Old Highland League days....

Tichy_Blacks_Back

On 9/29/2018 at 11:20 AM, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

Another Select - A BETTER one ?

SELECT.jpg

I recongnise Billy MacDonald, Rocky Corbett, Billy (The Legend) Urquhart and Ray MackIntosh. The fella sitting in Bottom Left has a familiar look about him

58 minutes ago, SMEE said:

This must have been before my time. I dont recognise any. Then again, for the most part, i only really recognise old Caley players, from about 1978 onwards

Back row, 2nd from right, Murd Urquhart.   Middle row, 2nd from left, looks like Kevin McDonald.

So, first half of the 70s - 1974 or thereabouts?

Hope no one walked on that floor with metal studs :redcard:

• 4 months later...
On 2/11/2016 at 4:30 AM, dougiedanger said:

That is a great film, the crowd just as entertaining as the game.

One thing I noticed: at 4.24-4.27 in the bottom of the shot there is a man who looks mixed-race and I was curious if anyone knew who that might be.

Don't suppose there were many non-whites in the town at the time.

I THINK his surname was KaKa (not sure of the spelling) who lived opposite 65 Caledonian Road in Dalneigh !

On 2/26/2016 at 7:11 AM, Charles Bannerman said:

I was at that game come to think of it! I think Caley must have got an early opener since I remember one waggish Jaggie (it might have been Dave Williamson) cracking up the whole stand with a shout of "Come on Jags - Caley are playing for time!"

One observation I'd have to make is that for an Inverness Derby cup final at an Inverness venue over 30 years ago between two teams both in quite successful periods of their history, the crowd does look a bit sparse. That's an observation which might challenge claims about crowd size in "the old days" although I do appreciate that far more attended for instance in the immediate post-war years.

Also, if that's all the joint crowd that could be assembled even for a big occasion as described..... then where did all these post-1994  "refuseniks" we keep getting told about actually come from?

I don't recognise the ground - where was that game played ?  That guy in Canada would agree with me, I'm sure, it was so good to hear the Inverness accents from the crowd (best English spoken in the World!) !

Hi Jock,

Why don't you thrill us all out here and come over for a wee holiday to the West Coast of Canada? Then on the way back you could call in to say "Hi " to Scotty--he's only 3,000 miles away?

It's a long way , me old fella, but a warm welcome would make quite a difference I am sure.

Me? I still speak with a semi Inverness accent but years of travelling round the world , i.e RAF National Service abroad, holidays  and now the North American continent, kind of blurs the words a wee bittie.

Right now we have an empty suite on the lower level of our home so you could choose which bedroom to use. Both look out on the back garden and I am sure we could find a mattress for you + hot and cold running water and pretty maids all in a row……..my goodness, thinking on it maybe you might want to stay permanently? :tongue:

On ‎3‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 4:55 AM, JockWatt said:

I don't recognise the ground - where was that game played ?  That guy in Canada would agree with me, I'm sure, it was so good to hear the Inverness accents from the crowd (best English spoken in the World!) !

Here is a clue - Grant Street Park

*IHE....Oh you are awful---but I like you!:mountie::mountie:  !       After youse gaes tae bed and taks aff yer wig tae sleep.. 

Jock and Scarlet, what a couple.  One toothless and the other brainless.

But loyalty trumps all. So I'm off tae chase the wifies and maybe have a ball. Whilst Jockie likes a pub crawl and I'm not upset at all. … :clapoverhead::bullshit:

• 1 month later...

An article that links an Inverness Thistle connection to one of this week's Champions league semi final pairings ?

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/a-victory-for-football-ajax-and-spurs-stick-two-fingers-up-to-the-super-league/1ne19tsbykvlj15id3jj9iioou

Edited by Tichy_Blacks_Back

On 4/29/2019 at 9:56 AM, snorbens_caleyman said:

OK, I give up.  :shrug:    Neither Spurs nor Thistle ever won the European Cup?   Thistle used Ajax to clean the team bath?

The Thistle fanzine was '24 Hours From Rotterdam'. Rotterdam is about an hour and a half in the train from Amsterdam where Ajax play. Or a bit less in a car. Or even less if you can borrow the chairman's helicopter. Also Rotterdam kind of rhymes with Tottenham.

On 11/14/2013 at 12:53 PM, Tichy_Blacks_Back said:

Inverness Thistle team 1950 - any guesses at names?

post-191-0-84342400-1384454047_thumb.jpg

post-191-0-38298700-1384489428_thumb.jpg

according to something that came in for a 'guest' viewer on the site ........ 

Fifth footballer from the left is a William A Morrison not J Morrison 

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...