remain with the club.

Hughes is stepping up talks to keep the seven players whose deals expire in the summer, after Inverness secured Europa League football for next season with Saturday’s 1-0 win against Dundee.

Captain Graeme Shinnie has already signed a pre-contract with Premiership rivals Aberdeen, while midfielder Marley Watkins looks set to join him in leaving, with Barnsley, Hearts and Rangers reported to be interested.

However, Hughes has opened negotiations with midfielders Nick Ross, Lewis Horner and Liam Polworth, as well as defender Danny Devine, while he is also looking to keep attacker Edward Ofere and wide midfielder Tarmo Kink at Caledonian Stadium.

Caley Jags’ qualification for Europe for the first time in their 21-year history marks the club’s most successful season, with the chance to go one better by winning this month’s Scottish Cup final against Falkirk.

Hughes is hopeful Inverness’ ever-increasing reputation – coupled with the SPFL’s fresh sponsorship deal with Ladbrokes – boosts the prospects of keeping his squad intact.

Hughes said: “It’s a team game and we’re raising the profile of the club this season. I hope that might tempt one or two to stay, while maybe attracting one or two as well.

“We are trying to keep all the players who are out of contract.

“We are in negotiations, but we are going to sit down and look at Tarmo and Eddie. They’re not from Scotland, so we’ll need to find out the family situation.

“I need to sit down with the chairman, because the SPFL’s Ladbrokes deal certainly helps our budget. It’s the same as Celtic qualifying for the latter stages of a European competition.”

Hughes is also keen to add fresh faces to his squad and added: “It took us a while to get players in at Christmas time. Everything we’ve done has been really calculated.

“We had to sell our leading scorer Billy Mckay, who went to Wigan and doubled, or possibly trebled, his wages.

“That might be the same with one or two players who are out of contract now. But I don’t get frustrated too much because no one is bigger than the club.

“If players take that gamble, we need to find new heroes. That recruitment is ongoing as well.

“We owe it to the supporters, for them to see some new faces. We are trying to bring another one or two in.”

On Kink, I remember very similar things being said on here about Billy Mckay and Adam Rooney in their first season with us. Give the guy a chance. 

At least Mckay and Rooney, even when things weren't going their way, looked interested in the game.  Kink has been anonymous each time he's come on and the one appearance I did see him play 90 minutes in the U20s, he looked no better than some of the teenage players.  Going by his Wikipedia page, he hasn't played the equivalent of a season's worth of games since 2010 and I've a few comments from his time at Middlesbrough that suggest his lack of effort is a fairly regular occurrence.  Can't say I'd be shedding any tears if he left us.

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 1

I don't really know what to make of Tarmo Kink, mainly because of the lack apperances but what I've seen of him, it certainly looks like he was signed up to add up the numbers for the squad. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt but if he can't make the same impact that Edward Ofere has then he shouldn't really be kept on for next season in my opinion. I appreciate that money is tight and to get a higher calibre of player you need to splash the cash but I feel we are just wasting money on players like Kink and Horner just to sit on the bench and in the developmental team.

I agree with CaleyDawson, give the younger guys a chance.

Edited by ICTRoughi
  • Agree 1

Given the status of both players, I doubt Horner is on megabucks.  If anything, I wouldn't be surprised if he was the lowest paid player in the first team squad.  Could we say the same for Kink?  I actually wouldn't be surprised if he's one of the highest.

I seem to recall that in the case of players like 'Former Future World Player of the Year' Conor Pepper some of these guys were on buttons. Was Pepper not on £60 a week? Fair enough they get their digs paid for them but they certainly weren't well paid. Perhaps it's the same for folk like Horner?

EDIT: I'm sure it was a quote attributed to Butcher that said CP was getting £60 a week. Perhaps it was tongue in cheek.

Edited by RiG

I don't really know what to make of Tarmo Kink, mainly because of the lack apperances but what I've seen of him, it certainly looks like he was signed up to add up the numbers for the squad. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt but if he can't make the same impact that Edward Ofere has then he shouldn't really be kept on for next season in my opinion. I appreciate that money is tight and to get a higher calibre of player you need to splash the cash but I feel we are just wasting money on players like Kink and Horner just to sit on the bench and in the developmental team.

I agree with CaleyDawson, give the younger guys a chance.

Wow this must mean we should go with the youth if we both agree with each other.

I don't really know what to make of Tarmo Kink, mainly because of the lack apperances but what I've seen of him, it certainly looks like he was signed up to add up the numbers for the squad. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt but if he can't make the same impact that Edward Ofere has then he shouldn't really be kept on for next season in my opinion. I appreciate that money is tight and to get a higher calibre of player you need to splash the cash but I feel we are just wasting money on players like Kink and Horner just to sit on the bench and in the developmental team.I agree with CaleyDawson, give the younger guys a chance.

Wow this must mean we should go with the youth if we both agree with each other.

Well look at how much of an impact Ryan Christie made when brought in to the first team - same should apply to Ali Sutherland and Calum Ferguson at least.

Latest story in the Courier seems to suggest that Ofere is very keen to stay.  I think with a proper pre-season behind him and getting really up to full fitness he'd be excellent.

That story shows he is very clever .... he "wants" to stay (ergo he is a great lad in the fans eyes) but says its down to his agent and the club (absolving himself of any blame if it goes pear shaped). The agent will no doubt be trying to get the best deal he can for his client (and his own commission) so it may not happen. 

Would love to see him signed up if he is within our budget but not willing to break the bank for him !

• Agree 2

I hope we retain Baptie for another couple of seasons.  He's got potential.  Presume Ferguson will be kept on as well.

Baptie has been told he won't be offered a new contract.

- and a decision on Ferguson will be given next week.

Edited by qwerty11

I hope we retain Baptie for another couple of seasons. He's got potential. Presume Ferguson will be kept on as well.

Baptie has been told he won't be offered a new contract

The Baptie one is a shame as I thought he could have pushed for a place in the match day squad next season. IMHO one of the only bright spots for the Dev. Team this season.

I hope we retain Baptie for another couple of seasons. He's got potential. Presume Ferguson will be kept on as well.

Baptie has been told he won't be offered a new contract.

If that is true then a new Left back needs to be top of the shopping list for next season.

• Agree 1

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/pictures-check-out-scottish-football-5706067

Just seen this link of out of contract players in the premiership. Some of them could fit into our team IMO.

Defence:

Jeroen Tesselaar - a player on his day who was a decent left back when he played at St Mirren the first time round and also at Killie, now back at a dire St Mirren. Could be a good enough replacement for Graeme Shinnie

Joe Chalmers - Plays for Celtic and still fairly young, could be a decent young guy to be a back up for Carl Tremarco

Midfield:

Lionel Ainsworth - If Marley Watkins leaves the club in the summer then I would suggest Ainsworth as it would be like for like replacements

Dylan McGeouch - A decent player when I have seen him against our U20s a couple seasons back and couple times I've seen Hibs on the telly, he seems to have a good game. I reckon he could have the same impact Andrew Shinnie had to our team and it could be a decent option if Liam Polworth and Lewis Horner leave the club.

Kallum Higgenbotham - Another player who could be a useful replacement for Marley Watkins, Higgenbotham always seems to shine against us.

James McFadden - An experienced player who could benefit us in Europe and maybe the league too

Strikers:

Scott McDonald - Same as McFadden

Bob McHugh - Could be a decent option as he is only 23/24

I don't expect us to sign everyone I have just listed but if we signed a couple of these guys coupled with a loan or two from England then I'd be more than confident we could do well next season in Europe and the league.