Old Highland League days....

Tichy_Blacks_Back

Great photos. As an ex-Jaggie I appreciate seeing those as most of them are new to me!

Regarding the first photo from 1950 - I don't know any of the names - a bit before my time - my first trip to Kingsmills was 1982. Tichy Black's era!

However there's a team-photo on invernessthistle.co.uk in the gallery from 1951 with names included. You'll be aware of that already, I'm sure!

Do you know what happened to the similarly named website invernessthistlefc.co.uk ? It's not accessible any longer. Simply an expiry of the domain name or something?

At least there's still one designated Inverness Thistle website available! It's important to preserve the history. I spoke to a young ICT fan at a game a few years ago and he didn't realise that his team was the amalgamation of two former sides from the town...I kid you not! He obviously doesn't read this forum! :lol:

Davie Reid.... legend! That would have been round about 1964-65 or thereby. I do have so many happy memories of Highland League football and enjoy continuing them whenever possible. That's usually at Grant Street these days but I'm hoping to get to the ICT Old Boys' battle - Fridge v Wilson at Nairn tomorrow.

The photo in post #5 must be in the very latter days of Thistle, partly because I can see Henrik there with (I think) Alan MacDonald and Kevin Sweeney on his left. Then there's the kit which I think was launched in 1992 because I remember being at the official launch in the Haughdale with the most phenomenal buffet! That, I think, was during the short time that Ian Davidson was commercial manager when he also set up a lottery-type enterprise like the Caley Centenary Club and the Clach Capital Club (TBB - can you remember the name?). I think the change strip, the alternative to black and red in that design,was green with white by the way.

Edited by Charles Bannerman

Great photos. As an ex-Jaggie I appreciate seeing those as most of them are new to me!

Regarding the first photo from 1950 - I don't know any of the names - a bit before my time - my first trip to Kingsmills was 1982. Tichy Black's era!

However there's a team-photo on invernessthistle.co.uk in the gallery from 1951 with names included. You'll be aware of that already, I'm sure!

Do you know what happened to the similarly named website invernessthistlefc.co.uk ? It's not accessible any longer. Simply an expiry of the domain name or something?

At least there's still one designated Inverness Thistle website available! It's important to preserve the history. I spoke to a young ICT fan at a game a few years ago and he didn't realise that his team was the amalgamation of two former sides from the town...I kid you not! He obviously doesn't read this forum! :lol:

The other web-site was put together by my wife quite a few years ago as part of a course assignment. She was looking for a topic so I suggested the Jaggies. There was a problem with the content and then the host so it has not gone back on line yet. In reality it needed a bit of a revamp anyway and is on the list of things to do.

• Agree 1

Davie Reid.... legend! That would have been round about 1964-65 or thereby. I do have so many happy memories of Highland League football and enjoy continuing them whenever possible. That's usually at Grant Street these days but I'm hoping to get to the ICT Old Boys' battle - Fridge v Wilson at Nairn tomorrow.

The photo in post #5 must be in the very latter days of Thistle, partly because I can see Henrik there with (I think) Alan MacDonald and Kevin Sweeney on his left. Then there's the kit which I think was launched in 1992 because I remember being at the official launch in the Haughdale with the most phenomenal buffet! That, I think, was during the short time that Ian Davidson was commercial manager when he also set up a lottery-type enterprise like the Caley Centenary Club and the Clach Capital Club (TBB - can you remember the name?). I think the change strip, the alternative to black and red in that design,was green with white by the way.

Charles -  No date on that Caley-Thistle cutting so no info sorry - before my time though. It is near the end - Allan and Kev and Ian Polworth in the tracksuit top next to them. No idea about the lottery as I was already away and missed the last few years and the great debacle. 

I think that kit may have been the Umbro one (or maybe Matchwinner). Several years ago I spoke to the guy who now runs the Matchwinner kit and he had no idea that they provided them for the Jags. Another of those company names that was bought out and the history had been lost with the new men coming in. Sound familiar.... 

post-191-0-29028100-1384550335.jpg

Charles -  No date on that Caley-Thistle cutting so no info sorry - before my time though. It is near the end - Allan and Kev and Ian Polworth in the tracksuit top next to them. No idea about the lottery as I was already away and missed the last few years and the great debacle. 

I think that kit may have been the Umbro one (or maybe Matchwinner). Several years ago I spoke to the guy who now runs the Matchwinner kit and he had no idea that they provided them for the Jags. Another of those company names that was bought out and the history had been lost with the new men coming in. Sound familiar...

TBB - it was the Matchwinner kit, launched, I think, in the spring of 1992. I certainly remember Mark Mitchell, one of the Thistle Rebels (Jags weren't too genteel to have them as well!) appearing in the grren away kit when the Wick Academy boys were loading up their lorry with the Thistle enclosure which they'd bought, and wishing them the very best of luck in very emotional terms.

And I've remembered the name of the lottery - The Jags Premier Club, which unfortunately found it difficult to get off the ground in competition to Caley's and Clach's well established equivalents. This led, at the merger, for it to be claimed that Caley had 70% of the assets, 80% of the members (after massive recruitment!) and 90% of the fundraising capacity.

I think that kit may have been the Umbro one (or maybe Matchwinner). Several years ago I spoke to the guy who now runs the Matchwinner kit and he had no idea that they provided them for the Jags. Another of those company names that was bought out and the history had been lost with the new men coming in. Sound familiar...

TBB - it was the Matchwinner kit, launched, I think, in the spring of 1992. I certainly remember Mark Mitchell, one of the Thistle Rebels (Jags weren't too genteel to have them as well!) appearing in the grren away kit when the Wick Academy boys were loading up their lorry with the Thistle enclosure which they'd bought, and wishing them the very best of luck in very emotional terms.

And I've remembered the name of the lottery - The Jags Premier Club, which unfortunately found it difficult to get off the ground in competition to Caley's and Clach's well established equivalents. This led, at the merger, for it to be claimed that Caley had 70% of the assets, 80% of the members (after massive recruitment!) and 90% of the fundraising capacity.

post-191-0-13717800-1384714603.jpg

Edited by Tichy_Blacks_Back