Old Highland League days....

Tichy_Blacks_Back

I think that Jeggies had to wear them for incontinence reasons.

Which is why, outwith the circle of toffs who normally wore them, they used to be called "sh*te catchers".

By the way I have a feelng that the W. Urquhart in that last photo is Willie Urquhart, Billy's dad who also used to play for Clyde when they were a force to be reckoned with. I only knew Willie much later than that but the resemblance seems quite strong and I do believe that Willie played for Thistle.

IHE will be delighted that Caley's most prolific goalscorer is of Jeggie ancestry!

• Agree 1

O.K IHE who is the fine -looking gentleman in the kilt? Then we will know.

Maybe it was a relative of Charles and he is just teasing us ..... :wave:

It is Sir John Macleod MP for Ross-Shire for many years. A great and very generous man.  He was a prisoner of war in WWII.  

Was married to one of the Wills' daughters of WD & HO Wills fame.

• Agree 1

Didn't that firm produce and sell Wills Whiffs?

Thank you Sneckboy for that excellent explanation. To think I have waited all my life to satisfy my curiosity about + Fours and now you have made my day. This I will not forget. You now have one chance to insult me without retaliation..ha! :crazy:

• 3 weeks later...

Great stuff IHE!!

Top photo - Telford St Park and surroundings. Judging by the general sparsity of buildings on Telford St and the top of Fairfield Rd, this will be a pretty old photo and the old stand in the football ground tells us that it's at least pre-1950 since that was when that stand burned down. Indeed this may be even older since the Muirtown Bridge doesn't look at all like the current one which was built, like its twin at Torvean, in the mid 1930s. Interesting to see both distilleries there and an extremely quiet looking Muirtown Basin.

Bottom photo - Kingsmills Park and surroundings. Again this is a pretty old photo, given the sparsity of buildings on MacEwen Drive and Broadstone Avenue and there is no stand there yet. The interior of the park itself looks in quite a bit of disarray and there are neither goals nor wear where you would expect the goal areas to be. That suggests that this photo MAY date from during or immediately after the war, since Kingsmills Park hosted a succession of military units during hostilities. Indeed immediately after the war, a boy was killed there when an item of ordnance which had not been disposed of by the military blew up when kids were playing there. Among the injured was Bill Reid who in 1990 became a director of Clach. Also, if you look carefully just left of centre you will see three Nissen huts in the angle of Argyle St and Southside Rd, roughly where Argyle Court now is. The photo also gives a rare view (well to most of us at least!) of what the inside of the prison looks like and I'm quite amazed at how broad Argyle St and Hill St look since thwy are actually far too narrow for modern traffic.