Old Highland League days....

Tichy_Blacks_Back

I was at that Caley - Leicester game, but have no recollection of it being on a Monday night...and in March! I would have sworn it had been a Saturday pre-season fixture!  Gary Lineker in the visiting squad! Granted, it was just before he hit the big-time, but he must surely be the 'highest profile' player to have graced the old Telford Street. (opening a can of worms with that claim!)

I was at that Caley - Leicester game, but have no recollection of it being on a Monday night...and in March! I would have sworn it had been a Saturday pre-season fixture!  Gary Lineker in the visiting squad! Granted, it was just before he hit the big-time, but he must surely be the 'highest profile' player to have graced the old Telford Street. (opening a can of worms with that claim!)

I have vague recollections of that game, Leicester City won 4-0 and I remember it being played in sunshine, so maybe the match had been cancelled and then rescheduled for later in the year. I have my own copy of this matchday programme somewhere.

That was a Leicester team that had internationals and a few well known names of the time, Goalkeeper Mark Wallington, John O'Neil (N Ire International), Paul Ramsey (N. Ire International) who later in his career played for St. Johnstone, not sure if he was in the team that played Caley in the Scottish Cup 1992 though. Bobby Smith signed from Hibs, Alan Smith (prolific goalscorer, played a dozen games for England) I think he scored two of the goals against us. Gary Lineker of course, Steve Lynex a pacy winger who gave us a roasting and I think scored one, Aberdeen born midfielder Ian Wilson who played a handful of games for Scotland (later managed Peterhead)

This fixture had something to do with Leicester City's midfielder Kevin MacDonald who born in Inverness played a few games for Caley in the mid seventies and was considered a very good prospect then. Imagine the clubs from the top two leagues in England searching the Highland League for future talent these days.

You could be right about the highest profile player ever to have played at Telford Street.

• Agree 1

Old Tinks but good team

image.jpg

The backdrop and the MacLean Sports shirt logos suggest that this would be a Ross County team. Back left looks like Stevie Polson although I didn't know Stevie played for County, back third from left is Jim Oliver, front second from right is Duffers. One or two more are vaguely familiar. I could guess that the date might be latish 80s - maybe even round about the time in 1987 that County almost collapsed completely and went amateur for a while.

Old Tinks but good team

image.jpg

Musta been from before CB jumped on the football bandwagon..appalling lack of knowledge for a so-called football 'journalist'.

Ah'm no County fan, but even I can name a few--Albert Allan, Jim Oliver, Hamish Morrison (played for Caley, ye heard of them), Herchie (ffs), some guy Walter Brown ah think (wee Glasgow guy at the front, good player), Duffers and Davie Jackson (also played for that Telford Street team).

And no, it's not Stevie Polson ffs.

Edited by dougiedanger
  • Agree 2

"After the match, argue at Diggar's":lol: the ad says. How true! Many a time I sat patiently waiting for a haircut and trying to read the Beano while Diggar was arguing with somebody in the shop...or selling football coupons... or going out on the street to shout at John Brooman as he went past...or anything other than cutting hair!

Old Tinks but good team

image.jpg

Musta been from before CB jumped on the football bandwagon..appalling lack of knowledge for a so-called football 'journalist'.

Ah'm no County fan, but even I can name a few--Albert Allan, Jim Oliver, Hamish Morrison (played for Caley, ye heard of them), Herchie (ffs), some guy Walter Brown ah think (wee Glasgow guy at the front, good player), Duffers and Davie Jackson (also played for that Telford Street team).

And no, it's not Stevie Polson ffs.

Good point well made Danger

We should maybe start a thread on the workings of the Bunsen burner or the breakdown of the periodic table. I personally am not that qualified to discuss the topic in depth but I can certainly post some inane comments 

Dougal

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...