Contract Situation

Sneckboy

You can offer a contract to someone ..... doesnt mean it will be signed or that the terms you offer will be agreed to. there are (at least) two sides to every contract negotiation. 

I would hope the club have offers on the table to all our soon-to-be out of contract players by now, and we are just not hearing about it ... if the likes of Polworth, Raven etc dont have something to consider then yes, the club is in the wrong.

As an aside - I have never been a fan of the 2 year deals the club always offered in the past, but i understood the rationale behind it (fearing the cost of relegation etc) so it is heartening to see that in the recent past - now that we might be considered as an established premiership side - that several longer deals have been offered to key players. This gives me hope that we can tie up more key members of the squad sooner rather than later. 

1 hour ago, Scotty said:

You can offer a contract to someone ..... doesnt mean it will be signed or that the terms you offer will be agreed to. there are (at least) two sides to every contract negotiation. 

I would hope the club have offers on the table to all our soon-to-be out of contract players by now, and we are just not hearing about it ... if the likes of Polworth, Raven etc dont have something to consider then yes, the club is in the wrong.

As an aside - I have never been a fan of the 2 year deals the club always offered in the past, but i understood the rationale behind it (fearing the cost of relegation etc) so it is heartening to see that in the recent past - now that we might be considered as an established premiership side - that several longer deals have been offered to key players. This gives me hope that we can tie up more key members of the squad sooner rather than later. 

You make a decent point, Scotty. However, I don't think we offer attractive enough packages to players. What I mean is, we may not be able to compete on wages with most of the teams around us, so let's offer longer contracts. Granted, that might not be what every player wants, but I'm sure many would like a bit of stability. In fairness, I thought we had headed down that road, which is why we've had a settled squad for a few years, but that's all changed this season (except for Tansey, Warren and Draper). The net effect is that we now have >20 players out of contract this season - County have gone the other way and have offered longer contracts and now have a stable team: they've only got 2 out of contract this year. I know which model I would prefer if I were a manager!

1 hour ago, PerfICT said:

You make a decent point, Scotty. However, I don't think we offer attractive enough packages to players. What I mean is, we may not be able to compete on wages with most of the teams around us, so let's offer longer contracts. Granted, that might not be what every player wants, but I'm sure many would like a bit of stability. In fairness, I thought we had headed down that road, which is why we've had a settled squad for a few years, but that's all changed this season (except for Tansey, Warren and Draper). The net effect is that we now have >20 players out of contract this season - County have gone the other way and have offered longer contracts and now have a stable team: they've only got 2 out of contract this year. I know which model I would prefer if I were a manager!

I have no idea about exact numbers, but its been reasonably well known in the past that ICT wages are on the low side but the bonuses are pretty good. (Another reason why we perhaps don't make as much from cup runs as some folk think but that's another subject). 

Personally I think 2 year contracts are mostly a waste of space as really its only a year and a bit because the player is free to talk to other clubs so soon. 3 year contracts (or longer) offer that much more stability, but also have some risk (mainly if you end up being relegated). In either case, you also have to deal with what the player wants or will agree to as some will indeed want a longer contract and some stability whereas others may want a shorter contract that can be negotiated more frequently or give them an opportunity to move on earlier or more easily. Its a minefield to say the least ... one which we have negotiated successfully at times but not so much at other times ......

4 hours ago, Libero said:

Given how many times we have lost talent and money by not having our players secured on long term contracts I find it amazing we are in the position where we could have yet another rebuilding job on our hands this summer :frustrated01:

Three reasons we are unable to sign up players on long term deals :-

Agents, Agents, Agents ! 

• Agree 2

Is it just me, but I am of the impression that the players who have signed up are more mature.

If so they must be seeking stability. And a longer term with ICT may well be, in their opinion, good for them because they are established and are relied upon to offer guidance and encouragement by example to all the younger players...especially as the latter may not have a family. 

Therefore, they could be thinking that they wioll be considered to be  of more use to the club as their strength and fitness start to diminish. Also they may feel that some kind of management post at the club would be very suitable to them in due course. The life of a player at any club can be short, to say the least andf that could be a fair strategy to follow/consider in their view. For all we know, top management at the club may have also considered these future routes for players and it has all been discussed already. Personally speaking, I hope so....!:wink:

Danny Williams and Carl Tremarco have been offered contract extensions.

https://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/inverness-caledonian-thistle/825755/undefined-headline-1561/

Note also the comment by Hughes about some of our players being reluctant to sign up, preferring instead to keep their options open (ie find a better offer), which is understandable.

Strange though given David Raven's apparent pleas for a new deal, yet still yet to sign up.  Hope the rumours that Yogi doesn't rate him turn out to be false, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him to go...

No mention of an offer for Vincent, either. My guess is that both Raven and Vincent are not in favour, so will go (which will be a big loss IMO). It will be interesting to see who Williams chooses between Dundee and ourselves....more "convincing" required from Yogi!

PRESS RELEASE FROM CLUB

For Immediate Use

Carl Contract Confirmed

John Hughes continues to bolster his squad for next season with confirmation that Carl Tremarco has agreed a contract extension which takes him up until the Summer of 2017. 

Carl, a Liverpool lad, joined the Caley Jags in July 2013.  A highly experienced defender, his professional career began at Tranmere Rovers in 2003, making his debut in the FA Cup the same year. He stayed at Tranmere for five years, making 52 appearances before spending a year with Wrexham. Macclesfield Town signed him in June 2009 and he went on to make 89 appearances for them before going on loan to Malta. In his three seasons with the Caley Jags, so far, Carl has made close to 60 appearances and bagged himself a Scottish Cup medal along the way.

Carl said: “I’ve been discussing my contract for a little while and it’s good to get it sorted. I can now concentrate on my football and plan a bit more for the future. We’ve got a Scottish Cup match this weekend and the first aim is to get through that and try and move closer to another final

John Hughes said: “Carl is a great player with a great attitude and it’s good to get him signed up for another year.  There’s other players who we’ve also made offers too and hopefully we can get some more sorted soon.

12 minutes ago, Scotty said:

Carl has made close to 60 appearances and bagged himself a Scottish Cup medal  got himself sent off in the biggest game of his life :laugh:

Thankfully we can look back laugh about it, and I hope he can too. Who knows, we might not have won if it had stayed 11 v 11.

Glad to see he's staying with us for at least another season, and it gives him a chance to demonstrate to our fans that Greg Tansey is not actually "the only decent things to come from Liverpool".

• Agree 1

OK, so "core four" + a left back now signed for next season. Williams,Vincent and Raven would be my next targets - I wonder what's going to happen with Doran? I presume we can't do anything with Storey until he's no longer a Swindon player?

38 minutes ago, PerfICT said:

OK, so "core four" + a left back now signed for next season. Williams,Vincent and Raven would be my next targets - I wonder what's going to happen with Doran? I presume we can't do anything with Storey until he's no longer a Swindon player?

I'm not 100% sure on Storey, but I'm sure we can't do anything until Swindon decide to offer a deal of equal or greater value. And I think as far as I'm aware if they do and we want him we would have to pay some kind of development fee if he chose to reject that and come to us, whereby if they release him no fee would be involved. So I think it's a case of chess and waiting on Swindon's next move.

Development payments isn't/wouldn't be the issue with Miles.  I believe his club have a 1 year option (you know, the things that the breadmaker say aren't binding) which means we couldn't sign him on a pre contract.  There's probably some deadline by which his club would need to exercise that option (or not), so it may be possible to do something before the end of the season....but I'm not up to speed on that.

The football contract world is changing massively....and I don't think it will be for the better.  Football Associations are moving more towards only being interested that dates and eligibility are in order.....with anything beyond that (terms) being deemed a matter between clubs and players which they will not get involved with.

26 minutes ago, jagster said:

Would a development fee be payable? I thought it wasn't a cross border thing and only payable within your own country could be talking Keech though as per Tom Jones 'it's not unusual':amazed: 

If the former club does not offer the player a contract, no training

compensation is payable unless the former club can justify that it is

entitled to such compensation. The former club must offer the player

a contract in writing via registered post at least 60 days before the

expiry of his current contract. Such an offer shall furthermore be at

least of an equivalent value to the current contract. This provision is

without prejudice to the right to training compensation of the player’s

previous club(s).

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederation/administration/regulations_on_the_status_and_transfer_of_players_en_33410.pdf

Its all very complex and I'm not exactly sure how it works, but reckon Swindon would have to agree to release.

• Agree 1

Signed until the end of season (2018-19):
• Gary Warren
• Ross Draper

Signed until the end of season (2017-18):
• John Hughes - Manager
• Brian Rice - Assistant Manager

• Ryan Esson

Signed until the end of next season (2016-17):

• Richie Foran

• Greg Tansey

• Josh Meekings
• Carl Tremarco

Signed until the end of this season (2015-16):

• Dean Brill

• Aaron Doran

• Danny Williams

• James Vincent

• David Raven

• Danny Devine

• Ali Sutherland (on loan at Brora Rangers)

• Liam Polworth

• Lewis Horner 

• Calum Ferguson

• Cammy Mackay

• Nat Wedderburn

• Jordan Roberts

• Owain Fon Williams

• Andrea Mbuyi-Mutombo

• Iain Vigurs
• Alex Fisher
• Ryan Williams
• Liam Hughes

On loan until the end of this season (2015-16):
• Miles Storey (from Swindon Town)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Development Squad players available for this season (2015-16):

• Calum Howarth

• Jason Brown  

• Jaime Wilson  

• Kane Hull (on loan at Fort William)

• Struan McArthur 

• Blair MacLennan 

• Chris Brown

• Stephen Rennie (on loan at Fort William)

• Chris Blackett

• Daniel Hoban (goalkeeper) 

• Alasdair Stark  

• Andrew Macrae

• Cameron Gilchrist

I like Raven I think although not at his best he gives all his got. It is obvious that he is not one of Hughes favourites, To be dragged all the way across the field after we scored our first goal in the cup replay to receive pelters from Hughes was a bit much.

That aside I wonder who started the unrest within the players side, could it have been an interest in a Dundee side that may have started it? It doesn' t say much for morale if the manager is interested in greener pastures. The board seem a bit slow also in the contract side of things, although I suppose they need to weigh up how we are going to finish the end of the season on a high or low.

Hopefully we can do the business to-day at Motherwell and all will be forgotten.

On 2/5/2016 at 1:39 PM, PerfICT said:

No mention of an offer for Vincent, either. My guess is that both Raven and Vincent are not in favour, so will go (which will be a big loss IMO). It will be interesting to see who Williams chooses between Dundee and ourselves....more "convincing" required from Yogi!

I have to agree with that, JH has his favourites and if youre not on the list youre just running out the clock. I expect Polworth to leave too.

• Disagree 1

Some awful speculation by some posters on this topic.

Who says there is unrest amongst the players?

Where is the evidence Hughes has favourites, Butcher and Brewster definitely did.

It looks lime more contracts have been offered to players so let's just wait and see who else signs up.

• Agree 2

23 minutes ago, Huisdean said:

Some awful speculation by some posters on this topic.

Who says there is unrest amongst the players?

Where is the evidence Hughes has favourites, Butcher and Brewster definitely did.

It looks lime more contracts have been offered to players so let's just wait and see who else signs up.

All managers have favourites: Hard grafters for some, flair players for others, characters in the dressing room, rock hard tacklers etc etc. Managers are human and also tend to favour a particular style and type of player. There is little evidence for Hughes not favouring Raven, except the odd b@ll@cking form the touchline, substitutions in games and a spell on the bench, but Raven (for the second year running has gone public in saying that he'd love to stay. For the second year running, it hasn't been plain sailing, so he's either asking for megabucks or he's not top of Yogi's priorities. As for Vincent, my gut feeling is that he was the target for the injury jibe from Hughes. No evidence, just speculation. Both would be a massive loss.

• Agree 1