Old Highland League days....

Tichy_Blacks_Back

WTF

Aaaah! Wallace Merger and the Rebel Nine! This, in 1986, was the latest of a series of false dawns and in this case a specific indication was made that Inverness could become involved. One of the most interested was Thistle chairman Jock McDonald.

However the Rebel Nine then made peace with the SFL and the plan collapsed.

When that happened, I had the task of interviewing a furious Jock who complained bitterly about being "sold down the river". The fact that the interview was done at Telford Street after a 7-0 midweek defeat for Jags by Caley didn't help Jock's temper that night!

Talking of 1986....

This I presume is an occasion which would delight any fan of the side which won the honour the following season - Harry McFadden's Forres Mechanics beating Caley 2-0 at a somewhat advert free Mossett Park to win the 1986 Highland League title.

It looked like Kevin Mann who gave away the free kick which led to the opening goal for the "chocolate and gold" side.

There are also some interesting glimpses throughout - a rather younmg looking Highland League Secretary John Grant, a bearded Trevor Martin taking photos, some very short shorts and an advert for the then new league sponsors RB Farquhar.

• 2 weeks later...

I wonder where the steelwork above the tunnel is now?

kingsmillsbig.jpg

A-zpUMHCQAEPkZ3.jpg

A ladies' toilet at Kinsmills Park? I had no idea the Jags were so gender-considerate :laugh:

And as for the "Keep Clear" notice in the upper photo, was that not the natural order of things anyway at the Jags' turnstiles? :lol:

Edited by Charles Bannerman