Old Highland League days....

Tichy_Blacks_Back

The guy extreme front right, Willie Gray, was father of my best friend from school days. He played left wing. He went on to play for both Queens Park and Leicester City, before the war interrupted his career.   Lovely man, and a decent , single figure golfer, too.

I remember Willie Gray also. I was a young kid but recall a story of him golfing with Douglas Bader. He was pals with my grandfather and I never fully appreciated his Jaggie connections until I was a bit older.

• 4 weeks later...
20 hours ago, dougiedanger said:

I wonder how many players from either side our intrepid "football reporter" could name??

Chance to redeem himself from the "who's this guy Herchie" episode.:blink:

The complete silence alone and the failure to respond says it all

You might be interested I'm thinking of writing a book regarding athletics in the 1980s in particular the great rivalries between Seb Coe, Steve Ovett and Steve Cram in the 800m and 1500m

I will be honest I'm not an avid athletics man by any means but I'm sure if I tell everyone I'm an expert someone might believe me

Dougal

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, dougal said:

The complete silence alone and the failure to respond says it all

You might be interested I'm thinking of writing a book regarding athletics in the 1980s in particular the great rivalries between Seb Coe, Steve Ovett and Steve Cram in the 800m and 1500m

I will be honest I'm not an avid athletics man by any means but I'm sure if I tell everyone I'm an expert someone might believe me

Dougal

Indeed, a day's frantic googling and still could not tell his Owen Archdeacons from his Kevin Sweeneys.

Great idea for the book, how about calling it Against All Frauds.

• Agree 2

58 minutes ago, dougiedanger said:

Indeed, a day's frantic googling and still could not tell his Owen Archdeacons from his Kevin Sweeneys.

Great idea for the book, how about calling it Against All Frauds.

Oh goodness me! In the presence of that combined cerebral powerhouse which is dougiedanger and Dougal, I couldn't possibly comment. And in any case, not having any inclination to join that intrepid band which seems to spend its waking hours hanging about outside Celtic Park, what on earth makes anyone think I should be remotely interested in the identities of a Celtic team of around 30 years ago?

But if DD and Dougal feel that they would be perceived as better individuals by the world on the strength of naming the entire group - or that society would benefit from such a feat -  I would never want to stand in their way.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Charles Bannerman said:

Oh goodness me! In the presence of that combined cerebral powerhouse which is dougiedanger and Dougal, I couldn't possibly comment. And in any case, not having any inclination to join that intrepid band which seems to spend its waking hours hanging about outside Celtic Park, what on earth makes anyone think I should be remotely interested in the identities of a Celtic team of around 30 years ago?

But if DD and Dougal feel that they would be perceived as better individuals by the world on the strength of naming the entire group - or that society would benefit from such a feat -  I would never want to stand in their way.

As suspected, clueless.

• Agree 1

Well the one thing that I thought that would be noted and commented on would be the proliferation of "legends" from both sides. I would have initially highlighted the appearances of Charlie Christie, Mike Andrews, Brian Black, Davie Milroy dressed up as Fools whilst the appearances of Brian McLair. Danny McGrain, Peter Grant and Tommy Burns would have singled this game out from most. All of them together must have been against the odds ?

• Agree 1

On 6 May 2015 21:48:13, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

Who can recall this Weegie ground ?

post-25-0-17450800-1430945286_thumb.jpg

On 7 May 2015 08:52:18, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

Could be. It is taken by mantis but not sure if it is CTO one - you know the most liked teacher

Not the Caley game. If it wasn't so dark you would see it was a 10000 sellout. Last ever game at Broomfield v Dunfermline, May 1994. 

• 1 month later...

The old in the new ?

Rothes made a little bit of Highland League history at the weekend when they fielded two trialists with a combined age of 106.

But the veteran duo are not planning on playing again after the club’s 7-0 loss at Wick Academy.

Committee man and former Rothes midfielder Derek Thomson, 51, who is in charge of team affairs until a successor to Paul Lamberton and Willie Duncan is found, came off the bench after only 18 minutes when Craig MacMillan picked up an injury.

But he is a comparative youngster compared to another former Mackessack Park favourite, 55-year-old Gordon Younie, who led the frontline doggedly for the entire 90 minutes.

ROTHES-PAIR-MONT-660x496.jpg